Elite Dangerous

Anyone play this on PC? I'm on the fence...

I'm on Xbox. It has "wings" where you can fly with friends and keep up with where they are in the galaxy, but aside from rolling together to hunt bounties, I haven't found much co-op. We mostly just party chat and do our own things. I like to run tourist passengers and data from system to system. My buddies like mining and cargo runs. I'm not a flight sim person, so I wasn't expecting much but I've put dozens of hours into the past week or so.

How often do you encounter other players? Is everyone pretty much hostile towards each other?

How often do you encounter other players? Is everyone pretty much hostile towards each other?

You can play solo, Private with friends, or open, so whatever you want. In private and solo there are always NPC ships around. Some are hostile if you're carrying something illegal or cargo they want.

Yeah, Open is a mixed bag. You'll encounter what people call "griefers" out there but most of the time they are just playing the game and people get really sensitive about it. There are a great deal of people that will help new players out there and you can join wings which of course will greatly increase your odds of fending off the "griefing" community.

You can also join private groups so if you just want to fly with friends and run missions, trade, mine, explore, or do PvE you can do that.

You can play in solo, which is usually what I do as an explorer, just because I don't want my millions upon millions of exploration credits getting wiped out by one griefer when I return to explored space.

You can also do Multi-Crew, which is a new feature in the latest patch where regardless of where you are in the galaxy you can either host or join someone else's session as a hologram and occupy just one component of the ship. If you host, then you're the pilot. Or you can man weapons or shields/utilities in someone else's ship. I haven't tried it, and financially it's not too viable (in-game) but it looks like a blast and I'll probably try it out when I get back to explored space again.

So you roll with your credits on you at all times? No way to stash?

So you roll with your credits on you at all times? No way to stash?

Well, you don't roll with your credits on you per se. Basically, if you grind up to buy a ship you also want to make sure you have enough money for *insurance* should you get destroyed for some reason. The more expensive the ship and the higher the class of modules you buy to fit it out = more insurance necessary. So if you buy a $1,000,000 ship you may want a couple million to fit it out properly and another couple million to cover you in the event you're killed, that kind of thing. If you don't have enough to cover insurance, then you start out in the basic starter ship.

In my situation as an explorer, I equip discovery scanners that net me funds from my discoveries. However, should I get killed before I *bank* those discoveries at a populated station, I'd lose all the data. So when I'm exploring I play in solo. However, when I feel like some combat/trade/social networking in populated space I'll throw it into open or wing up with a friend or two.

Reactions: 1 person
It has a very Souls feel to it. It doesn't beat you over the head with story or tutorials, but the help is there just enough to get you on your feet. Once you figure something out, it is immensely rewarding compared to following a scripted event in a story driven game. You make the character who you want them to be and specialize in what you want. The community is either very helpful (Sunbros) or they're playing the bad guy (red invaders), and dying without banking your data and bounties comes with a consequence.

It's like a 24,000 light year journey... I won't be doing it anytime soon haha

I've been noticing those. I see a lot of extremely high distances ones like the 24k light year journey. Saw one for almost 40k once. I want to do some, but never get any good ones that are worth the money payout compared to the distance traveled. I'm not traveling 200 light years for a measly 300k credits. I can get that quickly while bounty hunting. In a couple hours a bud and I got 5mil credits just bounty hunting in a Hazardous area.

Also, saw my first neutron start the other day. That was pretty epic. I really wanna see a black hole.

Oh, yes it takes a while. You'll want to clear your missions and your general life calendar. You may want to plug in some headphones so that "Frame Shift Drive charging" doesn't start to cause space psychosis after a while.

I am usually making jokes about how the lady sounds like she is saying "Friendship Drive" lol

I've been noticing those. I see a lot of extremely high distances ones like the 24k light year journey. Saw one for almost 40k once. I want to do some, but never get any good ones that are worth the money payout compared to the distance traveled. I'm not traveling 200 light years for a measly 300k credits. I can get that quickly while bounty hunting. In a couple hours a bud and I got 5mil credits just bounty hunting in a Hazardous area.

Also, saw my first neutron start the other day. That was pretty epic. I really wanna see a black hole.

I got too close to a white dwarf the other day and burned up :/

The system I'm going to now has a black hole. Maia B, I think.

How did you do that? How can you tell it is an unexplored system?

I was about 1,000 light years from the start and jumping from star to star, scooping, advance discovery, then checking the system map. It will say "discovered by John Smith" over each planet or it won't say discovered by anyone. Fly over to it and do a detailed surface scan, then take the cartographic information back home and sell it. It will say you were the first to discover them.

Curiosity just got the better of me and I snapped this up on Steam for 30 bucks. Downloading it now

I was about 1,000 light years from the start and jumping from star to star, scooping, advance discovery, then checking the system map. It will say "discovered by John Smith" over each planet or it won't say discovered by anyone. Fly over to it and do a detailed surface scan, then take the cartographic information back home and sell it. It will say you were the first to discover them.

This is pretty much my Elite career in the game. If you want to explore this is basically the routine:

a.) get a good exploration ship (Diamondback Explorer, Cobra, ASP, etc.)

b.) buy/equip the right modules (highest class FS drive you can equip, advanced discovery scanner, detailed surface scanner, fuel scoop, a repair unit, heat sinks, etc.) get rid of your weapons, you won't need them and weigh you down

c.) put the advanced discovery scanner in your fire groups

d.) plot a course within 1,000 light years (that's the galaxy map limit) from wherever in the bubble you are now. It also helps if you plot a course using only scoopable stars (KGB-FOAM class stars) so that you never have to worry about ending up in a stretch of T-tauri or brown dwarfs that you can't get fuel from. Continue adding 1,000 ly increments as you reach your destination to go deeper into the black for as long as you want to go out or towards something you want to see (Sagittarius A, nebulae, etc.)

e.) jump from system to system using your advanced scanner. I use the B-right/B-left shortcuts to quickly bring up the system map. From looking at the system map, I will typically know instantly if there's then anything I want to scan further.

f.) basically, if you hover the reticle over the star from the system map you'll have an immediate idea if they've been discovered or not. It'll say "Discovered by [Gamertag]" underneath the name. More than likely any planets in that system will have been discovered too if you see that (although that's not always the case)

g.) you probably won't find many undiscovered systems for the first 20-50 jumps after leaving the inhabited space. This differs though for everyone, some trips I've taken I found undiscovered stuff within a handful of jumps, other trips I was basically running into everyone's discoveries for 50+ jumps.

h.) when you find systems that are unexplored, scan the star, then look at the planets from the system map. There are clues to tell you if they are worth exploring with your detailed scanner or not. Plain white worlds are likely all icy bodies and worth extremely little (vs. the time investment) to scan them. But high metal content worlds, water worlds, Earth-like worlds, and most gas giants (with or without rings) are all generally worth your time and effort. You can actually even listen to the sounds the planets make on the map if your audio settings are right, they will give you clues/hints as to what they are.

i.) some things are worth scanning even if they are discovered. Things like earth-like worlds, water worlds, neutron stars, white dwarfs, and black holes (I've yet to find a black hole that was undiscovered already). However, though you won't get the "1st discovery" bonus or your name on them, they will still net you a good amount of credits when you bank them.

j.) rinse, repeat until you're just plain tired of it or delirious from the trip

k.) go home or to one of the systems out in the black (there are systems along the Colonia Highway) that you can bank your scanned data. Whatever you turn in before anyone else does that was unexplored at the time of scanning will become credited to you. I banked over 25 million credits on my last trip, and probably have my name on over 500 systems at this point.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
This is pretty much my Elite career in the game. If you want to explore this is basically the routine:

a.) get a good exploration ship (Diamondback Explorer, Cobra, ASP, etc.)

b.) buy/equip the right modules (highest class FS drive you can equip, advanced discovery scanner, detailed surface scanner, fuel scoop, a repair unit, heat sinks, etc.) get rid of your weapons, you won't need them and weigh you down

c.) put the advanced discovery scanner in your fire groups

d.) plot a course within 1,000 light years (that's the galaxy map limit) from wherever in the bubble you are now. It also helps if you plot a course using only scoopable stars (KGB-FOAM class stars) so that you never have to worry about ending up in a stretch of T-tauri or brown dwarfs that you can't get fuel from. Continue adding 1,000 ly increments as you reach your destination to go deeper into the black for as long as you want to go out or towards something you want to see (Sagittarius A, nebulae, etc.)

e.) jump from system to system using your advanced scanner. I use the B-right/B-left shortcuts to quickly bring up the system map. From looking at the system map, I will typically know instantly if there's then anything I want to scan further.

f.) basically, if you hover the reticle over the star from the system map you'll have an immediate idea if they've been discovered or not. It'll say "Discovered by [Gamertag]" underneath the name. More than likely any planets in that system will have been discovered too if you see that (although that's not always the case)

g.) you probably won't find many undiscovered systems for the first 20-50 jumps after leaving the inhabited space. This differs though for everyone, some trips I've taken I found undiscovered stuff within a handful of jumps, other trips I was basically running into everyone's discoveries for 50+ jumps.

h.) when you find systems that are unexplored, scan the star, then look at the planets from the system map. There are clues to tell you if they are worth exploring with your detailed scanner or not. Plain white worlds are likely all icy bodies and worth extremely little (vs. the time investment) to scan them. But high metal content worlds, water worlds, Earth-like worlds, and most gas giants (with or without rings) are all generally worth your time and effort. You can actually even listen to the sounds the planets make on the map if your audio settings are right, they will give you clues/hints as to what they are.

i.) some things are worth scanning even if they are discovered. Things like earth-like worlds, water worlds, neutron stars, white dwarfs, and black holes (I've yet to find a black hole that was undiscovered already). However, though you won't get the "1st discovery" bonus or your name on them, they will still net you a good amount of credits when you bank them.

j.) rinse, repeat until you're just plain tired of it or delirious from the trip

k.) go home or to one of the systems out in the black (there are systems along the Colonia Highway) that you can bank your scanned data. Whatever you turn in before anyone else does that was unexplored at the time of scanning will become credited to you. I banked over 25 million credits on my last trip, and probably have my name on over 500 systems at this point.

Great advice.

Have you tried anything else? It seems I make more money doing passenger and deep space exploration/tourism than anything else I've tried.

Great advice.

Have you tried anything else? It seems I make more money doing passenger and deep space exploration/tourism than anything else I've tried.

I've tried everything pretty much, except passengers. I've researched it but still haven't outfitted a ship with a cabin yet and run the missions.

Exploration got a bump in the last patch based on the amount of credits earned for certain types of scans.

However, if you buy a good combat ship, bounty hunting is probably far more profitable per the time you actually spend doing it. Going to Conflict Zones, Compromised Nav Beacons, or Hazardous Extraction Sites are all your best possible paydays, especially if you can find one that has a close station for repair/restock and just come back and rinse/repeat. You'll make far more faster doing that than exploration, but I just personally love exploration and I'm sitting at over 100,000,000 credits now mostly just exploring. However, the negative to that is that I've only played about 10-15 times in the last 4-5 months, too.

There are also "rare item" trading routes that yield high payouts if you prefer to go the trading route. Also buying T6/T7/T9s and running legitimate trade routes can be pretty profitable.

I've also done mining, which is not very lucrative, but similar to exploration can be relaxing and less stressful than bounty hunting. Basically your path to making money there is to mine Painite, Palladium, and Platinum (the 3 P's) in Pristine Metallic ring systems. You basically have to refit your entire ship for that, though, to use limpets, a refinery, etc.

Last edited:
I've tried everything pretty much, except passengers. I've researched it but still haven't outfitted a ship with a cabin yet and run the missions.

Exploration got a bump in the last patch based on the amount of credits earned for certain types of scans.

However, if you buy a good combat ship, bounty hunting is probably far more profitable per the time you actually spend doing it. Going to Conflict Zones, Compromised Nav Beacons, or Hazardous Extraction Sites are all your best possible paydays, especially if you can find one that has a close station for repair/restock and just come back and rinse/repeat. You'll make far more faster doing that than exploration, but I just personally love exploration and I'm sitting at over 100,000,000 credits now mostly just exploring. However, the negative to that is that I've only played about 10-15 times in the last 4-5 months, too.

There are also "rare item" trading routes that yield high payouts if you prefer to go the trading route. Also buying T6/T7/T9s and running legitimate trade routes can be pretty profitable.

I've also done mining, which is not very lucrative, but similar to exploration can be relaxing and less stressful than bounty hunting. Basically your path to making money there is to mine Painite, Palladium, and Platinum (the 3 P's) in Pristine Metallic ring systems. You basically have to refit your entire ship for that, though, to use limpets, a refinery, etc.

Yeah, I've got to around 27,000,000 from exploration and running tourists to various places around the bubble's edge. Two birds with one stone. One "famous explorer" wants to take a trip to Sag A but is only paying 30 mil for the 48,000ly trip. I'm sure, like you, I'd make more from the exploration on that trip than from his payment.

What's the best combat ship you've flown? I'm content with my Asp for exploration, and would like an Orca or Beluga for luxury passengers, but I've done very little combat outside of NPCs in the asteroid belts. I'm not sure if cargo would be my sort of thing, as the interdictions are crazy in my experience. Once I settle on doing some planetary exploration, I definitely plan on doing some mining, however.

Still wrapping my head around this game. The learning curve is steep but in a good way. I bought a flight stick specifically for this and I'm glad I did.

Ran my first mission and got stuck trying to find my landing pad on some remote outpost. Where I needed to be looked like it was inside the station - but there were no bays to fly into...

Still wrapping my head around this game. The learning curve is steep but in a good way. I bought a flight stick specifically for this and I'm glad I did.

Ran my first mission and got stuck trying to find my landing pad on some remote outpost. Where I needed to be looked like it was inside the station - but there were no bays to fly into...

Landing is arguably the hardest part of the game I've encountered, so don't feel bad lol

And if you really don't want to deal with landing, you can sacrifice an optional internal for a docking computer that does it for you. It's a crutch, yes, but I use it when I'm running passengers from system to system to avoid the headache and potential screw up on my part. I just swap it out when I go out into the deep.

Last edited:
What's the best combat ship you've flown? I'm content with my Asp for exploration, and would like an Orca or Beluga for luxury passengers, but I've done very little combat outside of NPCs in the asteroid belts. I'm not sure if cargo would be my sort of thing, as the interdictions are crazy in my experience. Once I settle on doing some planetary exploration, I definitely plan on doing some mining, however.

The Vulture is the best I've flown, but one day I'll try out a Python, a Fer-De-Lance, or an Imperial Clipper. I just like maneuverability of the Vulture. I've heard a Federal Assault Ship (FAS) is like it in most respects, too. I just don't play the game much for combat anymore, I'd be rusty as hell out there, lol.

I find mining to be both fun...and boring...if that makes any sense. I like the peace and quiet and routine of it, for a while anyway.

But we seem to have enough players here that some of us should form a VN wing one day, lol.

VN Store

Back