Cord Cutters: Playstation Vue?

I had Sling but switched to PS Vue a few months ago, and I love it. It has by far there most reliable stream, and with the PS4 my guide works faster than my Comcast guide did.

So, got an email that I was accepted to the Hulu beta. They give you free Hulu while participating. I've logged in and set it up. Supposedly I'll get more info soon on starting the beta.

I'll update with impressions once it's running.

So, got an email that I was accepted to the Hulu beta. They give you free Hulu while participating. I've logged in and set it up. Supposedly I'll get more info soon on starting the beta.

I'll update with impressions once it's running.

Give me a code brah

Before I start crunching the numbers, thought I'd see if someone has already done the work...

I only have cable to watch sports (read: VOLS) All the ESPN networks plus SEC Network, NBC Sports would be a bonus- pretty much the only other stations we watch are TBS for Seinfeld reruns (but do watch it and TNT come NCAA Tourney time) and my wife likes Bravo occasionally. Otherwise I have an HD antenna for local and watch shows on Netflix or Amazon Plus.

Which streaming service is the best for this, and what kind of hardware do you recommend? Wife's parents got us AppleTV for Christmas, but we don't own any itunes content.

Last edited:
Before I start crunching the numbers, thought I'd see if someone has already done the work...

I only have cable to watch sports (read: VOLS) All the ESPN networks plus SEC Network, NBC Sports would be a bonus- pretty much the only other stations we watch are TBS for Seinfeld reruns (but do watch it and TNT come NCAA Tourney time) and my wife likes Bravo occasionally. Otherwise I have an HD antenna for local and watch shows on Netflix or Amazon Plus.

Which streaming service is the best for this, and what kind of hardware do you recommend? Wife's parents got us AppleTV for Christmas, but we don't own any itunes content.

The battle is won if you have an antenna set up. I'm not a big tv watcher so we canceled uverse and bought 3 roku sticks. We went with sling for a day and then found out you could only watch one device at a time on the mid tier package. I switched to the lowest tier Vue package that offers the sec network which I think ends up being the mid tier package for $35. But it streams on 5 devices. I've been happy with the roku stick but it's all I know. Vue is not quite as convenient as uverse but the $100+monthly discount makes it worth it. I also have Netflix and amazon prime on the stick. Since we were wired for cable, I installed some basic rabbit ears at the end of each cable run into the attic to take care of local channels. I think my Vue package has all of the channels you mentioned.

I have Sling and an Apple TV. I usually watch the games on the WatchESPN app rather than the Sling app; it seems to perform better. Recent functionality in the Apple TV makes it easier to enter your provider credentials (Sling, etc.) once and have it remembered for any of the channel
specific apps.

One other nice thing with the Apple TV is if you purchase the streaming service through iTunes you can take advantage of discounted iTunes gift cards to effectively get 10-20% off the charges.

Since you already have the Apple TV I would poke around the apps available on it and see if it fits.

I have Sling and an Apple TV. I usually watch the games on the WatchESPN app rather than the Sling app; it seems to perform better. Recent functionality in the Apple TV makes it easier to enter your provider credentials (Sling, etc.) once and have it remembered for any of the channel
specific apps.

One other nice thing with the Apple TV is if you purchase the streaming service through iTunes you can take advantage of discounted iTunes gift cards to effectively get 10-20% off the charges.

Since you already have the Apple TV I would poke around the apps available on it and see if it fits.

The AppleTV is still in the packaging. How do you use the watchespn app without having cable?

The AppleTV is still in the packaging. How do you use the watchespn app without having cable?

When you fire it up it prompts for the 'cable provider'. Sling TV qualifies so I use my account credentials for that.

Same thing with NBC Sports, Golf. I have vue and 2ith my subscription I also get watch ESPN and the NBC Sports ap which works like watch ESPN

Im about 99% sure we're going with PS Vue. We can use it with our Fire Stick.

Comcast wants $185/month for internet and cable (with the "HD fee", DVR box and addition box).

Im about 99% sure we're going with PS Vue. We can use it with our Fire Stick.

Comcast wants $185/month for internet and cable (with the "HD fee", DVR box and addition box).

You should try them all and see which you like best. I had Sling for a while, now I have DirecTV Now. They all offer a free trial period.

Vue has the best deal IMO. $65 for all channels plus HBO and Showtime.

Vue has the best deal IMO. $65 for all channels plus HBO and Showtime.

I got in with DTN on a promo. 100 channels for $35 and got a free Apple TV. HBO and Showtime are ad ons for $5 each

Be warned, Vue on a Fire Stick can be a frustrating experience. I'd recommend getting a fireTV box. It runs the app much better.

I got in with DTN on a promo. 100 channels for $35 and got a free Apple TV. HBO and Showtime are ad ons for $5 each

Can you stream on multiple devices at the same time? I thought I heard you can't.

*edit: I just looked it up, 2 devices at a time.

Last edited:
Be warned, Vue on a Fire Stick can be a frustrating experience. I'd recommend getting a fireTV box. It runs the app much better.

100% this. Running vue on a firestick is a bit frustrating. Works flawlessly on fire tv, Roku, and the console.

100% this. Running vue on a firestick is a bit frustrating. Works flawlessly on fire tv, Roku, and the console.

While the app and video works well on Roku, it should be pointed out the interface on there isn't the best. No traditional scrolling guide of shows coming on. It's just different and not like a normal cable box that you're used to.

VN Store

Back