David Johnson new WR coach

This is a great catch. The only thing that would have made it better is if Johnson had the recruiting base in Florida that the FSU guy had...but Johnson does have solid inroads to Louisiana and we snagged Peyton from there.

Dawsey wasn’t all that as a Florida recruiter. That gets way overblown because there are so many good athletes in Florida. This guy is a better coach.

Reactions: 3 people
"No such thing as a bad ball"

You will see a differently level of physicality this year with them. I know, I know but JJ would mesh well with this coach, if he stops being a child.

For those of us who don’t know anything about him, can someone give some insight on why he’s a good hire?

I have a buddy who is a former Memphis player and has daily access to the program. He says he was the best recruiter on the Memphis staff. They had to play some of his recruits as frehmen this year. He said Johnson's family loved being in Memphis but the pay increase would be tough to overcome. My buddy will be really disappointed that he left.

Reactions: 5 people
I'm not sold on Johnson's strength as a recruiter (4 recruits thus far for Memphis 2018 - 2 - 3*'s the rest 2 or below). However, I understand he is a great WR coach, so if he lives up to his reputation in that regard... great... he can work on the recruiting skills and that can come later. Right now, we need coaches who can coach!

Man, I'm so glad it was Johnson out of the 3 finalists.
Between recruiting and coaching hires, it already feels like we're winning again. And winning feels so good.

Reactions: 1 person
I'm not sold on Johnson's strength as a recruiter (4 recruits thus far for Memphis 2018 - 2 - 3*'s the rest 2 or below). However, I understand he is a great WR coach, so if he lives up to his reputation in that regard... great... he can work on the recruiting skills and that can come later. Right now, we need coaches who can coach!

You have to realize it's Memphis. 3 stars are good there.

Reactions: 13 people

Tulane and Memphis. If you need context on his recruiting prowess.

Reactions: 5 people
Tigers Mic'd Up Coach Johnson - YouTube

High energy guy who demands perfection. Great hire!

Coach Johnson does ! Oh, I thought you were asking me a question.

In the vid -- I love how Coach Johnson predicts "You're probably not gonna look that smooth / you're not gonna look as smooth as me, but you can work on it" and sure enough, the first man up trips on his route !

Reactions: 2 people

You do not get many players higher than 3 stars at Memphis. His connections to HS football in Louisiana is a valuable asset.

If the ball goes in the air, we'll find a way to catch it---David Johnson

Not complicated and to the point.

I get that. I would think it's more fair to compare him to the other coaches on the Memphis staff. According to the 247 rankings (don't know how reliable that is) he was 6th on their staff in 2017 with 2 guys signed.

Or compare him to other coaches in his conference. In 2014 at Tulane he was ranked 49th in his conference. In 2015 he was ranked 58th in conference with 1 guy signed.

I'm just playing devil's advocate. He may be a great choice, I don't know. Just not sure how people can be certain based on a 3 minute vid and 1 great WR who was already good when Johnson got there.

If he can coach and help us with Memphis and LA this is a good hire. Been awhile since we dominated either of these areas, though certainly taken our share from Memphis.

I get that. I would think it's more fair to compare him to the other coaches on the Memphis staff. According to the 247 rankings (don't know how reliable that is) he was 6th on their staff in 2017 with 2 guys signed.

Or compare him to other coaches in his conference. In 2014 at Tulane he was ranked 49th in his conference. In 2015 he was ranked 58th in conference with 1 guy signed.

I'm just playing devil's advocate. He may be a great choice, I don't know. Just not sure how people can be certain based on a 3 minute vid and 1 great WR who was already good when Johnson got there.

Those rankings are science in liquid form. Couple of years ago, John Chavis was ranked highly on the national front.

You do not get many players higher than 3 stars at Memphis. His connections to HS football in Louisiana is a valuable asset.

Agreed. That was the main thing about Johnson I liked. Having inroads into some of the better programs in Louisiana will serve us well, especially for those players who want to get away from the mosquitoes.

VN Store

Back