Cruitin' Forum Football Talk V

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I crazy that in all the hand wringing over the QB/WRs, I keep going back to the offensive line?

I can't help but think that if those 5 play up to their potential a lot of ills could be masked on offense.

Am I crazy that in all the hand wringing over the QB/WRs, I keep going back to the offensive line?

I can't help but think that if those 5 play up to their potential a lot of ills could be masked on offense.

We will have one of the best OL units in the country, no doubt. But, they can only do so much. They don't have the ball in their hands. New QB, young, inexperienced WRs, and a new system. That is not a mix that typically generates huge success in the first year. It is what it is.

What happened versus Florida? That's the only measuring stick I use these days. If they can't beat those guys I'm disappointed.....

Im right their with u BB. Thats the team I wanna beat the most and it would be even sweeter if it happened in the swamp.

We will have one of the best OL units in the country, no doubt. But, they can only do so much. They don't have the ball in their hands. New QB, young, inexperienced WRs, and a new system. That is not a mix that typically generates huge success in the first year. It is what it is.

True. I guess I'm just taking the optimistic view that at least the new and/or inexperienced QBs shouldn't be running for their lives.

You're right though, OL won't matter at all if they stand back and pat the ball all day, or the WRs can't get open.

Once the light comes on for North, he'll be a terror on offense. Who knows how long it'll take for that light to come on though. We've been waiting on the light to come on for Jacques Smith for 4 years now.

I think Jenkins is the dark horse out of all the Fr and So WR's this year. Pig better get his head straight.

I think i agree with you on the WRs - if our Oline plays as well as they are capable of and our RB's meet their potential i think we could still be very effective on offense

i mean Butch's system was effective last year at cincy with very mediocre (below avg) QB play

we do have some talent at those positions - it is young/not experienced but there is some ability so i am optimistic about our offense

It's still very early in the spring. I think some may be overreacting in regards to the QB/WR situation. I obviously don't expect those units to be at the top of the SEC, but I think most are forgetting what competent coaching can bring to the table.

Side note: Butch and Co. have done almost everything right so far in all facets of the program. Because of this, in my own mind, I can surmise that he and staff are "competent." I know at this point that means nothing though because Butch will ultimately be judged on wins and losses as he should be.

I'm not getting myself overly worried about the receiver issues right now, you see it every spring where the backups are lauded for their consistency.

I believe the starting three will be Bowles, Croom, and Pig. But we will see a lot of 4-5 receiver sets too so we will get guys on the field. Why else would Butch want so many receivers on a team if he can't swap them out to keep them fresh?

Every player on the team knowing where to be and what to do will make our team better this year. No more deer in the headlights moments, we've got ourselves a coach boys and girls! :yes:

Carter and Blanc have been on campus the same amount of time. Twas my point.

Carter is a senior. He was a walk on, he only showed last year. Blanc was making noise as an EE Freshman last year, so comparing EITHER of them to the other true sophomores is rather unfair.

Im right their with u BB. Thats the team I wanna beat the most and it would be even sweeter if it happened in the swamp.

I would just about give my left testicle to beat the Gators and the roll turds . :crazy: Yes, I want it that bad. :)

You are mistaken.

Cody Blanc has played football his entire life, including 4 full years of HS football at Knoxville Central HS. That is fact.

Was it Gray then that had only played one year? The point is, Blanc was highly underated coming into college and has showed out since the day he stepped onto campus last spring. That is also fact.

Carter is a senior. He was a walk on, he only showed last year. Blanc was making noise as an EE Freshman last year, so comparing EITHER of them to the other true sophomores is rather unfair.

Bowles and Pig made "noise" last year for a minute too. It's not unfair to compare them. But i do understand that they are only freshman and pig a sophmore. So hopefully they will progress. It's only March, so we should hold off this talk til July :hi:

When Michael Palardy lined up for a field-goal attempt during Tuesday's practice at the Neyland-Thompson indoor complex, Jones tried to distract him by poking a finger through the ear hole of the senior kicker's helmet.

First, Jones allows teammates to crowd Palardy to the point that he can smell their breath.

Increasing the pressure is the fact each kick scores a point for either the offense or the defense. That way half of the Vols are cheering Palardy and the other half are jeering him on each attempt. The kicker finds this adds drama.

"Absolutely," he said. "I'll kick for the offense one time, then for the defense. We'll go back and forth. It's positive pressure. My teammates support me, make or miss, so it's been really good."

Crowding the kicker and jeering him are two of the tamer distractions Jones and his minions employ in practice, however. Sometimes the head man addresses Palardy as Derrick Brodus or George Bullock, his kicking competitors.

"He'll say he forgot my name," Palardy recalled with a chuckle.

"They (teammates) are spraying water on me," Palardy said. "And coaches are throwing hats at me."

"Actually, I've kicked the best I have since I've been here," he said. "I feel real confident. I guess maybe that comes with age and experience. Coach Jones has really helped me with distractions."

"Coach Lawson has done an awesome job with the strength program," Palardy said. "I'm a lot stronger than I ever have been. Everything's been going really well."

"I've changed up a couple of things on field goals," he said. "Nothing major. I don't want to mess with anything but technique work in the offseason has definitely impacted that (height on kicks) a little bit."

"I'm a little shorter to the ball," he said. "That gives me a little less room for error. I feel like I've made a lot better contact on the ball, and contact is what makes the ball go far and high. That's been my main focus — keeping everything compact and tight."

-scout on Palardy

Reactions: 1 person
Helping push things along is Twitterverse as committed players, current Vols and signees are tweeting at prime targets to join them.

"It's changed everything because a guy here in Knoxville can find out and know about a guy down in Florida," Elder said. "Find him, talk to him, get in touch with him. I know when I was in high school, you barely knew the guy at a school next door to you, let alone four states away or something. So, it's completely different."

Vic Wharton has already earned his scholarship several times over with how he's hammered so many to hop on board. Another is current Tennessee safety Byron Moore. The California native is a redshirt senior and won't see the field with any of the 2014 and 2014 players he's bonding with, but he's giving his all for Tennessee anyhow.

"This is my school," Moore told IT. "This is my university. I love it here. Ever since I've been here I've only had good things happen to me and good things to say. So, it's just my way of giving back to the university since they're paying for me a scholarship, and I'm getting to play the game that I love. That's my way of trying to give back by helping them bring in the next big-time recruits that are going to follow in my footsteps. When I do come back like the former players now, I'll get to see a good product on the field and get to know that I helped get some of those guys here, just helping Tennessee get the wins when I'm gone."

Much of the staff now knows what regions it will recruit. Bajakian has Greater Knoxville and top quarterbacks. Steve Stripling has portions of the midwest and defensive linemen. Azzanni will be heavy in south Florida (where he signed a double-digit number of players for Central Michigan and Wisconsin) and Atlanta. Three other coaches will join Azzanni in the areas in and around Atlanta. Mark Elder has Memphis, Ohio and part of Nashville. Tommy Thigpen has Alabama and other parts of Nashville. In fact, as noted via Jones back in December, every staff member will have a portion of the Volunteer State.
-scout

Reactions: 2 people
I still think it's too early to worry about the WRs. Listening to coach and player interviews, it sounds like WR is a demanding position in this offense. A lack of familiarity with scheme has to be at least part of the "issue" with the WRs at this point in the spring.

If there are still concerns by the fall, I will be worried.

I would just about give my left testicle to beat the Gators and the roll turds . :crazy: Yes, I want it that bad. :)

Who will it go to?

I am not a Urologist, but how hard can it be to remove One? Right?

I will bring lots of lidocaine, scalpel and suture...:)

Was it Gray then that had only played one year? The point is, Blanc was highly underated coming into college and has showed out since the day he stepped onto campus last spring. That is also fact.

Cody is an unbelievable athlete, but I wouldn't say he was underrated as a football prospect. He put up average statistics on a bad team that played in one of the absolute worst districts in East TN HS football. His game film showed speed and potential, but he was a tweener and played terrible competition.

He started making a little noise the summer before his senior year, when he finally started hitting the camp & combine circuits. He earned offers from Vanderbilt and Virginia Tech before receiving one from UT. These were all based on the athletic abilities he showed during individual workouts for these teams. He is deceptively quick. But his knock was always what position he would play. He played RB in HS until his senior year. He then started to play some DB for CHS, as that was what he was expected to play at UT.

DB never quite worked out for him at UT and he obviously isn't a RB. He is very fast and has an unbelievable work ethic. He works his a** off. At WR he brings speed, size, and very crisp route-running to the table. But he is very raw at the position. I don't know how everything will work out or how much playing time Cody will receive next season, but he will do his best for the team and contribute in any way he can.

Reactions: 1 person
Who said Vandy isn't paying with the big boys?? :birgits_giggle::birgits_giggle:

Attachments

• vandy.jpg
    vandy.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 15
Reactions: 3 people
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back