Elite Dangerous

Still wrapping my head around this game. The learning curve is steep but in a good way. I bought a flight stick specifically for this and I'm glad I did.

Ran my first mission and got stuck trying to find my landing pad on some remote outpost. Where I needed to be looked like it was inside the station - but there were no bays to fly into...

Some landing pads are on the outside of the smaller stations. They give you a landing pad number on your radar and the pad will glow with the number above it.

The Vulture is the best I've flown, but one day I'll try out a Python, a Fer-De-Lance, or an Imperial Clipper. I just like maneuverability of the Vulture. I've heard a Federal Assault Ship (FAS) is like it in most respects, too. I just don't play the game much for combat anymore, I'd be rusty as hell out there, lol.

I find mining to be both fun...and boring...if that makes any sense. I like the peace and quiet and routine of it, for a while anyway.

But we seem to have enough players here that some of us should form a VN wing one day, lol.

I haven't seen a Vulture for sale, but those big Federalist ships are badass looking. I'll have to go look for the Vulture somewhere tonight.

So it's like Minecraft. Boring but sometimes fun and peaceful. I get it.

Man I really hope they get cross play sometime. I think everyone is spread out.

I haven't seen a Vulture for sale, but those big Federalist ships are badass looking. I'll have to go look for the Vulture somewhere tonight.

So it's like Minecraft. Boring but sometimes fun and peaceful. I get it.

Man I really hope they get cross play sometime. I think everyone is spread out.

Head to a "High Tech" system and look for a station with a shipyard. They keep most of the good ships in stock.

The Vulture has some teeth and agility, but she also has heat issues. She's fun to fly but you may have to power down some modules to prevent overheating in combat if you ever buy one.

re: Mining, yeah it's similar in that regard. You may want to kill yourself after the 15th straight rock that is a lackluster material. But you can turn mining into more of an adventure by going to an extraction site with a Kill Warrant Scanner equipped. You can mine AND bounty hunt all in one by scanning all the NPC pirates that pop-in to raid the other NPC miners and help blow them out of the sky. I would probably wait to do that in a mid-size ship like the Python, though, so you can equip mining lasers AND weaponry while still having some cargo room for mining.

And yeah, the instancing is still platform-based. But I'm Debris44 on the XB1 if any of you other VN'ers ever want to wing up sometime on the console version anyway (and in case we aren't thousands of light years from each other, lol)

Still wrapping my head around this game. The learning curve is steep but in a good way. I bought a flight stick specifically for this and I'm glad I did.

Ran my first mission and got stuck trying to find my landing pad on some remote outpost. Where I needed to be looked like it was inside the station - but there were no bays to fly into...

Ah yes. The learning curve for landing at a space station. I remember that. Can't tell you how many times I ran into the tower in front of the landing pad, tried to land without my landing gear down, tried to land the wrong way, etc. It can be frustrating, but I would definitely​ learn how without a computer doing it for you. Saves you a module space to use for something else.

The Vulture is the best I've flown, but one day I'll try out a Python, a Fer-De-Lance, or an Imperial Clipper. I just like maneuverability of the Vulture. I've heard a Federal Assault Ship (FAS) is like it in most respects, too. I just don't play the game much for combat anymore, I'd be rusty as hell out there, lol.

I find mining to be both fun...and boring...if that makes any sense. I like the peace and quiet and routine of it, for a while anyway.

But we seem to have enough players here that some of us should form a VN wing one day, lol.

I agree, but I am on PC and I believe everyone else is on XBox.

Head to a "High Tech" system and look for a station with a shipyard. They keep most of the good ships in stock.

The Vulture has some teeth and agility, but she also has heat issues. She's fun to fly but you may have to power down some modules to prevent overheating in combat if you ever buy one.

re: Mining, yeah it's similar in that regard. You may want to kill yourself after the 15th straight rock that is a lackluster material. But you can turn mining into more of an adventure by going to an extraction site with a Kill Warrant Scanner equipped. You can mine AND bounty hunt all in one by scanning all the NPC pirates that pop-in to raid the other NPC miners and help blow them out of the sky. I would probably wait to do that in a mid-size ship like the Python, though, so you can equip mining lasers AND weaponry while still having some cargo room for mining.

And yeah, the instancing is still platform-based. But I'm Debris44 on the XB1 if any of you other VN'ers ever want to wing up sometime on the console version anyway (and in case we aren't thousands of light years from each other, lol)

I'll add you

Ah yes. The learning curve for landing at a space station. I remember that. Can't tell you how many times I ran into the tower in front of the landing pad, tried to land without my landing gear down, tried to land the wrong way, etc. It can be frustrating, but I would definitely​ learn how without a computer doing it for you. Saves you a module space to use for something else.

I think he said he's using the flight stick, but how I learned how to land required me to flip the control scheme on the Xbox controller to be more like a first person shooter. I have my pitch and yaw on the left stick and the roll on the right stick. Then I had my vertical and horizontal thrusters set to the right stick's alternative control scheme so I could line up over the landing point. And it may be unconventional, but I learned a lot about how to approach a landing pad using the docking computer. It really helped me know the speed and angle needed to land.

I've only recently learned how to do a planetary landing without over/under shooting the base by 100 km lol

I can get on the pad pretty easily - my problem is a never land the right way they want me to - which has me yelling at the screen "I'm on the f@#$in pad, let me in!!"

I can get on the pad pretty easily - my problem is a never land the right way they want me to - which has me yelling at the screen "I'm on the f@#$in pad, let me in!!"

lol, you're going through what everyone who has ever played this game has gone through, believe me.

Reactions: 1 person

I raged so damn hard at this same thing. You have to be facing the landing pad's number.

To let you know if you're turned the right way, your ship will be facing straight ahead on the radar rather than facing you.

Attachments

• IMG_0658.jpg
    IMG_0658.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0659.JPG
    IMG_0659.JPG
    43.4 KB · Views: 38

Been there. Done that. Happened again when the game didn't load correctly when I entered the station and while I was trying to land it was still rotating. I was getting so mad before I figured out what was going on. I was like, "why the crap am I just floating to the left!?!"

I raged so damn hard at this same thing. You have to be facing the landing pad's number.

To let you know if you're turned the right way, your ship will be facing straight ahead on the radar rather than facing you.

pro tip!! thanks GBO!

Everything I'm hearing is that bounty hunting offers the most bang for buck starting out. You guys agree?

So far, I've been cherry picking high paying delivery missions

Everything I'm hearing is that bounty hunting offers the most bang for buck starting out. You guys agree?

Try this

1. Find a system with some ring planets
2. Check navigation to see if the rings have extraction zones
3. Find the nearest space port in the system (to go sell your bounties at), and a "high" or "hazardous" extraction zone.
4. Go to the extraction zone, fly around until you see some space cops (Federartion, for example). Follow them until they find a wanted ship. Wait until they fire first, then fly up to that enemy ship, scan it to see if it is wanted (it will be, or they wouldn't be blasting it) and start firing on it too. If your reticle turns red, you've made a hit. Now keep firing little shots at it until they eventually kill it.
5. Profit

Or you can fly around the extraction zone and look for wanted dudes yourself (scan them) and wait until the Feds show up. I'd let them do the heavy lifting first early on. Also remember to and turn in your bounties because if you die you'll lose them...

Last edited:
Try this

1. Find a system with some ring planets
2. Check navigation to see if the rings have extraction zones
3. Find the nearest space port in the system (to go sell your bounties at), and a "high" or "hazardous" extraction zone.
4. Go to the extraction zone, fly around until you see some space cops (Federartion, for example). Follow them until they find a wanted ship. Wait until they fire first, then fly up to that enemy ship, scan it to see if it is wanted (it will be, or they wouldn't be blasting it) and start firing on it too. If your reticle turns red, you've made a hit. Now keep firing little shots at it until they eventually kill it.
5. Profit

Or you can fly around the extraction zone and look for wanted dudes yourself (scan them) and wait until the Feds show up. I'd let them do the heavy lifting first early on. Also remember to and turn in your bounties because if you die you'll lose them...

This is the exact strategy I've heard of watching youtube vids. Glad to see it is still relevant

Yes. Bounty hunting is what I do and I usually get 5mil over 1-1.5 hours with my buddy who has a Clipper. Those delivery missions are good, too. Especially when you get multiples to the same system.

If I were you I would bounty hunt. Also, stay in a system that has a hazardous zone very close to a station. I can tell you the system I am in if you wish. Has a station right next to 2 hazardous areas. Also, stay in that system for a little bit because you will upgrade to "friendly" with the peeps in that system which gives you better and higher paying missions.

Also, hazardous zones do not have cops. Nor do cops show up. So if you are alone I would suggest what Big Orange said and go to a High zone.

Hit some HAZ zones tonight and, like a lion stalking gazelle, laid in wait for the weak ones to get get near me. Racked up over 400k in credits! got a little too bold after that and decided to take on a Viper at 90% by myself... that didn't end well =D

Hit some HAZ zones tonight and, like a lion stalking gazelle, laid in wait for the weak ones to get get near me. Racked up over 400k in credits! got a little too bold after that and decided to take on a Viper at 90% by myself... that didn't end well =D

Haha yeah, me and a couple of buddies lost 1+ mil in bounties in a hazardous. Now that we know you lose them on death, we don't get so cocky.

My buddy and I at first were bounty hunting in a High zone. Then twice I got destroyed by the cops because both times a dumb cop ship decided to fly in front of my firing onto a bounty ship. So they all turned on me which is dumb. Lost a total of 4-5mil from those 2 instances.

Just one shot turns all of the cops against you. Even if the reason is as ludicrous as what happened to me. They really need to change that part of the game, imo. That's the reason we fight in a HAZ zone now.

My buddy and I at first were bounty hunting in a High zone. Then twice I got destroyed by the cops because both times a dumb cop ship decided to fly in front of my firing onto a bounty ship. So they all turned on me which is dumb. Lost a total of 4-5mil from those 2 instances.

Just one shot turns all of the cops against you. Even if the reason is as ludicrous as what happened to me. They really need to change that part of the game, imo. That's the reason we fight in a HAZ zone now.

I think they may have changed that, but I'm not 100%

If I lock on to a wanted target and fire at it, even when cops fly between us, I've never seen my shots land on a cop. And that happens a lot.

If I lock on to a wanted target and fire at it, even when cops fly between us, I've never seen my shots land on a cop. And that happens a lot.

All I know is that it would be nice to have that 4-5mil back lol

Also, if you are Federation-allied and/or friendly with the faction they become a bit more accepting of stray hits.

VN Store

Back