Butch Jones: Tennessee Spring Game In Jeopardy

Spring Game is a joke anyways

I agree. As Butch says it is more like a "festival" than a game. -------one on one matchups----QBs throwing at barrels-----Arian Foster as a DJ------no kick off or punt returns. I'm not saying it is a bad thing, but it is not a game. If this is what it takes to avoid injuries, work on some weaknesses, showcase for recruit prospects, get the fans juiced for the season---have at it Butch.

Reactions: 2 people
You are absolutely correct.
I made a post a few months back about too much training year a round.

People arent getting the time to heal properly

20 years ago the average lineman wasn't 300+ pounds and ran a 4.9 40. Bigger faster guys lead to harder collisions so more injuries. This and proper technique is usually an afterthought.

Whenever CBJ can make an excuse for something then you better believe he will do it......I mean there are about 14 - 16 players out due to injury but you still have over 60 players out there that you can build from for a spring game................I can hear him now if he loses next season by saying, we were not able to get certain players up to speed in the new system due to injuries waaaaay back in the spring.....

Too soon...

It won't be cancelled, at most the format might be changed up is all.

Its been a different style of game the past few years hasnt it, last year he was just walking around with a megaphone screaming "CEO dobbs" while the qbs had accuracy tests etc, rite?

didnt they just do drills and what not, with an odd scoring system, i didnt think it had been a full blown "game" in a few years....

and to be clear, i have no issue with whatever format, but this isnt the first year it might not be a "game" right ?

Howz about going 7on7. We had several players injured going into spring drills we're a M*A*S*H* unit at the present time. :crazy:

Last edited:
I want to make sure I understand correctly.

The fact that I have attended only a handful of spring games means that I am not a true unconditional fan?

You have decided that my attendance of well over 100 regular season home and away games, 3 sec championship games, multiple bowl games and a national championship game, doesn't make me a true unconditional fan? .... Lol at some ppl on this board riding their Effin high horse.... I didn't know we need to post our fan resumes on here. I have no reason to believe Vols 30 is anything less than a true Vol fan. Why do you?

Stop judging others and join in the fun of UT football.

Everyone is a different level of fan. It's not a competition to me. As long as you root for the Vols, you're a fan. Half of other fans don't know the players name and numbers by heart like most of us. It doesn't matter though they're still wearing orange and supporting us. We shouldn't judge others lol, it's childish.

dude... Would you just shut the eff up?

People like you over-react to the smallest things. If coach jones doesn't want to have a traditional spring game then more power to him. I'd rather he make the possible smart move of keeping a player from getting injured than a dumb move to appease fans like you.
amen

Reactions: 1 person
How many people would make a 2 or 3 hour drive just watch a few drills? I'll be watching on SECN if they stick with Butch's plan

IMO, the traditional spring game isn't any more entertaining than the format Butch has followed last year and apparently this year. Watching the 2nd strings vs the 1st strings, while coaches are maneuvering around and making situational calls is not any more enjoyable than watching individual drills and competitions. Not to mention the "Circle of Life" drill blows anything included in past spring formats out of the water.

I understand the event and the fan thing but not having the anxiety and competitive nature of a real game deflates it for me, JMO. It is not the same for that reason, but it is a great opportunity to take young children for their first trip to Neyland to see how they will perform in game situations.

I see what you are saying, but there was never the anxiety and competitive nature at any of the regularly formatted Spring Games I attended. It was more of a family picnic type of atmosphere where everybody there was just happy to see the boys back in pads in Neyland. I just want to see what the new talent looks like, as well as seeing what the incumbent players have improved on, so I can see that just fine in the individual drills/competition format.

Oh my God the sky is falling !!! Butch making excuses !!! Spring game might be cancelled !!, Good grief. get over it. Go out and have a great time. Enjoy the day. Real football starts in the fall. Jeez

Oh my God the sky is falling !!! Butch making excuses !!! Spring game might be cancelled !!, Good grief. get over it. Go out and have a great time. Enjoy the day. Real football starts in the fall. Jeez

Lol

Spring Game is a joke anyways

They play for like 5 minutes, then will do a circle of life drill, then some type of WR vs CB competition. I actually would rather watch a practice than a fake game because you can see much more individual competition and there would be a lesser chance for injuries. This is probably our most important season in 10 years, if not more cause of the way the SEC is playing out and the talent level we have for this year. No sense in getting our best players or even reserves hurt over a stupid game that no one really pays attention to.

I see what you are saying, but there was never the anxiety and competitive nature at any of the regularly formatted Spring Games I attended. It was more of a family picnic type of atmosphere where everybody there was just happy to see the boys back in pads in Neyland. I just want to see what the new talent looks like, as well as seeing what the incumbent players have improved on, so I can see that just fine in the individual drills/competition format.

I think for a lot of fans, it gave them a reason to have another tailgate haha

I'd be fine with no scrimmage. Have them do drills and let some fans meet the players and call it a day.

Its been a different style of game the past few years hasnt it, last year he was just walking around with a megaphone screaming "CEO dobbs" while the qbs had accuracy tests etc, rite?

didnt they just do drills and what not, with an odd scoring system, i didnt think it had been a full blown "game" in a few years....

and to be clear, i have no issue with whatever format, but this isnt the first year it might not be a "game" right ?

No there was a game last year as well but it wasn't full blown. They put both Dormady and Jennings in at QB as well. I don't think anyone does a full blown game anymore, it's just not worth the risk of injury to do that.

Last edited:
I call BS all over.

I fail to see how your not a "true" fan if you wont drive 4 hours with gas at $1.89 and having a family to feed to just watch spring drills. I've spent $400+ on tix to go see a game and enjoy it, but telling other people they aint fans because they wont go watch a few drills is like saying you aint a fan because you didn't go to college there.. :hi:
If gas prices are that much of an issue you shouldn't be going in any case. I mean are you saying if they play a scrimmage your kids can starve, but if it's just practice you'll spend that 40 bucks buying them some Burger King?

Whenever CBJ can make an excuse for something then you better believe he will do it......I mean there are about 14 - 16 players out due to injury but you still have over 60 players out there that you can build from for a spring game................I can hear him now if he loses next season by saying, we were not able to get certain players up to speed in the new system due to injuries waaaaay back in the spring.....

He's probably being just a little bit of a worry wart too but he's the one who get's hammered by the fans if he allows players to get hurt so he can't win for losing. The Spring Game wins us no championships.

True unconditional fans...fans like us would come out and support our team no matter what the spring game format might be! But you sit at home in the comfortable confines of your home..and continue to tell the world what a huge fan you've "always" been...especially if we have a special season!

A true fan wouldn't say "if".

This is a ruse by CBJ, the old master! This mis-info is just to confuse the SEC teams shivering in fear over what CBJ is going to do to them during the regular season. We have Deep depth, ready for all comers, and we'll easily win the SEC This year. CBJ's year.

VN Store

Back