Bridgette Gordon hired as Assistant Coach

If the head coach can delegate responsibility to the assistant and not micro manage, the assistant can be productive. It will be interesting to see if Gordon plays an integral part and not just be an order taker. The head coaches job is just too big for one person and delegation with authority is the key to success.

I agree with you as far as being productive... but i would just temper expectations, because assistants will never shine brighter than the HC

this is one of the most refreshing threads I've read - the true LV fans being heard -one after the other -

Basketball, football players relate to their position coach - and as someone who has listened to many post game reports many times the POG will speak of the support, advice or kick in the pants that has lead to improvement. I'm sure many players will have little knowledge of BG's accomplishments when they arrive. There was a story on ESPN some years back that an NBA player didn't know his coach was a #1 former player or #2 who's jersey ha been retired until he looked up in the rafters.

A story on BG - early in her freshmen year. A player was fouled two-shots - she missed but BG was in the lane too early ; player reshot and yet again she violated the lane again. Pat substituted with a smile better timing but keep up the aggressive attitude smile. Many good memories -

And a trivia question - which player's parent bought her a Mercedes after her team won the big one?

this is one of the most refreshing threads I've read - the true LV fans being heard -one after the other -

Basketball, football players relate to their position coach - and as someone who has listened to many post game reports many times the POG will speak of the support, advice or kick in the pants that has lead to improvement. I'm sure many players will have little knowledge of BG's accomplishments when they arrive. There was a story on ESPN some years back that an NBA player didn't know his coach was a #1 former player or #2 who's jersey ha been retired until he looked up in the rafters.

A story on BG - early in her freshmen year. A player was fouled two-shots - she missed but BG was in the lane too early ; player reshot and yet again she violated the lane again. Pat substituted with a smile better timing but keep up the aggressive attitude smile. Many good memories -

And a trivia question - which player's parent bought her a Mercedes after her team won the big one?

I remember that and I forget who it was but I am going to go with Michelle Marciniak?

"First, I would like to thank God for blessing me with this opportunity," Gordon said. "I am grateful to Holly and the UT Athletics administration for the opportunity and for having faith in me to continue building the rich tradition of the Lady Vol program.

"This opportunity is reminiscent of a call I received over 30 years ago, of being offered a scholarship. I had always dreamed of being a Lady Vol. After playing and being part of this rich tradition, I have continued to dream about coming back as a coach and helping Holly continue to add to the Lady Vol legacy. Another dream has come true!

http://www.utsports.com/news/2017/7/20/womens-basketball-bridgette-gordon-joins-lady-vol-staff.aspx
need to be hiring at the top, holly is not getting it done.

Shelley Sexton

IIRC Pat got to drive one around for a year, too. But Shelley's father didn't pay for that one. 😕

for those of you who are frequently negative and those who are positive - what criteria will you use to determine if you like the hire or in your superior wisdom her addition will improve the overall Tennessee women's basketball program. To write "we'll see!" or "Hmmmmm" or "its no secret" "I seriously doubt" are at best inadequate attempts to convey knowledge.

The average fan will never know if her fire as a player can be transferred as a coach to players. Those of us who were fortunate to watch her throughout her career we know she took the game personally (had no mercy) and lead her team by example. I'm sure they will see film of her games and her banner in the rafters.

Can she relate to today's youth? to bring out that fire?

Will she be a strong influence in recruiting 2017 - I wouldn't expect that at this late date?

Is there a cloud over her based on that which transpired at WState? I'm sure that her involvement was well investigated before she was hired by the LVs. (and I expect that the investigation could be the reason that the hire took so long) Remember the Men's basketball hires have had several missteps in the recent past!)

Value added for being a LV legacy in talking the proud tradition. First two NCAA championships

Experience as an associate coach for many years.

Long association with the Head Coach with lessons learned from (fresh ideas)

Nah - She was a Lady Vol.
No investigation needed.

I'm glad she is here hopefully she can connect with some of the players we are recruiting. We'll find out in the next season or two if she can make a difference and she will have to for Holly to still be here.

I think jody adams got a raw deal in the whole witchita st situation. Her coaching style is hardnosed and tough, kinda like coach summitt, but she is fair and this is backed up from several witchita players who stood up for coach adams. unfortunately many of the athletes coming out of high school are way to coddled and babied and expect to be catered to on a constant basis. I think adams and gordon were building something special at witchita st and it is to bad it got derailed by a few snowflakes who couldn't take the heat. If these players couldn't take adams motivational style, they should have just transferred and not dragged her name thru the mud..

As far as ppl saying that coach gordon doesn't bring any real coaching accomplishments to the tennessee staff, i would counter that she helped and was very instrumental in guiding witchita st to three ncaa tourny appearances, as well as several conference titles. Adams and Gordon took this team from celler dweller status to conf champs very quickly. For an assistant coach, this is as close to a homerun hire that tennessee could have got..

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
I think jody adams got a raw deal in the whole witchita st situation. Her coaching style is hardnosed and tough, kinda like coach summitt, but she is fair and this is backed up from several witchita players who stood up for coach adams. unfortunately many of the athletes coming out of high school are way to coddled and babied and expect to be catered to on a constant basis. I think adams and gordon were building something special at witchita st and it is to bad it got derailed by a few snowflakes who couldn't take the heat. If these players couldn't take adams motivational style, they should have just transferred and not dragged her name thru the mud..

As far as ppl saying that coach gordon doesn't bring any real coaching accomplishments to the tennessee staff, i would counter that she helped and was very instrumental in guiding witchita st to three ncaa tourny appearances, as well as several conference titles. Adams and Gordon took this team from celler dweller status to conf champs very quickly. For an assistant coach, this is as close to a homerun hire that tennessee could have got..

I agree and if BG recruited the 47th best class to WSU that in itself is an accomplishment!:rock:

Reactions: 2 people
I agree and if BG recruited the 47th best class to WSU that in itself is an accomplishment!:rock:

Wichita State is obviously not an easy place to which to recruit--but 47th isn't anything to shout about.

Why didn't Warlick hire Adams-Birch? She was the person to hire. She is obviously a good coach--surely the best in the thin PS coaching tree. She sounds GENUINELY tough-minded, which is what the Vols need, and Adams-Birch will probably be an even better coach going forward after incorporating the lessons learned from her very good stint at WS.

One of the problems with Warlick is that she isn't really tough-minded. She was the players friend and confidante for /many/ years as 2nd assistant. She TRIES to be tough, certainly--but kids are perceptive: they can tell the difference between somebody who is genuinely brass tacks and somebody whose personality doesn't match her rhetoric.

Maybe Warlick contacted Adams-Birch, and Adams-Birch wasn't interested in an assistant position here--but it would have been the PERFECT way for Adams-Birch to put herself in a position, with a high-profile program, to get another head job somewhere in another couple of years. That was the move to make!

That makes sense to me, too. Perhaps she is rooted now in Wichita having recently married???

This link to an article posted back in January might lend some insight:

http://www.kansas.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/bob-lutz/article128502824.html

Perhaps some telling quotes:

“I’ll still go to games,” she said. “I’m a Shocker fan.”

and...

"She said Tuesday she might coach again, but that it’s too soon to know. [Remember, this was January.]

“I don’t know what’s next,” Adams-Birch said. “I’m going to take some time. Obviously, I want to be able to help people. I love people and I love seeing people smile. And I do enjoy working hard and being challenged. People have called and asked, ‘Are you ready?’ I don’t even know what day I’m on, so no, not yet."

Last edited:
I'm very curious to know if Warlick pitched Adams-Birch. You've got two former Vols just let go from Wichita State, and she would have been the one to chase.

I'm very curious to know if Warlick pitched Adams-Birch. You've got two former Vols just let go from Wichita State, and she would have been the one to chase.

Many coaches who are presumably on the "hot seat" will not hire another coach as their assistant with previous Head Coaching experience, especially if that coach was winning where they were.

Brigette also made it known that she wanted the job as soon as it became available (like I'm sure Coach Staley knew Jolette Law would be interested in the position vacated by Nicky McCray)

I am willing to give coach Gordon a chance to prove her value rather than getting in an uproar on who is a better candidate

Reactions: 6 people
Wichita State is obviously not an easy place to which to recruit--but 47th isn't anything to shout about.

Why didn't Warlick hire Adams-Birch? She was the person to hire. She is obviously a good coach--surely the best in the thin PS coaching tree. She sounds GENUINELY tough-minded, which is what the Vols need, and Adams-Birch will probably be an even better coach going forward after incorporating the lessons learned from her very good stint at WS.

One of the problems with Warlick is that she isn't really tough-minded. She was the players friend and confidante for /many/ years as 2nd assistant. She TRIES to be tough, certainly--but kids are perceptive: they can tell the difference between somebody who is genuinely brass tacks and somebody whose personality doesn't match her rhetoric.

Maybe Warlick contacted Adams-Birch, and Adams-Birch wasn't interested in an assistant position here--but it would have been the PERFECT way for Adams-Birch to put herself in a position, with a high-profile program, to get another head job somewhere in another couple of years. That was the move to make!

Why don't ya ask Adams-Birch the next time ya see her ? How do you know Coach Gordon isn't a tough nosed coach ? Just curious as to if you have any inside info that the rest of us don't have ?

Reactions: 5 people
IMHO, we got the better of the deal with B Gordon. Law accomplished nada while here, imho, though she did give good hugs. :)

Reactions: 5 people
Why don't ya ask Adams-Birch the next time ya see her ? How do you know Coach Gordon isn't a tough nosed coach ? Just curious as to if you have any inside info that the rest of us don't have ?

wasn't tough-nosed. The fact is, she was the recruiting coordinator at WS and so may not have been involved in basketball tactics and scouting, and player development much at all. My point was, why go after an assistant when you might get the head coach? She would have been the better hire as she has done and seen more....The UT football team has at least two and maybe three former head coaches working as assistants. They have top level experience and so their viewpoint is generally more valuable than someone who hasn't been a head coach. As I say, don't know if Adams-Birch would have wanted the job, but you've got to ask--and maybe Warlick did. I doubt it, but maybe.

Reactions: 1 person
wasn't tough-nosed. The fact is, she was the recruiting coordinator at WS and so may not have been involved in basketball tactics and scouting, and player development much at all. My point was, why go after an assistant when you might get the head coach? She would have been the better hire as she has done and seen more....The UT football team has at least two and maybe three former head coaches working as assistants. They have top level experience and so their viewpoint is generally more valuable than someone who hasn't been a head coach. As I say, don't know if Adams-Birch would have wanted the job, but you've got to ask--and maybe Warlick did. I doubt it, but maybe.

I just thought you had inside information of some sort we didn't know about ... but just to he clear Dean was a head coach before also. While his Head Coaching record was not successful he was a head coach and has sat in that chair before... Adams-Birch may also not have been considered because she had the athletes that said she was unfair and the overall atmosphere was not "nice" maybe administration didn't want to deal with that? But considering CHW spoke with admin at WSU about Coach Gordon I guess she cleared that barrier.

I just thought you had inside information of some sort we didn't know about ... but just to he clear Dean was a head coach before also. While his Head Coaching record was not successful he was a head coach and has sat in that chair before... Adams-Birch may also not have been considered because she had the athletes that said she was unfair and the overall atmosphere was not "nice" maybe administration didn't want to deal with that? But considering CHW spoke with admin at WSU about Coach Gordon I guess she cleared that barrier.

Why would CHW have had to speak with the WSU admin to consider one of their former employees?

Why would CHW have had to speak with the WSU admin to consider one of their former employees?

Because the head coach (Adams- Birch) was under investigation for mistreatment of players and let go by the university. She probably wanted to make sure that Coach Gordon didn't have complaints either. Speaking from experience a new administration would probably check with an old one to gain insight on character along with other sources. The article said she talked to multiple sources and like in any other job it is common practice to contact a previous employer. With Coach P at Duke they questioned athletes not only about the head coach but also assistants things like were they verbally abusive or did they just stand by and watch... so administration looks at the head coach but also the assistants and the environment that the coaches provide.

Because the head coach (Adams- Birch) was under investigation for mistreatment of players and let go by the university. She probably wanted to make sure that Coach Gordon didn't have complaints either. Speaking from experience a new administration would probably check with an old one to gain insight on character along with other sources. The article said she talked to multiple sources and like in any other job it is common practice to contact a previous employer. With Coach P at Duke they questioned athletes not only about the head coach but also assistants things like were they verbally abusive or did they just stand by and watch... so administration looks at the head coach but also the assistants and the environment that the coaches provide.
Maybe public schools are different, but very few employers have policies that allow giving references. Opens a company to litigation.

Plus, many prospective employees say no when asked if it is ok to contact employers. Particularly when still employed, as many bosses don't like hearing news that you are looking for a job and may retaliate if the person wanting to leave doesn't get the new job.

Maybe public schools are different, but very few employers have policies that allow giving references. Opens a company to litigation.

Plus, many prospective employees say no when asked if it is ok to contact employers. Particularly when still employed, as many bosses don't like hearing news that you are looking for a job and may retaliate if the person wanting to leave doesn't get the new job.

Uh she was let go because the coach brought all of her staff from her old school. I don't think her old school talking to them would be a problem as she was highly recommended. I don't think her previous employers would care she was looking for a new job as her contract was not renewed by the athletics department because of the new coach being hired 🙂 But who knows ...

Idiotic post.

Reactions: 4 people

VN Store

Back