Butch Jones: Tennessee Spring Game In Jeopardy

I'd be happy just having some receivers line up and run some middle and deep routes and see if Dobbs is going to be able to throw it in the ocean this year. Our whole season...good or bad...relies on his progression as a passer.

Reactions: 1 person
I remember being at a spring game when Peerless Price broke his ankle (I believe it was) when he was tackled by some scrub in the end zone.

A glorified practice is fine with me. I have never gone to a spring game believing I would watch a great game.

I'd be happy just having some receivers line up and run some middle and deep routes and see if Dobbs is going to be able to throw it in the ocean this year. Our whole season...good or bad...relies on his progression as a passer.

I disagree. We just need Dobbs to be a smart game manager (developed passing would be a nice bonus). Our defense will be stout. And our playmakers in all 3 phases are more than capable of winning games.

Reactions: 2 people
We might be witnessing another element in the ongoing evolution of the game of football. The classic spring game may become less and less common over the next few decades. Who knows, maybe 25 years from now no one will consider spring games any more integral to the sport than most of us consider, say, the 3rd down quick kick, or single platoon football, or fullbacks today.

I mean, think of that coach (forgot his name and team) who never allows contact in practice. Maybe some version of him is the future of the high school and college game....

We might be witnessing another element in the ongoing evolution of the game of football. The classic spring game may become less and less common over the next few decades. Who knows, maybe 25 years from now no one will consider spring games any more integral to the sport than most of us consider, say, the 3rd down quick kick, or single platoon football, or fullbacks today.

I mean, think of that coach (forgot his name and team) who never allows contact in practice. Maybe some version of him is the future of the high school and college game....

Absolutely. I believe the Ivy League just passed the 'no tackling in practice' rule. I wouldn't be surprised to see that carry over to all college football within the next 10 years.

Hmm.... Make the spring game a practice... Seems like I've heard this somewhere before.... :question:

muschamp-stare-rage-mad-face-570x427.jpeg

Florida Gators make spring game a regular practice

If gas prices are that much of an issue you shouldn't be going in any case. I mean are you saying if they play a scrimmage your kids can starve, but if it's just practice you'll spend that 40 bucks buying them some Burger King?

Instead of looking at it way It just looks, look at the meaning. Its a very simple example, its about what you can call a true fan. I have no kids of my own.

The post I quoted said that you wasn't a true fan if you wouldn't drive 3-4 hours to watch a few drills [QB throwing footballs into a trash can]. In my case I'll be there due to only living 40 or so miles away, but not everyone has that luxury..

If a guy gets up and its cloudy and might rain, is he not a fan by not going? If your job calls and makes you work and you can't go are you not a fan? You can put any these in place of my OP and it come out the same. No one has the right not to call you a true fan for not going to a spring game.

:ermm: Who in their right mind would spend $40 at Burger King anyway. :eek:lol:

2 weeks from today - the Orange and White game --- cant wait for some Vols football

I don't care how they format it, I'll get to see a few nice throw & catches, and hear some pads poppin. :clapping:

I'll get to see some of our new players, whether new on campus or coming off redshirt year. :popcorn:

Will be surrounded by nothing but fellow Vol fans. :salute:

I'll be driving up from Baton Rouge for it, just like I do every year. :loco:

Reactions: 3 people
We are taking Friday off, driving 6 hours for the spring event of O &W weekend. Food,fun,friends and the campus of my alma mater. A springboard to summer and anticipation of 7 weekends in the fall.GBO.

:good!: That's what I'm talking about! I'll be driving up from Memphis with my son who will be an incoming Freshman in the fall.

The simple facts that there are some injuries or that it might only be a glorified practice couldn't stop me from being in that stadium that day with him. It's the beginning of his college career at UT and that is extremely special and means more than whether or not we run our first offense.....

IMHO......

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back