Candace Parker left off team USA for Rio olympics

It's not Stewart vs. Parker. Stewart would have been in ahead of Angel and Siemone. Clearly Parker should have been on the team at the expense of Angel or Siemone, and as much as I hate Geno, it's the committee that needs to explain what the F* they are thinking about. It's just wrong.

It's naive to think he had no influence over this.

Reactions: 1 person
Well, this is totally understandable. When picking 12 players to compete for an Olympic gold, who would want a 6-4 player who has an unstoppable post up game; the ball handling and passing skills of an elite PG; is a beast on the boards; and who can shoot the three and dunk; and is one of the best defenders in the women's game (whether on the perimeter or in the post). Plus she is drop dead gorgeous, has the super mom thing going and brings major media attention to the team? No, Breanna Stewart is clearly the better option because....well, uh, strategy stuff and all.... Yours truly, Geno Auriemma

Reactions: 5 people
For health/medical reason is the ONLY thing that I will accept for Candace Parker not to be chosen for the 2016 Olympics!!!!!!!!!!!

I am so friggin' UPSET about this I am ready to explode!!!!! I was anticipating Candace and Tamika playing this summer and now CP ain't even on the team?????
F U GENO!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: 3 people
Leaving Parker home is just wrong...You don't leave a champion like Parker out of the combat...Any fan of WBB knows this...Geno is behind this and UConn fan knows this.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
i never heard complaints on team selection when 'you know who' coached them....

That is b-****.

But I'm sure Geno will find a way to put Tina Charles on the team.:furious3:

1. Tina Charles
2. Diana Taurasi
3. Maya Moore
4. Sue Bird
5. Breanna Steward

That's my guess of UConn players making the squad.

Candace Parker being left off is just wrong in more ways than one.

1. Tina Charles
2. Diana Taurasi
3. Maya Moore
4. Sue Bird
5. Breanna Steward

That's my guess of UConn players making the squad.

Candace Parker being left off is just wrong in more ways than one.

Maya Moore and Diana Taurasi are the only ones on that list who should definitely be on the team. Bird is no longer the best PG in the league. I have no doubt that Stewart will be a great WNBA player, but she hasn't proven it yet, and her ceiling is basically where Candace Parker is now. Tina is overrated, but I'm sure she will be on the team.

It's a joke to leave Candace off. That's like leaving LeBron off the men's team.

Reactions: 2 people
From Candace's facebook this morning:

"I was surprsised & dissapointed to be left off the 2016 USA Olympic Team. But I wash all the members of the team GOODLUCK in Rio. #Rio

Thanks for the support I took forward to the upcoming WNBA season. #Sparks"

I'm dumbfounded at this point. No words as to why you don't want one of the best players in world to play on your team????

There is a very long thread on the UConn board and the overwhelming response from UConn fans is disbelief. Most posters in the thread consider Parker one of the top players in the country and cannot fathom why she was left off the team.

Reactions: 3 people
I will watch the USA girls and want them to kick some booty. Yes I am totally pissed at Genno and the selection committee, but no matter what scum bag is the head coach of the team I will show my Red, White, & Blue spirit. Go USA and bring back the gold.

There is a very long thread on the UConn board and the overwhelming response from UConn fans is disbelief. Most posters in the thread consider Parker one of the top players in the country and cannot fathom why she was left off the team.

LOL! Give me a break. It's obvious why. Plain and simple: it's much easier to make the Olympic team right now if you went to UConn and much harder to make the team if you went to a rival of UConn. Is it just bitter Tenn fans who feel this way? No, it's not. Read what Tina Thompson tweeted about this.

It confirms what Geno's critics have said about him. That is just a petty, vindictive and self centered little man.

...and it's a joke to even suggest that he didn't have input here and was the driving force behind it. I will never cheer against a USA team but this is one team that I will not be cheering for. It's no different than cheering for UConn at this point and quite honestly, the biggest a-hole in all of sports.

UConn fan, you know this stinks. You guys come here and post and most of us are civil to you guys, (not all) but this is pure wrong favoritism by Geno.

Parker is a warrior on the court and is not a vocal fan of Geno. That is the bottom line.

VN Store

Back