David Johnson new WR coach

excellent would-be hire...I've seen a lot of Memphis Tiger football this past season...the guys run great routes and good hands...

Reactions: 1 person
A great hire. Memphis has played super well at the WR position since hes been there. Good recruiter too from what I hear. Its good to have a connection in west TN.

Is it me or has dropped balls been a big issue for quite sometime?

Can't say much about contact drops but our receivers drop gift baskets. I'd never let them hold a baby.

Reactions: 1 person

Can't say much about contact drops but our receivers drop gift baskets. I'd never let them hold a baby.

Dropped balls, route running, just getting dang open seems to have been problems

Reactions: 3 people

Maybe the new training staff can get some of their balls to drop.

This was from his time at Tulane. One prediction: We’re going to HEAR him in practice. :)
[YOUTUBE]https://youtu.be/Ydr2Q1fPlTw[/YOUTUBE]

nice hire...Coach Johnson knows how to use stick'em responsibly...and,

GO VOLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not sold on Johnson's strength as a recruiter (4 recruits thus far for Memphis 2018 - 2 - 3*'s the rest 2 or below). However, I understand he is a great WR coach, so if he lives up to his reputation in that regard... great... he can work on the recruiting skills and that can come later. Right now, we need coaches who can coach!

His 2 and 3 star receivers would have destroyed a Butch Jones top 10 recruiting class on the field. Thinking that stars mean everything is a Butch-ism. I'm glad we have a coaching staff that can develop players now.

Reactions: 5 people
Tigers Mic'd Up Coach Johnson - YouTube

High energy guy who demands perfection. Great hire!
The one thing I noticed (other than his players can really catch) watching Memphis this year was how aggressive his receivers are. They made our guys look like guys out for a stroll with their girlfriends. If the "honey b" got his aggressiveness from Coach Johnson, then that shows me he has a great way of commutating. This is a great ability we have coming in.
I know the "honey b" was not the best example for sportsmanship, but do like being aggressive.

1st order of business: fix their stance. Still having flashbacks of seeing them almost sitting on the ground when the ball is snapped.

The Tigers passing O rocketed up to 7th in the nation last year. WR's have been greatly praised for their play under Johnson. LSU wanted him but he turned them down.

Not many WR coaches have resumes out there that good.
Not to downplay the Memphis receivers, they were great. But Memphis also had a really good throwing QB (who we should know). Not that I think you don't know, but remember, the best receivers can't catch without a good passing QB. Do we have one???

Amazing to be going after quality coaches that are highly regarded and actually getting them. It's been a rough time so I'm glad people are excited about joining Pruitt and staff on Rocky Top.

This is great hire their wr are very well coached ....high point ball are physical all around plus should be massive help in Memphis recruiting. Other than McClendon this was my choice from list I saw

1 thing to think about, when David Johnson was at Tulane the head coach was Curtis Johnson. Curtis Johnson is considered one of the best wr coach in the NFL. He coaches in New Orleans.

1 thing to think about, when David Johnson was at Tulane the head coach was Curtis Johnson. Curtis Johnson is considered one of the best wr coach in the NFL. He coaches in New Orleans.

That's great additional info, Thanks my friend.

I'm sure our new WR coach learned loads of things from that great WR coach that he uses now.

VFL...GBO!!!

Dawsey wasn’t all that as a Florida recruiter. That gets way overblown because there are so many good athletes in Florida. This guy is a better coach.

Of course top recruits will seek out the best position coaches that will develop them into NFL talent, so Johnson kind has a leg up on recruiting in that regard.

In hindsight, I think this was a bigger problem for cBJ than his game day coaching.

VN Store

Back