Did Filipowski get what he deserved?

I don't think you understand geometry. The fan would have completely missed the player had the player not goose stepped his leg out to trip the guy. The guy definitely deserved it because he was taunting the player but the player was walking slowly and looking right at the fan all the way. The player tripped the fan on purpose unless you can come up with video that shows the player's eyes were completely shut.

If you saw that Duke kid intentionally try to trip a student running full speed, then I saw Jabar Gaffney catch a perfect pass from Jesse Palmer in 2000. Held on to that pass for at least 2-3 seconds in Neyland’s north end zone before the UT defender knocked it out of his hands. 😂🤣

Last edited:
Reactions: volfanbill
I think the harshest penalties need to be reserved for the home school that rushes the court after beating a 6-loss visiting team. I mean, how bad does your team have to be, to find THAT worthy of court-storming?

The ACC should relegate Wake to the A10, just on principle.
It was Wake’s first sellout in 7 years. The last time they had a sellout was also against… checks notes … Duke.

I get that it was an emotional win and in all honesty a very good basketball game that Wake needed to win, but storming the court used to be reserved for monumental upsets, championships, crazy buzzer beaters. I don’t think this fits that criteria. If anything, just like this thread, it shows how much people pay attention to Duke. Easily the most polarizing brand in college basketball.

Reactions: VAVol85
Looks like he stuck out his foot to trip the Wake fan (who is giving him the bird). Filipowski said afterward he thought the Wake guy took him out intentionally. I think he's trying to play the victim when he's the perp! Bad sportsmanship on both guys parts. View attachment 622724

Honestly, we have no idea who did what intentionally, and this screen grab is not in the least bit convincing in any regard. All we know for certain is that the Wake kid should not have been in his face taunting him. Flipkowski didn't deserve to get injured, even if he tried to check somebody who was rushing him and catching him by surprise.

Put yourself in his shoes. You're emotional. You just lost. Somebody runs in your face aggressively to taunt you, and who knows what else, and split decision, you react with the slightest bit of violence, and you think you "deserve" to tear your ACL? No, bro.

I'm grateful to you @volfanbill for insisting that I show you stills. I decided to look further and look at this!
---

Below. F must be pissed because he looks immediately to punch the kid. He looks straight at the kid (who some falsely claim blindsided F 🤭) and balls his fist to punch him. 😮 Simultaneously he raises a forearm. The kid is looking off to his right. (As I showed in an earlier post, F has been looking straight at the kid for a while as he walked toward him. He did this instead of running off the court.) And note: The kid (fan) has plenty of room to pass by F, if F had not subsequently moved into the kid's path. F also clearly has plenty of room on the left to dodge the fan. F could even to stand still and avoid contact.
View attachment 623059
Below. F continues to stare the kid down, appearing ready to use a punch and forearm shiver as the kid moves nearer. The kid is still not looking at F. F is going to blindside the kid.
View attachment 623060
Below. Now the kid finally sees F. F has meanwhile positioned himself in front of the kid with a foot and with his fist still balled. Now the kid can no longer get around F. And he can't stop. The kid's body language is non threatening. He looks like he raises his index finger in the #1 sign.
View attachment 623062
Below. F now leans toward the kid with his upper body and completely blocks the kid's way by raising his foot. F clearly intends to cause a collision. He has made it unavoidable. He intends to trip the kid.
View attachment 623068
Below: F trips the kid intentionally. The kid never makes contact with F -- except for being on the receiving end of F's extended arms, shoving the tripped kid to the hardwood. The kid absolutely did not run into F. It was the other way around. The kid absolutely did not blindside F. It's clear beyond every shadow of a doubt.
View attachment 623069

Below: Now this is sad. As a result of F deliberately tripping a kid running at speed, in the tangle up that F initiated completely on his own, F may have injured his own knee and/or ankle by the force of contact and the twisting action that the helpless kid's falling body occasioned. Tripping the kid put F off balance, and F may also or otherwise have accidentally injured himself by landing awkwardly on the ankle he used to sweep the kid's legs and shove the kid to the floor. F's injuries, if he is injured, are 100% self inflicted.
View attachment 623070
View attachment 623071

---
In summary, F saw the fan. F walked directly to the fan. F failed to avoid the fan by merely standing still or by making use of all the open space to his left. F balled his fist and raised a forearm in preparation for the collision before the fan ever saw F. F wholly initiated the collision. F used his lower leg -- knee and ankle -- to intentionally sweep the running kid's legs, and shoved the kid to the hardwood with his arms.

Some "martyr" this guy makes. Disgusting.

As an added bonus, I also provide you with clear evidence that F had two different routes to run off the court, instead of stalking this kid and looking to "make a point." See also the path of a different Duke player, further from the Duke bench and nearer to the onrushing fans, who successfully ran off court. He apparently wanted to flee any contact and get to the locker room. The difference seems to be that F was angry and wanted to make the someone pay. If F injured his knee and/or ankle, it was the clear result of his own reckless and violent actions.

View attachment 623072
---
Btw, I have never said "Filipowski got what he deserved." I think that is a bad thread title. I don't even know what it is supposed to mean. Does it mean did F deserve to trip the kid and throw him to the ground? Does it mean did he deserve to be a cause celebre and martyr? I'm not interested in all that. I just wanted to see for myself what happened. I'm baffled by the antagonism.
IMG_1163.jpeg

Wake Forest did not prepare properly. Never hear of players injured during court stormings because security shields the opposing team and ropes off an area for them to get away.

Did the young lady who ran on the field after the win over Bama and got hit by the Alabama receiver get what she deserved?

Honestly, we have no idea who did what intentionally, and this screen grab is not in the least bit convincing in any regard. All we know for certain is that the Wake kid should not have been in his face taunting him. Flipkowski didn't deserve to get injured, even if he tried to check somebody who was rushing him and catching him by surprise.

Put yourself in his shoes. You're emotional. You just lost. Somebody runs in your face aggressively to taunt you, and who knows what else, and split decision, you react with the slightest bit of violence, and you think you "deserve" to tear your ACL? No, bro.
He plays for Duke, which renders your otherwise reasonable post as nonsensical and unreasonable.

Looks like he stuck out his foot to trip the Wake fan (who is giving him the bird). Filipowski said afterward he thought the Wake guy took him out intentionally. I think he's trying to play the victim when he's the perp! Bad sportsmanship on both guys parts. View attachment 622724
I agree. From the original video it did look like he tried to trip or make contact with the fan and it backfired on him.

I feel any player trapped on a court or a field during a fan rush should be allowed to go full Mike Curtis (one of my all time favorite football players) on anyone of them in their way. Hats off to the player if he went on the offensive like some of you are fully convinced he did. The best defense is a good offense, in that situation. That said, frankly I think he was just trying to get through the mob and what happened, happened randomly.

Reactions: NashVol11
It also looks a lot like walking. Perhaps watching the video instead of a screen capture would clear up your confusion.
Not confused. I've looked at it numerous times. No doubt in my mind Filipowski was trying to trip the obnoxious fan. He was looking straight at the guy and stuck his leg out to trip him.

Not confused. I've looked at it numerous times. No doubt in my mind Filipowski was trying to trip the obnoxious fan. He was looking straight at the guy and stuck his leg out to trip him.
I don't understand why both things can't be true. He was absolutely trying to trip and push the fan and schools need to do more to stop court storming. Being 100% honest I would say the same thing if it was a Vol that tried to trip another schools fan and got his leg banged up. jmo

Agree, but according to the Duke basketball/UT football "fans" on VN, your eyes are playing tricks on you and you are just saying this because you have a hatred for Duke

It also looks a lot like walking. Perhaps watching the video instead of a screen capture would clear up your confusion.
Nobody takes that big of steps, not even 6’11 dudes. He also put his hands on him and shoved the kid down. Nobody was going to touch him just like 99.5% of the time fans rush the court/field.

Agree, but according to the Duke basketball/UT football "fans" on VN, your eyes are playing tricks on you and you are just saying this because you have a hatred for Duke
Your “fans” bull$hit is so played out . You do this every year.

VN Store

Back