Coach Barnes time on rocky top

joystick_zpsqmisnjie.jpg

Reactions: 1 person
If this bunch were Oklahoma fans, they would be complaining that Lon Kruger is too old and not a young and energetic coach.

BTW, his first year record at OU was 15–16, 5–13 in conference.

Reactions: 4 people
...it's his first year, guys. I get it, 2 horrible 2nd half collapses, but we've got a mediocre roster with no real talent on the post. Coach Barnes is a hall of famer, just give it time.

PLEASE don't do this again, guys. We do this with every coach with every sport. Come on now.

Ah, the voice of reason...sure to be rejected by many of the VN coaching pundits. :hi:

Reactions: 2 people
Alright guys serious question here and was wanting some thoughts on this? How long do you think Coach Barnes will be here before we are looking for a new coach?

Like I have said before Barnes is not use to having to actually coach guys, at Texas he had the talent to let the, go out and play and not be a "joystick" coach. In order to be a great coach you have to be a good in game coach which he is not. If he was he would still be at Texas.

He is a good coach but not great. I believe he is a good man and I respect him and his success. I honestly do not see him being here to long, we will either run him off or run him into retirement.

I'd say no longer than 4 years what do you guys think?
Sorry he will be here as long as He wants to.

any one who thinks this is Rick Barnes fault needs to think again. three coaches in three years. I am 56 years old and this is the least talented team that I can remember. Not Barnes fault!!! I blame Hart for hiring a man in deep trouble with the ncaa! We will get better next year. Will win 15 to 19 games. year 3 will content for an ncaa birth. I hope!!!!

Reactions: 8 people
1. After the Tyndall debacle Barnes was the probably the best option Tenn was going to get.
2. Looking at this team there isn't much talent or experience there. Fortunately Punter made the huge turn around in his game. But there isn't another go to guy on this team.
3. No rim protector or consistent rebounder. Since Stokes left this has been a void
4.Expecting this team to make the NCAA tourney or the NIT is foolish thinking.
5. Barnes may be facing his biggest challenge as a coach because he is going to have to recruit better than he ever has.

Last edited:
any one who thinks this is Rick Barnes fault needs to think again. three coaches in three years. I am 56 years old and this is the least talented team that I can remember. Not Barnes fault!!! I blame Hart for hiring a man in deep trouble with the ncaa! We will get better next year. Will win 15 to 19 games. year 3 will content for an ncaa birth. I hope!!!!

Tennessee lost the last two games because they missed wide open jumps shots in the second half of both games.

3 years? I keep hearing this. If so, that is terrible. Barnes was supposed to be a stabilizing hire yet he neither has the energy to revive the program nor time left on his coaching clock to do so. If UT is left to hire another coach in two years that is not good for stability.

Sure, UT hired a 'Name' but it's profited nothing in recruiting as Barnes connections for 30 years of coaching seem to be a worthless commodity, as he can't even garner a visit from top prospects.

Fulmer was a great coach, but by the time he left his career was trending down. Barnes seems at a simular place.

Reactions: 3 people
How many dumb arse threads from stupid people an there be. CRB has more coaching ability in his pinky toe. Gotta give people time to build, has to restock the roster.

Reactions: 3 people
3 is what I'm hoping for too, we need a more energetic and firery coach on the sideline. Need someone who gets the crowd envolved and gives them what they want! Lol

We need coaches who will not be caught at cheating , teach the game of basketball, establish a base on which to build better teams, build character responsibility, and recruit players who have the ability to win in the SEC.

The team that Barnes inherited was as bad if not as void of talent as the team Coach Jones inherited from Dooley. We are fortunate to have Coach Barnes as our head coach and he will build the base from a competitive basketball team in the SEC. We will see how the 2017 recruiting develops and go from there.

Reactions: 4 people
Alright guys serious question here and was wanting some thoughts on this? How long do you think Coach Barnes will be here before we are looking for a new coach?

Like I have said before Barnes is not use to having to actually coach guys, at Texas he had the talent to let the, go out and play and not be a "joystick" coach. In order to be a great coach you have to be a good in game coach which he is not. If he was he would still be at Texas.

He is a good coach but not great. I believe he is a good man and I respect him and his success. I honestly do not see him being here to long, we will either run him off or run him into retirement.

I'd say no longer than 4 years what do you guys think?

We need a few good years of stability and a good roster. I want 4-6 years and around year 3 have a coach in waiting type....

Barnes inherited a huge mess and we need 4 good years of stability and recruiting to get out of it. I think this year was a bust no matter what. I believe next year will be better with the recruits we have coming. Give him 1-2 more years with his guys to provide stability and regular NCAA appearances.

After that, we need a clear next guy....

I could rehash what everyone else has said but the fact is the roster on this team has been turned over multiple times. If you want to blame anyone blame Hart for fumbling the Tyndall hiring (the guy was never properly vetted IMO no matter what anyone says). As far as Barnes is concerned he's doing what he can---I'm still of the opinion that we hired a great coach but you can't judge him on this year---he can't work miracles with the roster as is----

I'm a Duke Basketball fan so I don't have a say about how long Barnes is at TN, but I'll say this. If I were TN fans, I'd give Barnes time. He's a very good coach and he's trying to build a program at Tn which IMO isn't very tradition rich at Basketball. The Punter kid is really good, but not much around him. Plus just from watching the few TN games I have, It appears TN has no true Center or real post presence which is a BIG problem. Give Barnes time to recruit and watch that team get better and better and may just challenge KY in a Yr or 2.

3 years? I keep hearing this. If so, that is terrible. Barnes was supposed to be a stabilizing hire yet he neither has the energy to revive the program nor time left on his coaching clock to do so. If UT is left to hire another coach in two years that is not good for stability.

Sure, UT hired a 'Name' but it's profited nothing in recruiting as Barnes connections for 30 years of coaching seem to be a worthless commodity, as he can't even garner a visit from top prospects.

Fulmer was a great coach, but by the time he left his career was trending down. Barnes seems at a simular place.

I wish I could give this more than 1 like. Great post.

...it's his first year, guys. I get it, 2 horrible 2nd half collapses, but we've got a mediocre roster with no real talent on the post. Coach Barnes is a hall of famer, just give it time.

PLEASE don't do this again, guys. We do this with every coach with every sport. Come on now.

Sorry disagree!

This team has relinquished big first half leads to many opponents- TCU, Vandy, Oklahoma, Texas AM, that's just off the top of my old Vol head. It's not good. When you have a double digit lead at the half, you should put most of them away. We are losing most. No quality big men, poor depth, no true point guard.....ok, I get it. But, I live up here in Dayton, OH and I witness Archie Miller get way more out of way less. COACHING MATTERS. CRB is not getting it done.

For those doubting Barnes, let's go over what he currently has to work with:
1. No true point guard
2. No big man that can score on the low block
3. Little quality depth
4. Very little basketball IQ, something that can't be taught

Its amazing that so many of you expect him to lead the worst Vol hoops roster since the Wade Houston days to a successful season. Barnes inherited an AWFUL situation. Give him a fair chance to fix it.

I don't think that was the (written) meaning of the OP. Although I'm sure a fringe of the fanbase thinks this year is bad coaching. The vast majority who are paying attention knew that great success would have been a .500 year with this roster.

It is a good Q by the OP, IMO. The idea @ CRB not knowing how to coach is ... uhhh ... well I'll just say another story. We have a pretty short fuse around here for coaches. So gauging CRBs outer limit is thread worthy, at least.

I say he'll get 4 classes to test drive before being shown the door, if he's not competing in the NCAAT. CRB has earned his reputation as a coach, so he'll get a longer leash.

Sorry disagree!

This team has relinquished big first half leads to many opponents- TCU, Vandy, Oklahoma, Texas AM, that's just off the top of my old Vol head. It's not good. When you have a double digit lead at the half, you should put most of them away. We are losing most. No quality big men, poor depth, no true point guard.....ok, I get it. But, I live up here in Dayton, OH and I witness Archie Miller get way more out of way less. COACHING MATTERS. CRB is not getting it done.

Butch Jones blew 4 second half leads this past season, does he deserve to be fired too? He's got a lot better players and 2 more recruiting cycles than ole Rick does, too.

Think about what you're asking for... If we fire Rick we get rid of a hall of famer, who better do you suggest we hire?

That would also mean that you think the best possible scenario for this team is for us to have 4 coaches in 4 years.

GTFO, pal. Fandom is about sticking by your team during hard years. Not about wanting to fire the coach everytime we have one.

VN Store

Back