Coach Fulmer Appreciation Thread

Which game was it that Sanders drove Tennessee down field and just missed hitting a receiver in the north end zone for the game winner? Maybe Mississippi State. If he had connected on that one pass his playing career might have taken a completely different course. Instead it was Jeff Francis for most of 1986-1988.

Didn't Randy start one game at Rutgers, or Boston College, or some road game up east.

And he was teeeeeeeeeeerrrible!!!

A performance that made Nate Peterman at the Swamp look like Johnny Unitas.

After that NC game Fulmer used his overiding powers to Veto Sanders alot! With Cutcliff he didn't and that is why there was such a discrepancy. Sanders was a UT guy, trained in the same play book and had major sucess every where he went after UT. Those dark times weren't his fault even though he took the brunt for it!

I believe a portion of that. But unlike Clawson, Sanders was allowed carte blanche to run his own offense. He was given enough rope to get into ruts and tunnel vision that eventually hung himself...and even some quality dangling time. After Tennessee he was at Kentucky and FSU. At Kentucky he regained his skills at teaching fundamental which had slipped drastically in Knoxville. That was the dichotomy between his and Cut's OC tenure. The "major success" you reference has been at FSU. I don't believe for one second that he's the playcaller or mastermind of that offense. He's a good recruiter and teacher for that program but that's the extent imo. Fulmer most likely regretted completely delegating the offense to a relatively inexperienced young mind and overcompensated by overly meddling in later years. I do blame the Ainge/Clausen QB yo-yo derby on Phil...and that was the beginning of the end for him, but the breakdown of fundamentals and discipline that Cut had to fix, rest at Sanders door imo...and some of that manifested itself in that meltdown against LSU.

Didn't Randy start one game at Rutgers, or Boston College, or some road game up east.

And he was teeeeeeeeeeerrrible!!!

A performance that made Nate Peterman at the Swamp look like Johnny Unitas.

Sterling Henton almost pulled out that Boston College travesty. Sanders was always a future coach...his play was less than mediocre.

I believe a portion of that. But unlike Clawson, Sanders was allowed carte blanche to run his own offense. He was given enough rope to get into ruts and tunnel vision that eventually hung himself...and even some quality dangling time. After Tennessee he was at Kentucky and FSU. At Kentucky he regained his skills at teaching fundamental which had slipped drastically in Knoxville. That was the dichotomy between his and Cut's OC tenure. The "major success" you reference has been at FSU. I don't believe for one second that he's the playcaller or mastermind of that offense. He's a good recruiter and teacher for that program but that's the extent imo. Fulmer most likely regretted completely delegating the offense to a relatively inexperienced young mind and overcompensated by overly meddling in later years. I do blame the Ainge/Clausen QB yo-yo derby on Phil...and that was the beginning of the end for him, but the breakdown of fundamentals and discipline that Cut had to fix, rest at Sanders door imo...and some of that manifested itself in that meltdown against LSU.

I agree with about all of that. Solid work.

I'm probably in the minority but I think Clawson is a very good offensive mind. He walked into the perfect storm here.

Reactions: 1 person
I agree with about all of that. Solid work.

I'm probably in the minority but I think Clawson is a very good offensive mind. He walked into the perfect storm here.

The interchangeable OL thing vexed me, personally. I'm sure the forward pass did that to many, once upon a time. :)

The interchangeable OL thing vexed me, personally. I'm sure the forward pass did that to many, once upon a time. :)

He was too complex for a HC that was on the clock. And maybe too complex period in some ways. It had to work quick and there's no way it could have.

Had he come in after Cut left in 98' I think he has a much more positive impact.

He was too complex for a HC that was on the clock. And maybe too complex period in some ways. It had to work quick and there's no way it could have.

Had he come in after Cut left in 98' I think he has a much more positive impact.

I think Fulmer actually thought he could fix it by taking it over and simplifying. When you make such a drastic X's and O's shift, you have to ride it out...completely wrecked that team's mindset imo.

I think Fulmer actually thought he could fix it by taking it over and simplifying. When you make such a drastic X's and O's shift, you have to ride it out...completely wrecked that team's mindset imo.

Could be. He made a poor hire if that was his intentions.

It was a trainwreck.

I don't think the downfall was on Randy. I just don't think Phil ever replaced Cut. His return and what happened during that span is plenty of evidence.

I remember in '05 when the heat was becoming unbearable for Sanders he finally let it slip that Fulmer was actually hamstringing him on play calling during games.

I remember in '05 when the heat was becoming unbearable for Sanders he finally let it slip that Fulmer was actually hamstringing him on play calling during games.

Never heard him QUOTED. Heard second hand inferences. Placed little stock in such. Even if they ever had it on video, it's a guy hurting after personal failure. If an OC starts meandering away from the central concept of the offense, successful HCs will rein them in. Jimmy Johnson,Bill Parcells,Bill Belichick and Nick Saban have all given OCs a good chewing out...many times publicly.

he is a better coach than we have now. he has forgot more than Jones knows. his record speaks for its self.

Not so sure. Fulmer did inherit a great team when he became HC. Not to diminish him in any way, but it's just a fact he didn't have to build the team from ground-up as Butch has had to do. It's comparing apples to oranges

Reactions: 1 person

I would never claim that he didn't say that, because I honestly don't remember. But that sounds convenient given the circumstances.

It's not like he has gone on to be revered as a great OC over the last decade.

I would never claim that he didn't say that, because I honestly don't remember. But that sounds convenient given the circumstances.

It's not like he has gone on to be revered as a great OC over the last decade.

Well, he beat us with a Kentucky team using a WR as a QB then went on to win another NC as an OC. I think he's done pretty well since.

1971 team lost 32-15 in Birmingham, his senior year

That's what I get for not double checking. I was thinking 1968-70. If I'd thought about it for a second I would have remembered that Phil was a class behind Bobby Scott (68-70... final game was the 1971 Sugar Bowl).

Well, he beat us with a Kentucky team using a WR as a QB then went on to win another NC as an OC. I think he's done pretty well since.

What was his epic win at Kentucky as OC? And drop the win against Dooley and a completely uninterested Bray. Will reissue my opinion that he's an OC in name only at Tallahassee. Good position coach and recruiter...done well in that regard.

VN Store

Back