Coach Fulmer Appreciation Thread

Phil stole the recruiting scene in The Blind Side. He made Saban, Holtz, and Tubberville look like frightened little girls. Check the film.

Reactions: 3 people
Please merge with the other 2 or 3 threads like this. Had hoped this would NEVER be resurrected....as if over 25k posts aren't enough appreciation.

Thread ignore engage.

Reactions: 1 person
Will always be a CPF fan and supporter.
Would love to have him in a position inside the university.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please merge with the other 2 or 3 threads like this. Had hoped this would NEVER be resurrected....as if over 25k posts aren't enough appreciation.

Thread ignore engage.

There's nothing like this thread - if you're a hater go back to the buyout thread.

Reactions: 8 people

Thread ignore engage.

Might as well. He's the last cat to ever win anything here.

I'd go drop negavol or something of the like in another thread. It will make you feel better.

Reactions: 2 people
I was a Fulmer fan back in the day! I just wish he would have stepped aside easier and sooner. The '92 season that he was in control of through and until the SECCG I was still a fan.

He did alot for UT football during that time!

I was a Fulmer fan back in the day! I just wish he would have stepped aside easier and sooner. The '92 season that he was in control of through and until the SECCG I was still a fan.

He did alot for UT football during that time!

15 yard penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct.

Reactions: 5 people
Coach Fulmer beat Alabama 7 years in a row. No other Tennessee coach beat Alabama more than 4 years in a row.

Has any other coach for any team(s) ever beaten Alabama 7 consecutive years?

No wonder the Bammer necks hate Phil so much.

Reactions: 8 people
Coach Fulmer beat Alabama 7 years in a row. No other Tennessee coach beat Alabama more than 4 years in a row.

He framed us!

Good times. Now we re trying to figure out if losing by 14 is a moral V.

I see the Fulmer Buyout thread is still going strong so I think it's appropriate to balance the scales a bit.

fulmer1971.jpg

Fulmer was born in Winchester, Tennessee where he attended Franklin County High School. Fulmer enrolled at the University of Tennessee as a student in 1968. He promptly joined the football team as an offensive guard. While playing for the Volunteers, Fulmer garnered All-Southeastern Conference honors at offensive guard. Fulmer helped Tennessee to a 30–5 record from 1969–1971

p1_fulmer2_si_original_crop_north.jpg

Fulmer was a longtime assistant at Tennessee before becoming Head Coach in 1992. While he was head coach
Tennessee won two Southeastern Conference championships, in 1997 and 1998, and a national championship in 1998. The Vols made three other SEC Championship game appearances in 2001, 2004, and 2007. Overall his record was 152–52

Phillip-Fulmer-at-a-Gatlinburg-football-camp.jpg

Fulmers Legacy: As a player or as Head Coach Fulmers record at UT is 182 - 57. He was elected to the College Football Coaches Hall of Fame in 2012 To put that into perspective, in most of our lifetimes the only other SEC coaches to be so honored had the last names Bryant, Spurrier, Dickey, Dye, and Dooley. That's rare company.

It is a shame that he was denied the chance to to complete the circle of service to his Alma Mater by being named AD. I still believe he was the best candidate.

Nevertheless, I think we owe Coach a debt of gratitude for his enduring service and commitment to this proud university.

Thanks Phil for Excellence!

Reactions: 5 people
Wow, have to admit, I clicked on this thread to see how long it would go before it went south, and still going strong after three pages. Impressive 5* effort. Stay Strong VN...props to Fulmer. Class act HOF Tennessean. He should always be appreciated for what he did for Tennessee!

Wow, have to admit, I clicked on this thread to see how long it would go before it went south, and still going strong after three pages. Impressive 5* effort. Stay Strong VN...props to Fulmer. Class act HOF Tennessean. He should always be appreciated for what he did for Tennessee!

It's a hate free zone. A safe space from trolls.

Reactions: 4 people

Yeah, but who else was beating Bama during that time!

Reactions: 1 person
Always have admired and appreciated Fulmer. I was there the night they won the NC. I doubt I'll see another in my lifetime. Thanks, Coach. And, it doesn't matter wtf was beating Alabama at that time!

3 High Schools in Franklin county:

Franklin County where Coach Fulmer played .
my Alma Mater: Huntland High School where Coach Johnny Majors played / his daddy coached. FWIW, they were from Lynchburg (Moore County), our biggest rival.
Sewanee: Don't know about players but University of the South is there and they were a terror to Tennessee way back when. They still own a winning record vs the Vols and the 1899 team has been voted best of all time...Wow!

Edit: Sewanee always played us tough in Football, even when we were way better.

Last edited:
3 High Schools in Franklin county:

Franklin County where Coach Fulmer played .
my Alma Mater: Huntland High School where Coach Johnny Majors played / his daddy coached. FWIW, they were from Lynchburg (Moore County), our biggest rival.
Sewanee: Don't know about players but University of the South is there and they were a terror to Tennessee way back when. They still own a winning record vs the Vols and the 1899 team has been voted best of all time...Wow!

Fulmer was also the catcher on the 1968 Franklin County TN State Baseball championship team if I'm not mistaken............

I can remember where I was the night that we beat Florida in 1998. I remember the Manning years. So many good times and days from my childhood. Smiling and/or clapping Phil is a staple of my youth TV days.

I was still active duty Air Force in Colorado Springs, working a part time job putting out real estate signs. I was listening to the game on the radio as I drove my truck. Finally had to stop at a bar and watch the ending!

Al Wilson and Jeff Hall... Big, clutch-worthy Stones!

Last edited:
Great guy, good coach, extremely loyal, friendly as anyone you'll ever meet.

Had the opportunity to talk with him for about 10 minutes yesterday. Seems extremely content these days

Reactions: 6 people
He had a hand in the program's decline but he also doesn't get enough credit for the good IMO.

The decline in recruiting was in part due to the opposition. Coaches at Ga were hired with the imperative to keep Fulmer out of there state. Other states such as La as well. I also think that what really sunk Fulmer was the need for good coaching for the offensive coordination and skill positions. His two losing seasons had no business being losing seasons. Both occasions brought about by arguably the worst quarterbacking in school history. Ainge's meltdown year in 04 and Cromptons inexplicably bad play in 08. Both of those teams were very talented but some wouldn't recognize it.

VN Store

Back