Butch Jones: Tennessee Spring Game In Jeopardy

Twenty years ago, as I recall, the spring game was something close to a real game. There didn't seem to be as many injuries back then. Since then, there seems to be a raft of injuries every year and guys not taking part in spring practice.

Reactions: 1 person
I understand the event and the fan thing but not having the anxiety and competitive nature of a real game deflates it for me, JMO. It is not the same for that reason, but it is a great opportunity to take young children for their first trip to Neyland to see how they will perform in game situations.

I understand the event and the fan thing but not having the anxiety and competitive nature of a real game deflates it for me, JMO. It is not the same for that reason, but it is a great opportunity to take young children for their first trip to Neyland to see how they will perform in game situations.

And a weekend in Knoxville and tailgating

We are taking Friday off, driving 6 hours for the spring event of O &W weekend. Food,fun,friends and the campus of my alma mater. A springboard to summer and anticipation of 7 weekends in the fall.GBO.

Reactions: 5 people
Guys let Butch do his job. I read one poster that was b itching about all our injuries and now is pissed we may not have a spring game. The Spring game is really a pep rally but in no way resembles the product we will see when the season begins. Let it go, Butch knows what he is doing.

Reactions: 2 people
O&W festival. 4 hours of player access for autographs and pictures. Let the kids run through drills with the big boys. Make it crowd appreciation. Low impact and no injuries.

Twenty years ago, as I recall, the spring game was something close to a real game. There didn't seem to be as many injuries back then. Since then, there seems to be a raft of injuries every year and guys not taking part in spring practice.

i remember Fulmer didn't want to do the Spring game because of the risk of injuries

There's plenty of depth to have an actual game. I think Butch just views the risk/reward of a spring game as being not worth it. Especially prior to such an important season.

There's enough hype for team 120 that people will show up just to see them practice and run a few drills.[/QUOTE

I totally agree. Having the team beat the snot out of each other in a spring game is dumb. They have worked hard enough. No need for a "game" to end spring practice.

It's not about lack of depth. Too many guys recovering from offseason surgeries and precautionary approach for other guys is causing the lack of guys for spring game

No depth because of good players or no depth because of injuries is still no depth lol I was just saying, I thought this was the year that injuries shouldn't be a huge concern. It never ends :/

Come April 17th who is going to care about the O&W game? Have a fanfest, do a skills challenge, etc. and slap a bow on Spring practice.

Whenever CBJ can make an excuse for something then you better believe he will do it......I mean there are about 14 - 16 players out due to injury but you still have over 60 players out there that you can build from for a spring game................I can hear him now if he loses next season by saying, we were not able to get certain players up to speed in the new system due to injuries waaaaay back in the spring.....
What you going to do what you going to do when butch runs wild on you and Vols win the natty

I have always looked at spring game as opportunity to take my kids to see the Vols for free. When they were younger they all enjoyed it. And I could buy t-shirts, lunch, and get autographs without paying $50 plus per ticket.
No matter the format, it is not a game. It is a scrimmage. And it is great for families who might not be able to go to regular season games.
I wish they would bring back the Orange and White Basketball game. Some of you old timers will remember what I am talking about. I saw Ernie and Bernie play together for the first time as a kid at an O&W game.

I have always looked at spring game as opportunity to take my kids to see the Vols for free. When they were younger they all enjoyed it. And I could buy t-shirts, lunch, and get autographs without paying $50 plus per ticket.
No matter the format, it is not a game. It is a scrimmage. And it is great for families who might not be able to go to regular season games.
I wish they would bring back the Orange and White Basketball game. Some of you old timers will remember what I am talking about. I saw Ernie and Bernie play together for the first time as a kid at an O&W game.

Completely agree! It's a great time for families to go to Neyland without having to make the equivalent of a mortgage payment.

Who cares about the format? It doesn't matter.

In addition to the O&W basketball game they used to hold scrimmages on home games during Nov.

Last edited:
How does Bama end their spring practice? Maybe we should imitate the coach that has won 5 national championships in the SEC. I don't know what all he's doing but whatever it is, it works.

True unconditional fans...fans like us would come out and support our team no matter what the spring game format might be! But you sit at home in the comfortable confines of your home..and continue to tell the world what a huge fan you've "always" been...especially if we have a special season!

I want to make sure I understand correctly.

The fact that I have attended only a handful of spring games means that I am not a true unconditional fan?

You have decided that my attendance of well over 100 regular season home and away games, 3 sec championship games, multiple bowl games and a national championship game, doesn't make me a true unconditional fan? .... Lol at some ppl on this board riding their Effin high horse.... I didn't know we need to post our fan resumes on here. I have no reason to believe Vols 30 is anything less than a true Vol fan. Why do you?

Stop judging others and join in the fun of UT football.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 people

You are absolutely correct.
I made a post a few months back about too much training year a round.

People arent getting the time to heal properly

I call BS all over.

I fail to see how your not a "true" fan if you wont drive 4 hours with gas at $1.89 and having a family to feed to just watch spring drills. I've spent $400+ on tix to go see a game and enjoy it, but telling other people they aint fans because they wont go watch a few drills is like saying you aint a fan because you didn't go to college there.. :hi:

Right on! Hearing these tru fan comments gets really old.

Reactions: 3 people
Whenever CBJ can make an excuse for something then you better believe he will do it......I mean there are about 14 - 16 players out due to injury but you still have over 60 players out there that you can build from for a spring game................I can hear him now if he loses next season by saying, we were not able to get certain players up to speed in the new system due to injuries waaaaay back in the spring.....

Most laughable post of the week.

VN Store

Back