Coach Martin and recruiting

How many dunks has maymon had this year?

How many dunks has he had for his whole career?

Have never seen Maymon do anything like what Turman did in the above two videos.

Turman will have more dunks than Maymon has his whole career as a freshman.

I haven't watched a ton of film on him but they don't sound like similar players.

How many dunks has maymon had this year?

How many dunks has he had for his whole career?

Have never seen Maymon do anything like what Turman did in the above two videos.

Turman will have more dunks than Maymon has his whole career as a freshman.

This really isn't a hard concept

I haven't watched a ton of film on him but they don't sound like similar players.

Turman's athleticism is more comparable to Stokes than Maymon. Maymon has had 1 dunk this year to the best of my recollection, Stokes isn't Montrez Harrel, but he can dunk it when he wants, Turman is similar.

I see Turman as a mix between Hall and Stokes. Hall had the potential just didn't have the right attitude. Turman isn't as skinny though and IMO will be better than Hall but not as good as Stokes. But a solid 4 year player.

Reactions: 1 person
They may average less points than UT, but you can't argue with the results. They are the #1 team in the county and beat the Vols three times this season.

LMAO!!!

Your original post suggested Florida runs and puts up a lot of points thus making them exciting, I was simply pointing out the irony in that post.

Like I also pointed out, Virginia plays slow defensive minded basketball, most here consider that style "boring"...:but winning isn't boring, that was my point.

Austin/ Thompson
Hubbs/ Moore
Richardson
Cofer/ Reese
Stokes

Maybe one or two of Davis, Cornish and Turman can crack the rotation. Other wise I think we'll role with 8 like this year.

Your original post suggested Florida runs and puts up a lot of points thus making them exciting, I was simply pointing out the irony in that post.

Like I also pointed out, Virginia plays slow defensive minded basketball, most here consider that style "boring"...:but winning isn't boring, that was my point.

I challenge you to find where I ever posted UF scores more points than UT. You won't find it, I never posted it! So stop with your BS.

I simply stated that UT needs a coach that has an exciting style of play, because their style is effective, and exciting.

Martin's teams are boring just like him. But, I watch anyway because I am a loyal fan of UT Basketball!

I challenge you to find where I ever posted UF scores more points than UT. You won't find it, I never posted it! So stop with your BS.

I simply stated that UT needs a coach that has an exciting style of play, because their style is effective, and exciting.

Martin's teams are boring just like him. But, I watch anyway because I am a loyal fan of UT Basketball!

So if Tony Bennett was the coach at Tennessee or Bo Ryan you'd still be complaining it wasn't exciting enough?

How about we just get rid of Martin and hire a coach that likes to press, run, and trap? A lot like what the #1 team in the country does.

by saying press run and trap.. you're alluding to a fast pace team... which would score points.. and florida is the #1 team... so his "BS" as you called it, did have some merit.

Thompson
Hubbs
Richardson
Cofer
Stokes

You guys are selling Thompson short. He is a very good player, just needs to work on his outside game.

by saying press run and trap.. you're alluding to a fast pace team... which would score points.. and florida is the #1 team... so his "BS" as you called it, did have some merit.

The only thing I was alluding to is that Martin's style is boring, UF's is not. Those are the facts, anything else is just plain fiction!

The only thing I was alluding to is that Martin's style is boring, UF's is not. Those are the facts, anything else is just plain fiction!

Thank you for using alluding and not eluding. That crap is annoying.

Winning is fun. Doesn't have anything to do with style IMO. That's what people think they like but what people really like is to win. Or at least that's my perception.

Fast and losing = sucks
Any style that wins = fun

I'm going to just go ahead and help you guys out with some of the players Martin and the Vols are going to sign, and yes, there will be some gnashing of teeth about the "star" level of some recruits in the future.

Martin runs a specific system of offense and defense. You can debate the merits of the system he runs, but as long as he is the head coach he is going to run mainly man to man defense, and mostly motion offense.

Generally speaking, Martin is going to look at defense first for a good number of recruits. This is going to upset a few people because defense doesn't get you the star rankings. Martin can't simply go out and sign the highest rated players and force them into his system, because that doesn't work.

There were 2 starters on this years team (Maymon & MacRae), that weren't Martin recruits and didn't "fit" his system, and Martin did an excellent job of adjusting in order to work those 2 into the system. I think it will be a while, for better or worse, before you see Martin put a ball stopper on the floor like MacRae. This isn't an insult to MacRae, it's his game, and when it is on, he is a devastating offensive player, but when it is off, he kills the offense in the half court, and then kills the defense on the other end. I also don't think you are going to see a reincarnation of the bash brothers anytime soon. Playing 2 non shooting players like Maymon and Stokes at the same time is difficult to facilitate in the motion offense. Martin went to his 3 out 2 in look some, and I will tell you now, that is a shift from his normal set, and was a good adjustment to utilize his best players. Expect to see more athletic 4's like Davis in the future.

How do I know recruiting highest ranked players available and then fitting them in doesn't work? As a lifelong Purdue fan, I've been watching the 4* train wreck in West Lafayette over the last 4 years. Painter decided that he was going to sign the best available player, regardless of fit, and figure out how to use them later. This has resulted in nothing but terrible defense, terrible offense, poor team chemistry, and a rash of transfers.

I wouldn't bash the incoming recruiting class until you actually see them on the floor. It's quite possible that they actually fit better and contribute sooner, than players ranked above them.

Reactions: 14 people
I like the class we have coming in a lot of athleticism in the group. Basketball skills for a couple of guys may not be exactly where you would like to be but this class will be a good one in a couple years.

VN Store

Back