Bridgette Gordon hired as Assistant Coach

Because the head coach (Adams- Birch) was under investigation for mistreatment of players and let go by the university. She probably wanted to make sure that Coach Gordon didn't have complaints either. Speaking from experience a new administration would probably check with an old one to gain insight on character along with other sources. The article said she talked to multiple sources and like in any other job it is common practice to contact a previous employer. With Coach P at Duke they questioned athletes not only about the head coach but also assistants things like were they verbally abusive or did they just stand by and watch... so administration looks at the head coach but also the assistants and the environment that the coaches provide.

She didn't mistreat players, she was hard on them like pat was hard on players fans here would laugh at hearing a player complain , oh coach is so tough on us. Players now are too soft n think they know everything, and are already the best. They would be running to the garbage cans if pat was here coaching. Maybe Bridget will bring her toughness back to the Lady's. They need it

Reactions: 5 people
IMHO, we got the better of the deal with B Gordon. Law accomplished nada while here, imho, though she did give good hugs. :)

Have you read all of Bridgett's accomplishments? N yes she did wonderful things here, and was the roughness player on the team. I watched her play, we could use several Gordon's

Reactions: 1 person
She didn't mistreat players, she was hard on them like pat was hard on players fans here would laugh at hearing a player complain , oh coach is so tough on us. Players now are too soft n think they know everything, and are already the best. They would be running to the garbage cans if pat was here coaching. Maybe Bridget will bring her toughness back to the Lady's. They need it

I wasn't implying she was... I was replying to the poster seemingly trying to stir the pot.

They would be running to the garbage cans if pat was here coaching. Maybe Bridget will bring her toughness back to the Lady's. They need it

Actually, I don't think they would, but NOT because Pat wouldn't wish she could bring out the cans! Even Pat had to soften her approach over the years because not only have young people changed as far as how much "tough love" they'll tolerate before feeling/reporting "abuse," but both societal and NCAA rules and regulations regarding coaching techniques have changed as well.

For instance, it has been well reported that back in the day a coach could tell a player she needed to lose 20 pounds. Today's coaches aren't allowed to have frank conversations about that subject with players.

If a young version of Pat were to begin her coaching career today using the motivation techniques Pat successfully used with her earlier players, she'd not last long.

Reactions: 2 people
Actually, I don't think they would, but NOT because Pat wouldn't wish she could bring out the cans! Even Pat had to soften her approach over the years because not only have young people changed as far as how much "tough love" they'll tolerate before feeling/reporting "abuse," but both societal and NCAA rules and regulations regarding coaching techniques have changed as well.

For instance, it has been well reported that back in the day a coach could tell a player she needed to lose 20 pounds. Today's coaches aren't allowed to have frank conversations about that subject with players.

If a young version of Pat were to begin her coaching career today using the motivation techniques Pat successfully used with her earlier players, she'd not last long.
It's no longer possible to abuse players (what you called motivation techniques). What the coach must do is coach in such a way that the player wants to go above and beyond.

It will be difficult for Gordon to implement a program to toughen up the players, if that's what she wants to do. Holly's personality is to encourage and give gold stars. She's just not a strict disciplinarian. If gordon tried to toughen things up, players would complain to Holly and Holly would probably tell her to back off.

My point was, you don't hire a former assistant if you can hire a former head, unless there are some sort of personal compatibility issues. Adams-Birch obviously has some coaching talent as her record at WS was very good. This program needs to coaching smarts and some toughness. We were likely to get more of both from the former head than Gordon, but it is all a moot point now. I doubt Warlick is secure enough, frankly, to want a former head on the staff.

Your points about hiring a former head coach are valid, but you don't hire someone who was just terminated from a head coaching position only months ago because of abuse complaints, the team boycotting practice, and numerous transfers. This program has already been through too much turmoil in the last year and it needs some stability and not yet another source of contention.

Reactions: 3 people
My point was, you don't hire a former assistant if you can hire a former head, unless there are some sort of personal compatibility issues. Adams-Birch obviously has some coaching talent as her record at WS was very good. This program needs to coaching smarts and some toughness. We were likely to get more of both from the former head than Gordon, but it is all a moot point now. I doubt Warlick is secure enough, frankly, to want a former head on the staff.

I doubt you know her personally enough to make that assumption. Again, she had Dean and Jolette on her squad both with prior head coaching experience. So that sort of throws that theory out the window!

Reactions: 10 people
I doubt you know her personally enough to make that assumption. Again, she had Dean and Jolette on her squad both with prior head coaching experience. So that sort of throws that theory out the window!

There you go again. Letting facts get in the way.🙄

Reactions: 4 people
"It became even more touching when Warlick told Gordon, who was an assistant at Wichita State for the past seven years and recruiting coordinator from 2012-16, she was the only person she had contacted about the job."

I had hoped that UT would be open to casting a wide net in the search for a new assistant, but clearly that wasn't the case.

Anywho, I'm anxious to see if Gordon can improve defense, chemistry and accountability, which were talking points mentioned in the article.

Go Lady Vols!

"It became even more touching when Warlick told Gordon, who was an assistant at Wichita State for the past seven years and recruiting coordinator from 2012-16, she was the only person she had contacted about the job."

I had hoped that UT would be open to casting a wide net in the search for a new assistant, but clearly that wasn't the case.

Anywho, I'm anxious to see if Gordon can improve defense, chemistry and accountability, which were talking points mentioned in the article.

Go Lady Vols!
Where did that quote come from? I thought someone on this board "in the know" said she had sent out offers to quite a few people.

VN Store

Back