Chris Low and Paul Finebaum report charlie strong front-runner for UT job

I for one am estatic. I think this is a great hire. I think he will have a Counzo Martin effect for us in recruiting and getting players to buy in on what he is selling. He has been around the SEC for a long time and coached on multiple championship teams under different staffs. I think it is awesome if it is true. I was big on him early on...once he gets some of the upper echelon of defensive talent here...teams will fear the Big Orange again.

134094808.0_standard_352.0.jpg

Man gets fired up....and if our staffs have to throw down with another staff....they don't want none of that.....fo sho!

Reactions: 10 people
let me tell you the hidden bright spot in this hire, which is probably more valuable at tennessee than other places.

charlie strong can spot 3 star guys who shouldn't be 3 star guys. 3 star guys who can contribute and play.

don't misunderstand, he won't be bringing in all "diamond in the rough" types, but the ones he does bring in like that can usually play.

Reactions: 4 people
Strong is a very good defense coach , but geesh its L-ville, no better where Dooley came from with our schedule in the SEC we won't survive

I'm not even that big a fan of Strong, but the anti-Strong arguments have mainly been full on retarded.

I'm not sure I agree with you on that. I think people are disapointed with Strong as the hire because we should have done better. Also, if you were going to hire Strong, why would it take 2+ weeks? To me it took that long because Hart didn't get who he really wanted.

I agree, im a little disappointed if these reports wind up being true (dont see why they wouldnt be), if charlie strong is the BEST hire. I would have been a little happier w/ a Gundy hire.

Why did we not just stay with Dooley then. He basically Dooley with a better record. Uptempo offense and no defense.

Charlie Strong is a great recruiter guys, and we can't really make any judgements until the bowl game against Florida. Just calm down

IF it is true that Strong is hired, and I seriously hope it is, I doubt he stays at Louisville to coach the bowl game. I don't know the timeline of the dead period for recruiting, but it seems that we need him here ASAP, officially, to at least get his name out to recruits.

Anyone look at Louisville's Rival page? Strong does not have a single 4 star committed. Im not sure how this is a powerhouse hire.

Star ranking doesn't mean Sh&6t...its hard to project a 18 year old kid coming out of high school.

Its about evaluating talent and filling positions with skill sets that fit with your scheme, not rankings IMO.

The guy has won with the talent he has. Took Bridgewater from "The U", so he is doing something right.

Put that L'ville offense up against some of Four star DB's and they torch our A$$. LMAO.

Reactions: 1 person
So much for a proven HC. A guy who is 24-14 over 3 seasons at Louisville isn't a homerun hire..

The guy siginificantly improved L'ville in both wins and talent. He won his conference in both of these last two seasons. Now in his third season... he has his team headed to a BCS bowl.

In L'ville, he did his "on the job" training. He learned how to be the head coach where there is at least some relief from the pressure.

You can never really be sure that a coach is ready for the SEC and the pressure. He's as close as any of the others that have been mentioned.

Gruden was the only "homerun" on UT's radar... or any of the other programs looking for a coach. And that... only because his "rock star" status would have helped recruiting in the short run. He still would have needed to win games to avoid becoming Mike Sherman rather than Pete Carroll.

FWIW, Sherman had a better win % in the NFL than Carroll or Gruden.

FWIW part deux, Strong has a 63% win ratio. Saban including his one great year had was 59% leaving MSU. Miles was 57% leaving OSU. Richt had never been a HC. Mullen had never been a HC. Sumlin was 67% before getting to TAM with his '10 being 5-7.

The long and the short of it is that Strong's resume is just as good as many coaches that have become "elite". Since there are no "elite" coaches available... he deserves us giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Had he been available, Hugh Freeze might have been the best coach for UT.

Reactions: 3 people
my entire time on this site I have battled people like LG over race baiting but for the first time in my life I'm not proud to be a TN fan because I do believe there are some serious racial issues here. this man is going to be great and has done well everywhere and he's getting laid out here. its disgusting.

Very disheartening how everyone jumped on board with Dooley when he was hired even though he was not proven! Here is a man, not a just a black man by what most of american may see but a MAN who wants to become part of the Vol family and has the proven records and resume to support the opportunity of the job! He can go into some homes that we may need to get recruits unlike Dooley or Kiffen thought they were too good to go into. Very sad that color has to come into about everything imaginable these days some people may need to just close their eyes and just imagine themselves on the other end! Try on those shoes in this world before you bash, he has to be better than anyone on his interviews for jobs, pressure to perform, pressure to recruit and be successful why, because people are quick to throw race up and if he is proven what can they say well a new job and new fan base and yet color again until he proves himself. Welcome Mr. Strong he will succeed!!

Reactions: 2 people

In a weak conference... Big East..

2012: Got blown out by Syracuse, beat by UConn at home, and let a HUGE lead get taken down by UNC and almost lost that... 10-2.

2011: Lost to FIU and Marshall. Proceeded to drop the next two games to UNC and Cinci, Lost to Pitt, then in their bowl game vs. NC State. 7-6.

2010: Lost to Kentucky, OR State, Cinci, Pitt, USF and WV. 7-6.

24-14 as a head coach in the Big East.

71st Recruiting class right now, 42nd last year, 29th in 2011.

Not sure why everyone wants this guy. Average record as a HC and despite being the awesome recruiter he was at UF, he definitely hasn't transitioned that to UofL. Just my opinion.

I for one am estatic. I think this is a great hire. I think he will have a Counzo Martin effect for us in recruiting and getting players to buy in on what he is selling. He has been around the SEC for a long time and coached on multiple championship teams under different staffs. I think it is awesome if it is true. I was big on him early on...once he gets some of the upper echelon of defensive talent here...teams will fear the Big Orange again.

134094808.0_standard_352.0.jpg

Man gets fired up....and if our staffs have to throw down with another staff....they don't want none of that.....fo sho!

A "cuonzo martin" like effect? Cuonzo has signed one highly sought after recruit that actually had other options besides UT. Other than that he's signed nothing but role players and projects.

I know their race is the same, but it's an insult to both of them to compare them just because of that. Think these things through, please.

Reactions: 2 people
its a bad hire if so, no freaking better than Dooley, if this is the best we can get bull crap!!!!! give Fulmer back his job. Fulmer was 152-52 as a coach.
what are we going to have the wishbone offense give me a break......it just gets worser
GOOD JOB HART, THIS VOL FAN WILL NOT BUY TICKETS TO COME WATCH ANOTHER LOOSER

You didn't buy tickets anyway. Your just another whiny ***** that didn't get what he wanted. Grow up

its a bad hire if so, no freaking better than Dooley, if this is the best we can get bull crap!!!!! give Fulmer back his job. Fulmer was 152-52 as a coach.
what are we going to have the wishbone offense give me a break......it just gets worser
GOOD JOB HART, THIS VOL FAN WILL NOT BUY TICKETS TO COME WATCH ANOTHER LOOSER

This never gets old.

Reactions: 6 people
Anyone look at Louisville's Rival page? Strong does not have a single 4 star committed. Im not sure how this is a powerhouse hire.

Heard MANY recruits loved Strong but didn't want to play at Louisville. Can you blame them? Have you ever been there? The stadium almost sells out when the 2 biggest high school teams play there each year. Plus, just being an SEC school will carry more weight on the recruiting trail.

But think of it the other way, if he's not getting the top recruits, and they still went 10-2, he's doing more with less.

Love the hire if it's true.

Is Charlie Strong the best that Hart can get? C'mon Man... He coaches at Louisville or Western Kentucky... someplace like that. Sad day if that's the best Hart can do. Hart start packing your bags. :salute:

You don't know enough to have a valid opinion. Sorry.

VN Store

Back