Bridgette Gordon hired as Assistant Coach

I remember her playing with fire and passion. If she can transfer that to the talent on our roster, we will be better than just fine.

Reactions: 2 people
I do not know how an assistant coach can make a significant difference without the HC leading the charge in similar, and have never really seen an example of this in sport.... where an assistant leads the way, but I hope things change relative to effort and bring your best each and every night.... Hope for the best

Reactions: 1 person
I think this is a great hire. She is in the wcbb hall of fame, 2 time national champ and has won gold at the olympics..for an assistant coach, im not so sure who tennessee could have hired with as many or more accolades. Cant wait for the season to start!!

All of the accolades you listed were earned as a player, not as a coach. Playing basketball well and coaching basketball well require completely different skillsets. Success in one is no guarantee of success in the other. There are a number of successful HOF coaches who were mediocre players at best and some who did not play WCBB at all. There are also a number of women who were all-Americans in college but did not have the skills to parlay that into a successful career as a coach.

I am not saying Gordon cannot be a successful coach at Tennessee, only that her track record of success was as a player, not a coach. During her years at Wichita State, the school was never considered a basketball powerhouse. In fact, most programs would consider Wichita State the kind of cupcake Baylor loads up on every season. In March, she was dismissed from her job by Coach Keitha Adams. If she had been an invaluable part of the program, wouldn't the coach have made it worth her while to keep her? I will take a wait and see approach.

Reactions: 3 people
There are also countless former players who have become excellent coaches/asst coaches, including last year's NC coach and a certain blonde lady sitting next to Geno. There's no reason to use that against Bridgette. Maybe not my ideal choice personally, but given the circumstances, she deserves a chance before she gets thrown to the wolves.

I do not know how an assistant coach can make a significant difference without the HC leading the charge in similar, and have never really seen an example of this in sport.... where an assistant leads the way, but I hope things change relative to effort and bring your best each and every night.... Hope for the best

If the head coach can delegate responsibility to the assistant and not micro manage, the assistant can be productive. It will be interesting to see if Gordon plays an integral part and not just be an order taker. The head coaches job is just too big for one person and delegation with authority is the key to success.

There are also countless former players who have become excellent coaches/asst coaches, including last year's NC coach and a certain blonde lady sitting next to Geno. There's no reason to use that against Bridgette. Maybe not my ideal choice personally, but given the circumstances, she deserves a chance before she gets thrown to the wolves.

Thanks for being the voice of reason, Amb. These people making all these unnecessary comments about Coach Gordon make me sick...already trying to condemn her before see even gets a chance to make an impact. This fan base is really something else! And I'm not even sure all these comments are from our fan base...which has no place here, in my opinion.

Reactions: 4 people

I agree with you 100%. If you go back and reread my post, nowhere did I hold her success as a player against her. What I said was that success as a player and success as a coach require different skills. Some people can be good at both, some people are good at neither, and others are only good at one or the other. I know that Gordon was a fantastic player. I don't yet know if that translates into success as a coach. I will wait and see before passing judgment either way.

Tennessee has one of the most talented rosters in the country every year. What has been lacking is a coaching staff that knows how to maximize that talent and get the players to perform as a team and play like a well-oiled machine. If Gordon can do that, it will be good for Tennessee and for all of WCBB.

All of the accolades you listed were earned as a player, not as a coach. Playing basketball well and coaching basketball well require completely different skillsets. Success in one is no guarantee of success in the other. There are a number of successful HOF coaches who were mediocre players at best and some who did not play WCBB at all. There are also a number of women who were all-Americans in college but did not have the skills to parlay that into a successful career as a coach.

I am not saying Gordon cannot be a successful coach at Tennessee, only that her track record of success was as a player, not a coach. During her years at Wichita State, the school was never considered a basketball powerhouse. In fact, most programs would consider Wichita State the kind of cupcake Baylor loads up on every season. In March, she was dismissed from her job by Coach Keitha Adams. If she had been an invaluable part of the program, wouldn't the coach have made it worth her while to keep her? I will take a wait and see approach.

In March, she was dismissed from her job by Coach Keitha Adams.

This could have been for a lot of reason, could have been because of a personality conflict.

I agree with you 100%. If you go back and reread my post, nowhere did I hold her success as a player against her. What I said was that success as a player and success as a coach require different skills. Some people can be good at both, some people are good at neither, and others are only good at one or the other. I know that Gordon was a fantastic player. I don't yet know if that translates into success as a coach. I will wait and see before passing judgment either way.

Tennessee has one of the most talented rosters in the country every year. What has been lacking is a coaching staff that knows how to maximize that talent and get the players to perform as a team and play like a well-oiled machine. If Gordon can do that, it will be good for Tennessee and for all of WCBB.

But you caution it by prefacing that just being a great college player won't make her a great assistant coach. You could just easily point to the track record of former players who have successfully transitioned into coaching, because at this point there's pretty much nothing to say which case Bridgette will be.

Surely as a UConn fan coming here and saying this (while Shea Ralph is sitting on the bench next to Geno), you can understand why your caution on this is...misplaced?

Reactions: 8 people

Hoya Saxa,

While you profess a "wait and see" attitude, and your premise that being a quality player does not necessarily make a quality coach is undeniably correct, your second paragraph - and particularly the bolded part above - presents an unnecessarily negative tone that negates your earlier reasonable presentation, in my opinion. First, I am not aware of any time that Wichita State has been considered a "powerhouse" (although, if memory serves, they performed better both in conference and on the national stage under Jody Adams and her staff, including Bridgette Gordon, than at any time in the past) which makes your statement that they were not considered a powerhouse while Coach Gordon was on the staff an unnecessary slap.

As to why Coach Keitha Adams failed to keep her on the staff, my general observation has been that a new head coach seldom keeps the assistant staff from the previous head coach in place. The fact that Keitha Adams brought her entire assistant staff from UTEP with her to Wichita State, and did not retain any of the assistants from the previous administration, suggests that this transition was more along the lines of the ordinary as opposed to anything unusual. Your suggestion that Coach Gordon's termination was because she simply wasn't that "valuable" puts an unnecessarily negative slant on what would appear, from all the circumstances, to be a commonplace occurrence, and negates the otherwise reasonable tone of your comments, in my opinion, and was not needed.

As has been said by yourself and several other posters, rather than all the analysis and speculation, let's wait and see. The upcoming season could provide some immediate insight!

Jim

Reactions: 8 people
A Uconn fan has no business coming on here anyalizing anything regarding the Lady Vols BB program and weighing in on our new coach. As has been pointed out by Amb and Jim, they use unnecessarily negative slants to their posts and there is no other reason than to cause dissension among our fans (which there is enough of that already). I don't know why it's allowed and this is one reason I have a hard time putting people on ignore, because when they come here spouting this BS it needs to be addressed.

Reactions: 7 people
A Uconn fan has no business coming on here anyalizing anything regarding the Lady Vols BB program and weighing in on our new coach. As has been pointed out by Amb and Jim, they use unnecessarily negative slants to their posts and there is no other reason than to cause dissension among our fans (which there is enough of that already). I don't know why it's allowed and this is one reason I have a hard time putting people on ignore, because when they come here spouting this BS it needs to be addressed.
The name of the game on these bulletin board sites is traffic. If all adverse comments were suppressed, traffic would be much lower. If this site went to a pay to play format, a la the Summitt, then traffic wouldn't be as important because of membership revenue, and content could be more restrictive.

Even better, you could start your own forum and have complete control over what is posted. That way outsiders would be blissfully oblivious of what was said and I'm sure you would be much happier censoring posts you don't like.

True LV fans here do a pretty good job countering criticism, so it's not a one way street. Also, fans are good at posting things to needle opposing fans.

Remember, basketball is only a game, a diversion from the game of life. No worries.

The name of the game on these bulletin board sites is traffic. If all adverse comments were suppressed, traffic would be much lower. If this site went to a pay to play format, a la the Summitt, then traffic wouldn't be as important because of membership revenue, and content could be more restrictive.

Even better, you could start your own forum and have complete control over what is posted. That way outsiders would be blissfully oblivious of what was said and I'm sure you would be much happier censoring posts you don't like.

True LV fans here do a pretty good job countering criticism, so it's not a one way street. Also, fans are good at posting things to needle opposing fans.

Remember, basketball is only a game, a diversion from the game of life. No worries.

Isn't this pretty much a standard 'I have a right to troll" argument?

I don't know if you post on the BY bit I'm pretty sure the posters wouldn't appreciate it if LV fans came on there and acted the same way as some of the UConn fans do here. I'm also sure their administrators would have zero problem issuing out bans to unruly visitors.

Reactions: 4 people

Maybe you're the one that needs to remember it. I'm not the one trolling.

I don't know if you post on the BY bit I'm pretty sure the posters wouldn't appreciate it if LV fans came on there and acted the same way as some of the UConn fans do here. I'm also sure their administrators would have zero problem issuing out bans to unruly visitors.

That's exactly what it is.

You raise an interesting empirical question. If all Uconn trolls stayed in the vast wasteland of the Boneyard, would there be a substantial fall off in traffic to this site. I propose it is time for an experiment to test this fascinating hypothesis. Such a study requires an extended longitudinal phase to ensure that other factors do not confound the results. So, I propose that all you Boneyard refugees stay off this site for 3 years and the administrators will closely monitor website traffic flows during that time. At the end of the 3 years, check back -- around July 21, 2020--and we will inform you of the results.

And thanks so much for the great suggestion. I believe you have made the most valuable post ever written by a Uconn troll. Best regards, and we will touch base in 3 years. And if you are late in getting back, believe we will all understand]

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 people

No. Everyone is here at the pleasure of the Board's management. No one has any rights.

My point is a financial one. Fewer posters and less traffic equals less revenue. Bouncing members can mean a financial loss. If moderation is too restrictive or too lenient, people start leaving. It's a delicate balance.

Love it! Sometimes there is no place like home! Welcome Home Gordon.

One of my favorite Lady Vols, Long Beach State and Regional game against Auburn.

I'll never forget those games.

In March, she was dismissed from her job by Coach Keitha Adams.

This could have been for a lot of reason, could have been because of a personality conflict.

I believe she let go all of coach jody adams staff, and then hired her own staff, which isn't unusual in coaching changes

Last edited:

VN Store

Back