Candace Parker left off team USA for Rio olympics

This is very disappointing and i just can't fathom this decision. If any position needs youth it's the guard position.

Thank you!

I called and left a message for Carol Callan. I stated that I am a women bball fan and wanted to know why Candace Parker was left off the 2016 Olympic squad. CLICK!

She's probably busy smoking some wacky-weed in Colorado! One thing's certain,someone making that decision about Candace is smoking something!

So much for the war between Geno and LV nation ending.....Geno just stepped it up with this direct insult.

Reactions: 1 person
Last thing I will say about it: Someone should to take ownership of this decision and explain it. In the absence of that, it's not unreasonable to think that personal feelings and politics played a role here.

That is the stance that I would expect a UConn fan to take but it just doesn't hold water. The head coach has input here. He would not allow such a snub of Maya Moore to happen. He wants to load down the team with UConn players and keep Tennessee and Notre Dame players off the team. Blaming Geno makes perfect sense. It's consistent with his past behavior to be this petty and vindictive. If you want to be among Geno apologists, I'm sure you will find at least a few on the Boneyard.
You don't know me very well, LMAO, but the fact that you call me a name lets me know that you just don't like anyones opinion unless its in line with you. The situation is just so bizarre that I think there is more involved. CP has played with him as the coach, so what happened from then until now, thats what I would be asking.

I normally roll my eyes when the fans here start talking about conspiracy theories and perceived slights but in this case the outrage is absolutely warranted. No rational explanation or excuse for this, and Geno and USA basketball deserve all the blowback coming their way....

To deprive her from representing her country because of whatever the hell got up his ass is pitiful...And no UConn fan needs to come on here and defend his BS.

I read your site and now you guys are trying to rationalize why he is such an ahole.

Reactions: 7 people
I am trying to figure out who they selected on the team because she should have been one of the top 3 selections imo. I would say Taurasi, Griner, and then Parker in that order. You can't keep McCoughtry, Charles, Elena Delle Don, Stewart, or Fowles (all of the forwards/post who will possibly be on the team) ahead of her

I am trying to figure out who they selected on the team because she should have been one of the top 3 selections imo. I would say Taurasi, Griner, and then Parker in that order. You can't keep McCoughtry, Charles, Elena Delle Don, Stewart, or Fowles (all of the forwards/post who will possibly be on the team) ahead of her

Delle Donne is a scoring machine, and Sylvia is a big, athletic body that can rebound, play solid defense, and do a little bit of scoring when she's in for Griner. I will also assume that they know Stewart is not one of the best 12 players in the US, but are including her as has been their MO of including rookies.

But Charles? What does she bring that Candace doesn't do better? Candace can score from more positions, rebounds just as well, can handle the ball and facilitate the offense, and can defend the interior (as evidenced by how often she has shut down Tina in H2H competition in the WNBA). Maybe Tina is a better overall athlete, but the skillsets for both at the PF spot is decidedly one-sided in favor of Candace.

The team should have been:

PG - Taurasi, Whalen, Bird
SG - Moore, Augustus
SF - EDD, McCoughtrey,
PF - CP3, Catch, Stewart
C - Griner, Fowles

USA Basketball
5465 Mark Dabling Boulevard
Colorado Springs, CO 80918-3842
Telephone: 719-590-4800
Fax: 719-590-4811

Jim Tooley CEO
Carol Callan Director, women's team.

Write them. Give them a piece of your mind. Let's flood them with letters of disgust.
Is there an email address? Never mind I posted before reading further

Last edited:
You don't know me very well, LMAO, but the fact that you call me a name lets me know that you just don't like anyones opinion unless its in line with you. The situation is just so bizarre that I think there is more involved. CP has played with him as the coach, so what happened from then until now, thats what I would be asking.
He didn't like her then. When asked about her coming in and saving the day in the championship game he off handedly said she should play like that all the time. I figured there was something there then.

I'm confused again. What name exactly did he call you?:hi:

Delle Donne is a scoring machine, and Sylvia is a big, athletic body that can rebound, play solid defense, and do a little bit of scoring when she's in for Griner. I will also assume that they know Stewart is not one of the best 12 players in the US, but are including her as has been their MO of including rookies.

But Charles? What does she bring that Candace doesn't do better? Candace can score from more positions, rebounds just as well, can handle the ball and facilitate the offense, and can defend the interior (as evidenced by how often she has shut down Tina in H2H competition in the WNBA). Maybe Tina is a better overall athlete, but the skillsets for both at the PF spot is decidedly one-sided in favor of Candace.

The team should have been:

PG - Taurasi, Whalen, Bird
SG - Moore, Augustus
SF - EDD, McCoughtrey,
PF - CP3, Catch, Stewart
C - Griner, Fowles

Charles plays the 5, something that Parker has refused to do for USAB. In fact she has never liked playing in the mosh pit down low. I remember that being an issue in 2012. With Fowles and Griner injured, Geno asked her to play the 5 and she refused. Then, when he started Catchings at the 4 a lot of LV fans were irate.

From what I have read, 3 of the five selection committee members didn't vote for her. Each of the 5 picked a 12 man roster and 3 left her off. Why? It obviously had nothing to do with her skill. Some seem to assume that Geno, in a fit of vindictiveness over something she did (dunking against his team has been suggested) ordered the committee to keep her off the team. I have a hard time accepting that. But then I have my bias, like many on this board.

I have noticed that all 12 team members are signed with Nike and that Parker is signed by Adidas. I'd sooner believe that $$$ had a lot to do with it. The Olympics is all about money despite the jingoistic hype it is given.

Let's see what the committee says tomorrow.

He didn't like her then. When asked about her coming in and saving the day in the championship game he off handedly said she should play like that all the time. I figured there was something there then.

That's exactly how he talks about his players at UConn. Geno doesn't blow smoke up his players' butts. He said that sort of thing about Stewart for 4 years. He demands everything you have every day, not just when the bright lights come on.

Charles plays the 5, something that Parker has refused to do for USAB. In fact she has never liked playing in the mosh pit down low. I remember that being an issue in 2012. With Fowles and Griner injured, Geno asked her to play the 5 and she refused. Then, when he started Catchings at the 4 a lot of LV fans were irate.

From what I have read, 3 of the five selection committee members didn't vote for her. Each of the 5 picked a 12 man roster and 3 left her off. Why? It obviously had nothing to do with her skill. Some seem to assume that Geno, in a fit of vindictiveness over something she did (dunking against his team has been suggested) ordered the committee to keep her off the team. I have a hard time accepting that. But then I have my bias, like many on this board.

I have noticed that all 12 team members are signed with Nike and that Parker is signed by Adidas. I'd sooner believe that $$$ had a lot to do with it. The Olympics is all about money despite the jingoistic hype it is given.

Let's see what the committee says tomorrow.

Let me guess where you "read" this... The Boneyard? Your whole post looks too much like UConn spin but just like the UConn fan who tried to hearken back to '84 and tell us that no Lady Vols were on the team and that a committee was in charge of that selection process, you really are just talking out of your butt...but nice try anyway. Nobody here is going to believe that a UConn player the caliber of Candace Parker (a 2 time WNBA MVP near her prime) would have been snubbed like this with Geno as the coach. I'm sure you would rather believe that it's about $ then face the fact that your coach is a self serving a-hole.

Reactions: 4 people
Let me guess where you "read" this... The Boneyard? Your whole post looks too much like UConn spin but just like the UConn fan who tried to hearken back to '84 and tell us that no Lady Vols were on the team and that a committee was in charge of that selection process, you really are just talking out of your butt...but nice try anyway. Nobody here is going to believe that a UConn player the caliber of Candace Parker (a 2 time WNBA MVP near her prime) would have been snubbed like this with Geno as the coach. I'm sure you would rather believe that it's about $ then face the fact that your coach is a self serving a-hole.

You are right. No one on this board would believe it. I've read this board long enough to know that many posters here are ready to believe anything bad about anyone associated with UConn without question. And I got my information on rebkel from a west coast poster.

Maybe if Parker made her talent available to USAB in 2014 & 2016 at the Worlds, and not just show up for the Olympics, she would have made this team.

I somehow think that more of the committee's reasoning in their selections will be known tomorrow. And I'm sure that no matter what they say, many on this board will not be satisfied. They made up their minds about Geno long ago. I remember 4 years ago that Geno was castigated and vilified for not starting Parker and limiting her play. I also remember that when she went back to LA after the games she declared herself injured and sat out the rest of the season. What I don't remember is even one LV fan posting that maybe they were wrong and that maybe her limited play had something to do with her injury. No, of course not. It might mean admitting that their image of Geno as a spiteful and vindictive ass was wrong and that would spoil all the fun they have spewing venom on him.

Reactions: 4 people
Geno is a first class ASS, for anyone to believe he isn't behind this in some way doesn't know how very self centered he is and how Anti Tennessee also.
Time for letters and phone calls to the USA training center in Colorado . The person n number is posted in most articles about this

Well actually there's an Olympic committee who selects who makes it and who doesn't. Just sayin before the thread becomes consumed with Geno bashing. But it is weird that she's been at the forefront of promoting the National team for Rio and doesn't make it. I wouldn't go no where near Rio.

Geno made his wishes know as to who he wanted on the team. Stewart with no pro experience over a Parker, please... Geno is an ASS N his fingerprints are all over this

You are right. No one on this board would believe it. I've read this board long enough to know that many posters here are ready to believe anything bad about anyone associated with UConn without question. And I got my information on rebkel from a west coast poster.

Maybe if Parker made her talent available to USAB in 2014 & 2016 at the Worlds, and not just show up for the Olympics, she would have made this team.

I somehow think that more of the committee's reasoning in their selections will be known tomorrow. And I'm sure that no matter what they say, many on this board will not be satisfied. They made up their minds about Geno long ago. I remember 4 years ago that Geno was castigated and vilified for not starting Parker and limiting her play. I also remember that when she went back to LA after the games she declared herself injured and sat out the rest of the season. What I don't remember is even one LV fan posting that maybe they were wrong and that maybe her limited play had something to do with her injury. No, of course not. It might mean admitting that their image of Geno as a spiteful and vindictive ass was wrong and that would spoil all the fun they have spewing venom on him.

+++

Can you say "hero worship".... All that's missing is chants.

All three would be on my team. Each one can play multiple positions so the roster spot thing is moot... But for my way of thinking, if I had to take two, it would have to be DD and CP3 because of their proven experience in a professional level... Brianna has yet to taste the scenario where everyone on the floor being in her level... I am looking forward to seeing her match directly with both of them. But to take her over either of them is obviously bias.

They had on of the most epic battles of last season in their head-to-head ... CP3 had 17Pts-6RB-6ast and DD had 33pts, 14 RBs....DD had the performance,but Parker filled more stat lines.

VN Store

Back