Coach Butch Jones Appreciation thread

See , I don't think this guy is right at all. He says there's no middle ground on Butch Jones.

EDIT: I do like his final paragraphs. He is just as at-fault of ignoring the middle ground as his readers, it seems, but his words do still bear repeating here in VolNation.
the title is a bit misleading, and my initial reaction was similar.

after reading, it appears he's really trying to support the notion that there is, or at least should be, a significant middle ground....

Most people think Butch Jones is a "good" or "average" coach. Few think he's "terrible" or "great"-- and the facts don't support either of those options. So most put him right in the middle. The question is, is "good" good enough for UT? That's where people are divided.

:good!:

C'mon, I have clearly mellowed. I didn't say that I don't speak up every now and then. But since I met you, I've (mostly) changed my ways!

I know dude, just bustin your nads, but I also know that things will change once season gets closer and in full swing. :)

I know dude, just bustin your nads, but I also know that things will change once season gets closer and in full swing. :)

Wylo will fire a coach during the first offensive series. :wink2:

Reactions: 4 people
Yes but at the same time why the hell was Hamilton making a hire at the point anyways. He was a dead man walking anyways. UT was better off to have an interim with the timing, hire a new AD then hire a coach.

I don't think he was quite a dead man walking yet. Hot seat, yes, but not a total lame duck.

I don't think he was quite a dead man walking yet. Hot seat, yes, but not a total lame duck.

Fulmer firing wasn't overwhelmingly popular (even to this day) and his replacement walked after 1 season. If he wasn't completely lame he was crawling at best.

Yeah. MH could have avoided a lot had his Fulmer replacement panned.

Lol.

In one thread I want to tell you to use less words because you confuse me.

Then I go to another thread and have to read your post twice because it's missing words.

The trolls and haters will stroke out if they aren't allowed to rip on Butch. It's the wrong thread to whine about Vandy, USCe, charts, and the Butchisms that trigger your rabid responses.

I think that Butch has done a tremendous job building up the staff. Brady Hoke is a fantastic addition. I think that without the devastating injuries and with another year teaching his scheme, Shoop can look more like the DC everybody was expecting to see a year ago.

It's going to help Butch now that he has an interested boss that should give him good feedback and direction.

The talent in the trenches is getting back to where it needs to be. I hope that Drew Richmond steps up and Shy and KMac can be healthy.

That you, Butch?

Reactions: 2 people
The trolls and haters will stroke out if they aren't allowed to rip on Butch. It's the wrong thread to whine about Vandy, USCe, charts, and the Butchisms that trigger your rabid responses.

I think that Butch has done a tremendous job building up the staff. Brady Hoke is a fantastic addition. I think that without the devastating injuries and with another year teaching his scheme, Shoop can look more like the DC everybody was expecting to see a year ago.

It's going to help Butch now that he has an interested boss that should give him good feedback and direction.

The talent in the trenches is getting back to where it needs to be. I hope that Drew Richmond steps up and Shy and KMac can be healthy.

Butch will do something to generate negative response from fans, just give him some more time. He has kept quite for a reason though, not usually the norm with him. Someone (Currie perhaps) made him shut up with his annoying cliches and antics.

Butch has had huge staff turnover since he got here, not sure how you are interrupting that he has done a "tremendouse job", maybe with turnover he has.

So you are inferring that Hart's dis-interest in Butch is the reason that Butch has underachieved so far?:crazy: He definitely needs some direction alright.. "Butch there's the door pal, don't let it hit you in your ass on your way out" (after 2017 7-5 season).

Wouldn't it be amazing if we had a 5 star linemen actually play like a 5 star! There is something definitely up for this to be such a trend, not getting the production out of the highly touted players.

Reactions: 1 person
List of things I give Jones great credit for:

- Improved talent.
- I think his D hires over the past two years have been outstanding and particularly hiring Shoop with a lame duck AD.
- Offense. He has doubled down on his faith in his system by hiring guys who do not appear to be at UT to change the O but to be mentored by Jones. But the O has produced statistically. UT has gone from 11th to 10th to 3rd to 2nd in scoring over Jones' tenure.... 23.8 ppg to 28.9 ppg to 35.2 ppg to 36.4 ppg. Jones is a good offensive coach.
- Academic performance is terrific
- Off the field discipline has improved tremendously and especially from the perspective of Fulmer's last few years.
- Recruiting has been very good.
- He broke the streak vs UF and has performed well against UGA.
- He's beaten good opponents in 3 bowl games
- He's a high character guy... doesn't embarrass the university with motorcycle rides with coeds, DUI's, or other stupid stuff.
- His ego doesn't seem to be out of control by CFB HC standards.
- He seems to love people and particularly those he works with.
- He had the character and courage in spite of caring for people to fire some friends who weren't the best people for the program.
- If he fails... it won't be because ANYONE outworked him.
- He's political... enough. That's important because like it or not donations to the program matter.
- He has stuck with his core plan and beliefs in the way things should be done. Whether it works or not, he is true to his core convictions and philosophies. He doesn't panic and flail around like some coaches who face set backs... or you could argue he's too stubborn to make necessary changes... we'll see which is true or the degree to which each is true.
- 7 on 7's. Yeah. We had a thread that beat this up and regardless of the reason, Jones should have allowed it from the start. But he DID change and it should pay major dividends for both the passing game and pass defense this fall.
- He's a nice guy. I'm not being facetious. It is easier to pull for someone who is a genuinely good and gracious person than a jackass.

Reactions: 8 people
List of things I give Jones great credit for:

- Improved talent.
- I think his D hires over the past two years have been outstanding and particularly hiring Shoop with a lame duck AD.
- Offense. He has doubled down on his faith in his system by hiring guys who do not appear to be at UT to change the O but to be mentored by Jones. But the O has produced statistically. UT has gone from 11th to 10th to 3rd to 2nd in scoring over Jones' tenure.... 23.8 ppg to 28.9 ppg to 35.2 ppg to 36.4 ppg. Jones is a good offensive coach.
- Academic performance is terrific
- Off the field discipline has improved tremendously and especially from the perspective of Fulmer's last few years.
- Recruiting has been very good.
- He broke the streak vs UF and has performed well against UGA.
- He's beaten good opponents in 3 bowl games
- He's a high character guy... doesn't embarrass the university with motorcycle rides with coeds, DUI's, or other stupid stuff.
- His ego doesn't seem to be out of control by CFB HC standards.
- He seems to love people and particularly those he works with.
- He had the character and courage in spite of caring for people to fire some friends who weren't the best people for the program.
- If he fails... it won't be because ANYONE outworked him.
- He's political... enough. That's important because like it or not donations to the program matter.
- He has stuck with his core plan and beliefs in the way things should be done. Whether it works or not, he is true to his core convictions and philosophies. He doesn't panic and flail around like some coaches who face set backs... or you could argue he's too stubborn to make necessary changes... we'll see which is true or the degree to which each is true.
- 7 on 7's. Yeah. We had a thread that beat this up and regardless of the reason, Jones should have allowed it from the start. But he DID change and it should pay major dividends for both the passing game and pass defense this fall.
- He's a nice guy. I'm not being facetious. It is easier to pull for someone who is a genuinely good and gracious person than a jackass.

200.gif

This must be a difficult concept for you. Here, I'll help you out:

ap·pre·ci·a·tion
əˌprēSHēˈāSH(ə)n/
noun
the recognition and enjoyment of the good qualities of someone or something.

synonyms: valuing, treasuring, admiration, respect, regard, esteem, high opinion

Butch will do something to generate negative response from fans, just give him some more time. He has kept quite for a reason though, not usually the norm with him. Someone (Currie perhaps) made him shut up with his annoying cliches and antics.

Butch has had huge staff turnover since he got here, not sure how you are interrupting that he has done a "tremendouse job", maybe with turnover he has.

So you are inferring that Hart's dis-interest in Butch is the reason that Butch has underachieved so far?:crazy: He definitely needs some direction alright.. "Butch there's the door pal, don't let it hit you in your ass on your way out" (after 2017 7-5 season).

Wouldn't it be amazing if we had a 5 star linemen actually play like a 5 star! There is something definitely up for this to be such a trend, not getting the production out of the highly touted players.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back