David Johnson new WR coach

I'm not sold on Johnson's strength as a recruiter (4 recruits thus far for Memphis 2018 - 2 - 3*'s the rest 2 or below). However, I understand he is a great WR coach, so if he lives up to his reputation in that regard... great... he can work on the recruiting skills and that can come later. Right now, we need coaches who can coach!

well he was recruiting to Memphis

For those of us who don’t know anything about him, can someone give some insight on why he’s a good hire?

VN 101 - Just go with it. Personally, I know nothing about the guy, but if you don't chime in with "great hire!", you'll be labeled a nega. Then posters will randomly attack you and say, "You're not a true fan!" or "Go root for another team!" Forming your own opinion is highly frowned upon. It will make you no friends.

Great hire!

Reactions: 6 people
Can anyone say anything about his actual WR coaching ability other than Miller? We desperately need a quality WR coach again! Recruiting is great but on the field performance and leadership is more important!

Reactions: 1 person
The Tigers passing O rocketed up to 7th in the nation last year. WR's have been greatly praised for their play under Johnson. LSU wanted him but he turned them down.

Not many WR coaches have resumes out there that good.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
The Tigers passing O rocketed up to 7th in the nation last year. WR's have been greatly praised for their play under Johnson. LSU wanted him but he turned them down.

Not many WR coaches have resumes out there that good.

Needs to be highlighted.

I'm not sold on Johnson's strength as a recruiter (4 recruits thus far for Memphis 2018 - 2 - 3*'s the rest 2 or below). However, I understand he is a great WR coach, so if he lives up to his reputation in that regard... great... he can work on the recruiting skills and that can come later. Right now, we need coaches who can coach!

True. He seems to recruit a ton of LA guys too

BOOOOOOOOOMMMM!!!!

This guy is a real footVol coach that really knows how to coach them up and teach the kids how to play the WR position the right ways.

Pruitt and our other great recruiters will coach him up to become a better recruiter but we badly needed a WR coach that can, and has, made a big difference in moving the ball with a solid passing game.

Getting the Memphis passing game ranked all the way up to 7th in the nation is solid proof of what this coach can get accomplished.

Once again we should return to being known as WRU!

Get a solid O line and a QB that can thread the needle and we'll take back our WRU Title!

Our coaching Bald Brigade just got lots better!

I love it....WOOOOOO HOOOO!!!

VFL...GBO!!!

all you have to do is watch the memphis games...the production speaks for itself..
Strange isnt it....we were thinking about the head coach because of his offense but ended up getting the coach responsible for all the offensive production.

As i said yesterday when comparing the others we were supposedly looking at....David Johnson and it wasnt even close.

Jeremy Pruitt is going in big...100% to start with....he is going to bring it from day 1 no matter who is on the team....

Reactions: 3 people
Reactions: 3 people
Hearing solid technician of the game. Coaches em up hard, gets results. Online sources say he could be an NFL receivers coach someday soon.

I’d heard rumors he wanted a coach with high school experience and was in Tennessee right now, guess that panned out.

Last edited:
During Johnson's lone season (in 2016) at Memphis, wide receiver Anthony Miller took a big step forward in his development. Miller caught 47 passes for 694 yards the season before Johnson's arrival. In 2016, the former walk-on broke all of the school's major receiving records held by Pro Football Hall of Fame finalist Isaac Bruce, finishing with 95 receptions for 1,434 yards and 14 touchdowns.

During Johnson's lone season (in 2016) at Memphis, wide receiver Anthony Miller took a big step forward in his development. Miller caught 47 passes for 694 yards the season before Johnson's arrival. In 2016, the former walk-on broke all of the school's major receiving records held by Pro Football Hall of Fame finalist Isaac Bruce, finishing with 95 receptions for 1,434 yards and 14 touchdowns.

Is that from an article two seasons ago?

VN Store

Back