Caitlin Clark going pro Will WNBA get a media contract increase from 60 million to 80 - 100 million out of ESPN

I agree, so much so that I think the argument for her staying in college and collecting boffo endorsements carries a lot of weight. The college brands are just so much stronger, and the supporter investment so much stronger and more dedicated. That she's going early makes me wonder if there aren't people helping her make this decision -ie, there's some sort of larger plan in place, that hsi move helps to put in motion. Who knows though.

The struggling scenario will be the real test for the WNBA. The NBA, when faced with the revolutionary impact Michael Jordan had on the sport, appeared to give him "superstar" treatment at times. One wonders if the WNBA will do the same.
Let's put it this way...do you remember when Kelsey Plum broke the scoring record? Hardly anyone paid attention. Partially due to the fact that Washington wasn't a contender that year vs. Caitlin coming off a NCAA title game appearance and some controversy courtesy of Reese. I think Clark has potential to make even more next year than if she stayed in college, but if her game doesn't transcend at the next level, she will quickly be forgotten.

The WNBA - management, current players and alum - all should really be proactive in welcoming her to the league and building some excitement around it. It's in their best interest, but given past history, I anticipate that they will downplay her and try to focus more on the established players. And honestly, Clark should be going to the Olympics. The fact that she's not, but 63-year old Diana Taurasi is there playing in her 10th Olympics is a joke and just further evidence of how selfish the players are. So I'm not getting my hopes up.

Let's put it this way...do you remember when Kelsey Plum broke the scoring record? Hardly anyone paid attention. Partially due to the fact that Washington wasn't a contender that year vs. Caitlin coming off a NCAA title game appearance and some controversy courtesy of Reese. I think Clark has potential to make even more next year than if she stayed in college, but if her game doesn't transcend at the next level, she will quickly be forgotten.

The WNBA - management, current players and alum - all should really be proactive in welcoming her to the league and building some excitement around it. It's in their best interest, but given past history, I anticipate that they will downplay her and try to focus more on the established players. And honestly, Clark should be going to the Olympics. The fact that she's not, but 63-year old Diana Taurasi is there playing in her 10th Olympics is a joke and just further evidence of how selfish the players are. So I'm not getting my hopes up.

Wait! Clark isn't going to the Olympics!?

What are we doing?

Wait! Clark isn't going to the Olympics!?

What are we doing?
Right? If you've represented the USA more than once, then step aside. Why do we keep trotting out the same fossils to represent the USA instead of new talent?

The fact that Clark...or even Reese for that matter...are not part of the Olympic team just further cements why pro women's basketball can't build a fanbase. You think young fans want to see all these old women playing? The USA could win the gold, silver and bronze by themselves. Bring the young players in and build on the college buzz.

Vastly underestimating the vice grip Connecticut had on the sport, through various means both political and corporate, for the past twenty years.
It's not just a Connecticut thing. If we're talking about growing the game/growing the fanbase, then it should be that after representing the USA 2x, then take a step back. Catchings, Fowles, Augustus, McCoughtry, Griner among others didn't go to UConn but all played in too many Olympic games. In the meantime, Nneke Ogwumike was robbed of the chance to play in the Olympics because the highly politicized FIBA board wouldn't kick someone off with multiple trips, but at the same time blocked her from playing for Nigeria. Then you have all the other players that played for other countries because they knew that once you're in on the USA team, you're pretty much there until you retire.

I've always thought a two Olympic limit should be set. The U.S. will always have enough outstanding players available to field a gold medal contending team, and we, as a country, should insist more players get the opportunity.

Yes, that Taurasi is on the team again is pure selfishness on her part. I would feel exactly the same if it were Tamika or Candace. I can't even watch USA Basketball anymore it makes me so sick to see the selfishness. Ugh.

I've always thought a two Olympic limit should be set. The U.S. will always have enough outstanding players available to field a gold medal contending team, and we, as a country, should insist more players get the opportunity.

Yes, that Taurasi is on the team again is pure selfishness on her part. I would feel exactly the same if it were Tamika or Candace. I can't even watch USA Basketball anymore it makes me so sick to see the selfishness. Ugh.
The worst part about Taurasi still being on the team is she isn't even that good anymore compared to the other younger players.

100% agree that there should be limits and players should be given the opportunity to play in the Olympics. For most, just one Olympic experience is a once in a lifetime opportunity. The women hogging all of those spots over multiple years were incredibly selfish and inconsiderate, and unfortunately it wasn't just Taurasi and Bird. Catchings was just as guilty. She played on the Olympic Team 4x (16 years). The only reason that Candace's slight (would have been her 3rd Olympics) was an issue...at least for me...is because of all the UConn players they kept on the team. Then you have someone like Griner and Stewart who's well on their way to playing for team USA past age 40 as well.

The only reason that Candace's slight (would have been her 3rd Olympics) was an issue...at least for me...is because of all the UConn players they kept on the team.

This was more or less the tipping point for me. Taurasi's played in FIVE Olympics - and on her way to her SIXTH. Bird played 5 straight too. Arrogance. Pure arrogance. And everyone let them do it.

Auriemma never forgot about that dunk in Hartford. And he got his chance to pay it back.

The worst part about Taurasi still being on the team is she isn't even that good anymore compared to the other younger players.

100% agree that there should be limits and players should be given the opportunity to play in the Olympics. For most, just one Olympic experience is a once in a lifetime opportunity. The women hogging all of those spots over multiple years were incredibly selfish and inconsiderate, and unfortunately it wasn't just Taurasi and Bird. Catchings was just as guilty. She played on the Olympic Team 4x (16 years). The only reason that Candace's slight (would have been her 3rd Olympics) was an issue...at least for me...is because of all the UConn players they kept on the team. Then you have someone like Griner and Stewart who's well on their way to playing for team USA past age 40 as well.

Candace's omission was ludicrous regardless of who they put on the team ahead of her. She was a legit top 3 player in the world at that time. I would've even been fine with her being on the team over Catchings because Catchings, at that point, shouldn't have been on the team by then.

I didn't even know Taurasi was going to be on this team. What a crock.

Candace's omission was ludicrous regardless of who they put on the team ahead of her. She was a legit top 3 player in the world at that time. I would've even been fine with her being on the team over Catchings because Catchings, at that point, shouldn't have been on the team by then.

I didn't even know Taurasi was going to be on this team. What a crock.
I came out against Catch being on yet another Olympic team that last games she was on it, and she was my favorite player in the world at that time.

It's not just a Connecticut thing. If we're talking about growing the game/growing the fanbase, then it should be that after representing the USA 2x, then take a step back. Catchings, Fowles, Augustus, McCoughtry, Griner among others didn't go to UConn but all played in too many Olympic games. In the meantime, Nneke Ogwumike was robbed of the chance to play in the Olympics because the highly politicized FIBA board wouldn't kick someone off with multiple trips, but at the same time blocked her from playing for Nigeria. Then you have all the other players that played for other countries because they knew that once you're in on the USA team, you're pretty much there until you retire.
Or move into the home. Whichever comes first.

Reactions: Amb3096
She will most likely have to elevate her game, somehow, because there's probably not a team in the WNBA that doesn't have at least one lock-down defender that will be quicker, smarter, more clever than any she's ever faced at the college level. And those pro players will be trying their best to not let the rook make them look bad.

I could see opposing defenses being all over her for 90 feet.

On the other hand, the pros won't have seen a player with her crazy range before, and so it's going to challenge the stamina of defenders to have to defend so closely so far out.

The Fever front office cannot believe their luck this year to get that No.1 pick. But Indy being Indy, they may end up finding new and unseen-before-now ways to fall flat this coming season despite having both Aliyah Boston and Caitlyn Clark on the roster.
That is exactly what they said about Steph. Her endless off ball movement, her high and quick release, and her quick first step will transfer. She is also an incredible passer who will have other threats on her team. If teams overload on her she will find the open shooters. If she goes to Indiana, her high low game with Boston will be nightmarish to defend. She is bigger and stronger than she looks as well. Like Steph, she is going to change the geometry of the game.

Her difficulty will be on the defensive side. Iowa really keeps her from having to take too many tough assignments and WNBA teams will have more than enoughy players to exploit her vulnerabilities. Getting better defensively is going to be her longer term challenge.

Kelsey Plum has had a good WNBA career and I think has won 2 titles plus individual awards. Clark will be the same. Of course Clark won't
be as dominant as a pro as she was in college--that goes without saying. But I'll be very surprised if she's not good/very
good. Her WNBA salary will be irrelevant, really, as she'll make millions from advertising/endorsement deals. That will make her much like some high-school prospects now, except the high-school prospect haven't accomplished diddly and most won't accomplish all that much and in the future will laugh about it. "I was never more than 2nd string but got a million dollars anyway!"
Probably not in her first season but barring injuries she will own the WNBA. Lobo's comparison to Taurasi should not be ignored except that CC has shooting range that has not been seen before in the women's game.

She will be going up against better comp but she will have better quality teammates with her. She has been a double-double and triple-double machine. She can get on the glass and is a great passer. It is one dimensional players whose games tend not to translate. CC's will.

Reactions: travis929
Olympic committee just over looks asshat Geno's player picks. Guess as long as he wins the gold they don't care. Taurasi apparently can play as long as she can walk. Time to replace him with a coach who just picks the best players.

There are several out there who are clearly better than him. Keep hoping that every time Dawn kicks U Conns butt the Olympic committee will take notice and name her the coach.

Olympic committee just over looks asshat Geno's player picks. Guess as long as he wins the gold they don't care. Taurasi apparently can play as long as she can walk. Time to replace him with a coach who just picks the best players.

There are several out there who are clearly better than him. Keep hoping that every time Dawn kicks U Conns butt the Olympic committee will take notice and name her the coach.
What ? He stopped coaching Olympic teams in 2016 and Dawn coached the 2020 team !!

Last edited:

She'll make more money with endorsements as a pro than staying in college another year, which would essentially be a waste of time. At some point, when you have superior talent, you have to move on. This argument that if the school pays her enough, she should stay in college, is dumb: You're essentially saying college sports is now professional sports, and I have a serious problem with that. College should be college--not professional sports masquerading as college.

Plum suffered from the fact that Pac12 teams/games in all sports just don't get seen very often on TV by East Coast/Midwest fans. They are hurt by the time difference, among other factors. With streaming you CAN see West Coast teams, but even so the exposure is just not the same.

Reactions: brittannica
She'll make more money with endorsements as a pro than staying in college another year, which would essentially be a waste of time. At some point, when you have superior talent, you have to move on. This argument that if the school pays her enough, she should stay in college, is dumb: You're essentially saying college sports is now professional sports, and I have a serious problem with that. College should be college--not professional sports masquerading as college.
Where did I say she should stay in college? I said she will make more as a pro next year than if she she stayed at Iowa because her endorsements will follow her...as long as she delivers at the next level.

Reactions: knoxvol52
Probably not in her first season but barring injuries she will own the WNBA. Lobo's comparison to Taurasi should not be ignored except that CC has shooting range that has not been seen before in the women's game.

She will be going up against better comp but she will have better quality teammates with her. She has been a double-double and triple-double machine. She can get on the glass and is a great passer. It is one dimensional players whose games tend not to translate. CC's will.
I doubt she will own the league

Plum suffered from the fact that Pac12 teams/games in all sports just don't get seen very often on TV by East Coast/Midwest fans. They are hurt by the time difference, among other factors. With streaming you CAN see West Coast teams, but even so the exposure is just not the same.
Plum deserves more credit, the media picks who they want to give coverage and hype up.

Right? If you've represented the USA more than once, then step aside. Why do we keep trotting out the same fossils to represent the USA instead of new talent?

The fact that Clark...or even Reese for that matter...are not part of the Olympic team just further cements why pro women's basketball can't build a fanbase. You think young fans want to see all these old women playing? The USA could win the gold, silver and bronze by themselves. Bring the young players in and build on the college buzz.
Clark and Reese are not part of the National team right now because they are still in college. After they graduate, they will be becoming pros, and I guarantee that Clark will be part of that team. I believe in the past they have taken one recently graduated player for the roster if they are good enough, and in this case, Clark fits the bill.

Reactions: brittannica

VN Store

Back