Coach Fulmer Appreciation Thread

The decline in recruiting was in part due to the opposition. Coaches at Ga were hired with the imperative to keep Fulmer out of there state. Other states such as La as well. I also think that what really sunk Fulmer was the need for good coaching for the offensive coordination and skill positions. His two losing seasons had no business being losing seasons. Both occasions brought about by arguably the worst quarterbacking in school history. Ainge's meltdown year in 04 and Cromptons inexplicably bad play in 08. Both of those teams were very talented but some wouldn't recognize it.

"Appreciation" thread. Go away!

Reactions: 3 people
The decline in recruiting was in part due to the opposition. Coaches at Ga were hired with the imperative to keep Fulmer out of there state. Other states such as La as well. I also think that what really sunk Fulmer was the need for good coaching for the offensive coordination and skill positions. His two losing seasons had no business being losing seasons. Both occasions brought about by arguably the worst quarterbacking in school history. Ainge's meltdown year in 04 and Cromptons inexplicably bad play in 08. Both of those teams were very talented but some wouldn't recognize it.

Agree with most all this. There were a few other things that factored in. He set a high bar and relaxed in a lot of ways. No reason for anyone not being able to give credit to both.

I haven't met him, but friends have. All of those acquaintances hate the Vols (UGA fans, etc.) They said he was one of the most personable and likeable people they'd ever met.

Reactions: 3 people
Fulmer was the head coach when we won the National Title and for that I am appreciative of him. Always thought he was the best oline coach UT has had.

Reactions: 5 people
My ultimate appreciation thread with Fulmer was in early May of 2007. I was living in Charlotte, and am from middle TN, and UT grad. My younger brother, who was also a big fan, suddenly passed away at 39 years old. Still heart stricken, I went to the big orange caravan in Charlotte a few weeks after he passed to get Fulmer, Pearl and Summit to sign footballs/basketballs for my brothers three young kids. All of the tremendous coaches spent time with me, not just signing footballs, but genuinely concerned about me and my brothers family. Fulmer went out of his way, on two occasions during the function to talk to me about my loss, my family, AND UT football. It was very uplifting to me. I will forever be thankful for his, Pat and Bruce's genuine time they spent with me.

Reactions: 9 people
My ultimate appreciation thread with Fulmer was in early May of 2007. I was living in Charlotte, and am from middle TN, and UT grad. My younger brother, who was also a big fan, suddenly passed away at 39 years old. Still heart stricken, I went to the big orange caravan in Charlotte a few weeks after he passed to get Fulmer, Pearl and Summit to sign footballs/basketballs for my brothers three young kids. All of the tremendous coaches spent time with me, not just signing footballs, but genuinely concerned about me and my brothers family. Fulmer went out of his way, on two occasions during the function to talk to me about my loss, my family, AND UT football. It was very uplifting to me. I will forever be thankful for his, Pat and Bruce's genuine time they spent with me.

Glad to hear that.
Sorry for your loss. No matter the amount of time that has passed.

3 High Schools in Franklin county:

Franklin County where Coach Fulmer played .
my Alma Mater: Huntland High School where Coach Johnny Majors played / his daddy coached.
Sewanee: Don't know about players but University of the South is there and they were a terror to Tennessee way back when. They still own a winning record vs the Vols and the 1899 team has been voted best of all time...Wow!

Nope

my Alma Mater: Huntland High School where Coach Johnny Majors played / his daddy coached. FWIW, they were from Lynchburg (Moore County), our biggest rival.
Sewanee: Don't know about players but University of the South is there and they were a terror to Tennessee way back when. They still own a winning record vs the Vols and the 1899 team has been voted best of all time...Wow!

Edit: Sewanee always played us tough in Football, even when we were way better.
No doubt this guy is from Huntland(Hornets) if he knows Moore Co is their rival.. We def love Phil down in these parts of TN

Reactions: 2 people

my Alma Mater: Huntland High School where Coach Johnny Majors played / his daddy coached. FWIW, they were from Lynchburg (Moore County), our biggest rival.

Edit: Sewanee always played us tough in Football, even when we were way better.

Huntland, one question and one correction...

The question: you say Huntland High School is in Franklin County, but Johnny Majors and his family are from Lynchburg, in Moore County. So Johnny was allowed to play high school ball in a different county because his dad coached at Huntland? Is that how it worked?

And the correction: Sewanee's University of the South does not have a winning record against Tennessee. The Volunteers are 12-10 lifetime against Sewanee. They were awesome a century ago, no doubt, but we still have the edge on them in the record books, head-to-head.

Go Vols!

His record against Bama is also worth a mention. Met CPF at a youth BBall game (think he was watching his grandchild). Had a great conversation about UT football and the guy was so personable. Class act all the way is CPF.

99% of the time he is. And that's one thing that too many Vol fans tend to forget. He could have really caused a lot of problems but took the high road. The 1% is when he answered honestly a question about Hamilton and Cheek being gone.

Reactions: 1 person
99% of the time he is. And that's one thing that too many Vol fans tend to forget. He could have really caused a lot of problems but took the high road. The 1% is when he answered honestly a question about Hamilton and Cheek being gone.

Guess it's a good thing I wasn't asked. :censored:

Who here went to UT from 2001 - 2004 like I did? The atmosphere on campus was crazy during Fulmer's heyday

Huntland, one question and one correction...

The question: you say Huntland High School is in Franklin County, but Johnny Majors and his family are from Lynchburg, in Moore County. So Johnny was allowed to play high school ball in a different county because his dad coached at Huntland? Is that how it worked?

And the correction: Sewanee's University of the South does not have a winning record against Tennessee. The Volunteers are 12-10 lifetime against Sewanee. They were awesome a century ago, no doubt, but we still have the edge on them in the record books, head-to-head.

Go Vols!

Not 100% sure on this, but here it goes....Huntland is a small rural school in the southern part of Franklin County. In the old days anyway, it was kinda easy for kids to cross county lines to attend closer schools. I know a mid-30's age girl from a Lincoln County farm who played basketball for Huntland. You may have to pay a fee to do that.

Plus, I do think that a teacher/coach is allowed to take their kid(s) to their school.

And one dud of a SEC Championship Game.

After that NC game Fulmer used his overiding powers to Veto Sanders alot! With Cutcliff he didn't and that is why there was such a discrepancy. Sanders was a UT guy, trained in the same play book and had major sucess every where he went after UT. Those dark times weren't his fault even though he took the brunt for it!

After that NC game Fulmer used his overiding powers to Veto Sanders alot! With Cutcliff he didn't and that is why there was such a discrepancy. Sanders was a UT guy, trained in the same play book and had major sucess every where he went after UT. Those dark times weren't his fault even though he took the brunt for it!

I don't think the downfall was on Randy. I just don't think Phil ever replaced Cut. His return and what happened during that span is plenty of evidence.

Which game was it that Sanders drove Tennessee down field and just missed hitting a receiver in the north end zone for the game winner? Maybe Mississippi State. If he had connected on that one pass his playing career might have taken a completely different course. Instead it was Jeff Francis for most of 1986-1988.

VN Store

Back