Cruitin' Forum Football Talk V

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Florida loss last year is when I really began to believe that he wasn't the guy. After the Mississippi State loss I felt like it was confirmed.

I felt like he wasn't the guy the day Hamilton hired him and I asked "who the hell is Derek Dooley"? Answer: "A guy that had a losing record at La Tech"

season 1, too many men on the field penalty like 4 consecutive weeks had me questioning him.

The Loss to Kentucky was horrible, I was on the fence. the post game interview right after that Loss, is when I knew he was not the guy.

I convinced myself going into last season that it was going to come together. The FL game was when I hopped off the train, which wasn't a big deal because the damn thing had stalled out at that point.

The implosion against FL in the second half made it clear to me that Dooley was unable to get it done.

Major problems on the horizon if the others don't step up.

Croom was banged up all year last year, I imagine it's tough to come back without some rust. I don't know what Bowles' deal is, I thought he'd be competing for top WR by his sophomore year.

Croom was banged up all year last year, I imagine it's tough to come back without some rust. I don't know what Bowles' deal is, I thought he'd be competing for top WR by his sophomore year.

You forgot pig.... Devrin just switched positions and is beating him out so far...?

Wasn't Bowles hurt last season as well?

I'm not getting myself overly worried about the receiver issues right now, you see it every spring where the backups are lauded for their consistency.

I believe the starting three will be Bowles, Croom, and Pig. But we will see a lot of 4-5 receiver sets too so we will get guys on the field. Why else would Butch want so many receivers on a team if he can't swap them out to keep them fresh?

I'm not getting myself overly worried about the receiver issues right now, you see it every spring where the backups are lauded for their consistency.

I believe the starting three will be Bowles, Croom, and Pig. But we will see a lot of 4-5 receiver sets too so we will get guys on the field. Why else would Butch want so many receivers on a team if he can't swap them out to keep them fresh?

Dallas should get a lot of time this year.

From a poster on VQ.

I am back in Tennessee for the first time in 5 years and had the opportunity to go to practice on Thursday with my son. Coach Jones was great and signed a ball for the boy and gave him a hug. He definitely made my sons year. Practice was very high tempo and I was surprised by how much the team was able to cover in such a short period of time. Intensity never seemed to drop and every thing was a competition. As we where leaving my son saw CP and Justin Hunter and was able to get autographs from them also. My sons new favoright player is Eric Gordon. He was not in uniform, but he went out of his way to walk up to Brendan and talk with him about football and playing in the secondary. I am very impressed with the coaching staff and the men on the team. I can't wait to them take the field this fall.

Reactions: 1 person
Top 3 WR's right now?

"Wow, great question. Most consistent and productive are probably Blanc, Carter, and Dallas. But Devrin will factor in for sure."

- Hubbs

Short passes comin'.

We need North to be a man as soon as he gets on campus.

Devrin is the type of kid this staff can do damage with in their offense. This offense is all about putting guys in space to make plays. Devrin can do that as can pig.

Drae confuses me as when you see him in clips you see he is explosive and he is a hard worker. He must have been really poorly coached in high school which has him behind in technique or the staff is trying to keep him a secret in scouting reports. You don't hear him mentioned often but swain saw him and said he will be a beast. Confusing. If he can't beat out these guys they need to put him at linebacker.

I think the running game does pick up some slack this year. And once North and Jenkins get on campus, coupled with more practice time for Harris, Howard, et al., I think we'll be fine. Certainly not last year on the receiving end, but more than enough when you count in the most likely improved running game.

The passing game is going to be rough this year. Those WR's + a new QB could be a disaster.

We won't be nearly as bad as you are predicting. We have qbs that are capable of good things. We have a ton of talent at the wr position (if you think Devrin isn't very talented, you are in for a major surprise this season). We will be fine on offense. Defense....... We will see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back