Bridgette Gordon hired as Assistant Coach

Umm, Izzy, Glory Johnson, Kelley Cain, Nicky Anosike, Candace Parker??

Mercedes Russell ?!? She was an opposing force last year...she had the most double doubles of a junior and set the record.

MTSU... what position do you think she will coach/which coaches do you think will coach which positions with her hire ?

Reactions: 1 person
Mercedes Russell ?!? She was an opposing force last year...she had the most double doubles of a junior and set the record.

MTSU... what position do you think she will coach/which coaches do you think will coach which positions with her hire ?

She is going to be with the wings/guards, along with Holly. Dean works primarily with the posts/forwards, along with Reeves. They all can interchange though.

Reactions: 3 people
We have a thread titled "new assistant coach hire" or something like that where there was hand wringing and frustration that we did not yet have a new assistant. Now we have one,and more handwringing is going on. We wanted an experienced coach--we got one. We wanted a good recruiter-- we got one, who was able to have a top50 class at Wichita State.
On top of this,we got someone who loves Tennessee and the Lady Vols. She is a LVFL and that's a plus for her. As Raider states,we won't know for awhile if she's a home run hire,but she wants to be here,and that's a big plus for her! All the naysayers should wait for results in the program and on the floor before casting aspersions. As for me,I anticipate that she will make a difference in ways that Jolete Law did not,due to the fact that she is well versed in Lady Vol history and tradition. Now,let's give her space to operate. Or maybe she makes her own space. Go Lady Vols!!

Maybe now some people will stop b!tching. We have a LVFL on staff. BG will bring the attitude.

Reactions: 2 people
I'm taking a wait and see approach. I admire Gordon and wish her the best.

However, I was hoping for a younger coach (late 20s - early 30s) who can coach offense and make in-game adjustments. The Gordon hire seems somewhat like a Reaves remix (both known for recruiting and working with forwards).

One thing is for certain: Gordon will teach the Vols what it means to be a Lady Vol and the work ethic necessary to be a champion.

for those of you who are frequently negative and those who are positive - what criteria will you use to determine if you like the hire or in your superior wisdom her addition will improve the overall Tennessee women's basketball program. To write "we'll see!" or "Hmmmmm" or "its no secret" "I seriously doubt" are at best inadequate attempts to convey knowledge.

The average fan will never know if her fire as a player can be transferred as a coach to players. Those of us who were fortunate to watch her throughout her career we know she took the game personally (had no mercy) and lead her team by example. I'm sure they will see film of her games and her banner in the rafters.

Can she relate to today's youth? to bring out that fire?

Will she be a strong influence in recruiting 2017 - I wouldn't expect that at this late date?

Is there a cloud over her based on that which transpired at WState? I'm sure that her involvement was well investigated before she was hired by the LVs. (and I expect that the investigation could be the reason that the hire took so long) Remember the Men's basketball hires have had several missteps in the recent past!)

Value added for being a LV legacy in talking the proud tradition. First two NCAA championships

Experience as an associate coach for many years.

Long association with the Head Coach with lessons learned from (fresh ideas)

Umm, Izzy, Glory Johnson, Kelley Cain, Nicky Anosike, Candace Parker??

I do miss Big Nicky :)

what position did CBG play at UT ?

I hope she will be a great addition to the coaching staff,of course only time will tell

somewhere I read she was one to hold players accountable,which is a sorely needed thing these days

.............Bridgette knows the game. She is relatable, she loves this program, and will sell this program with her whole heart to recruits and parents. She is very much like Coach Reeves in that aspect.

Is this an out of the park hire? It's a wait and see for me.

This is key. Reeves chemistry seems to mesh with CHW. Dean and Holly are obviously good. SO the key to the staff's continuity will be the new hire. If she is a Beta, this staff is truly what CHW has needed.

Holly's job is safe. Probably as good a "within the family" hire as was available.

I can see the attraction of hiring a person who has nostalgia for the program, but this hire is not a game changer. Her forte seems to be more in recruiting than coaching. A puzzling choice.

It doesn't matter what she was doing, it matters what she can do.

We have a thread titled "new assistant coach hire" or something like that where there was hand wringing and frustration that we did not yet have a new assistant. Now we have one,and more handwringing is going on. We wanted an experienced coach--we got one. We wanted a good recruiter-- we got one, who was able to have a top50 class at Wichita State.
On top of this,we got someone who loves Tennessee and the Lady Vols. She is a LVFL and that's a plus for her. As Raider states,we won't know for awhile if she's a home run hire,but she wants to be here,and that's a big plus for her! All the naysayers should wait for results in the program and on the floor before casting aspersions. As for me,I anticipate that she will make a difference in ways that Jolete Law did not,due to the fact that she is well versed in Lady Vol history and tradition. Now,let's give her space to operate. Or maybe she makes her own space. Go Lady Vols!!

Jollette's personality did not belong with CHW's...That is the key.
Will BG's?

I do miss Big Nicky :)

what position did CBG play at UT ?

I hope she will be a great addition to the coaching staff,of course only time will tell

somewhere I read she was one to hold players accountable,which is a sorely needed thing these days

Bridgette Gordon was a 6'0" forward who was probably under appreciated for her rebounding. Amassing over 2,000 points (second to Chamique), she also snagged over 900 rebounds during her career.

She played with the same type of relentless, fiery resolve and competitiveness that Catchings did.

If Gordon and Catchings were going head-to-head, there would be blood.

Last edited:
Holly's job is safe. Probably as good a "within the family" hire as was available.

I can see the attraction of hiring a person who has nostalgia for the program, but this hire is not a game changer. Her forte seems to be more in recruiting than coaching. A puzzling choice.

No one, not even Holly's job is safe. I believe that her job safety will depend upon how well she does this upcoming year. If she and the program implodes, does she really deserve job safety? She needs to reverse the downward spiral that the program is headed in.

I think this is a great hire. She is in the wcbb hall of fame, 2 time national champ and has won gold at the olympics..for an assistant coach, im not so sure who tennessee could have hired with as many or more accolades. Cant wait for the season to start!!

Reactions: 7 people
No one, not even Holly's job is safe. I believe that her job safety will depend upon how well she does this upcoming year. If she and the program implodes, does she really deserve job safety? She needs to reverse the downward spiral that the program is headed in.

With the amount of talent on this team, even with diamond, middleton, and cooper gone, there shouldnt be more losses to unranked teams. I mean i can see maybe a team from the SEC pulling one on them, kinda like what georgia did with South Carolina, but if they have multiple losses once again to unranked teams, holly's seat could get quite warm. As far as the ranked teams go, i think the play of the freshman will be very important..

Bridgette Gordon was a 6'0" forward who was probably under appreciated for her rebounding. Amassing over 2,000 points (second to Chamique), she also snagged over 900 rebounds during her career.

She played with the same type of relentless, fiery resolve and competitiveness that Catchings did.

If Gordon and Catchings were going head-to-head, there would be blood.

and red coach jumper ? come on at least use Orange :eek:lol:

I think this is a great hire. She is in the wcbb hall of fame, 2 time national champ and has won gold at the olympics..for an assistant coach, im not so sure who tennessee could have hired with as many or more accolades. Cant wait for the season to start!!
She might be good, but in my opinion, people with great personal skill and accomplishment often don't have the ability to transfer their skills to others. Their success usually comes easy to them and they can't understand why others can't do the same thing. Whereas the failures are more intent on seeing what needs to be done to be a better player, and are empathetic toward those who are struggling.

Players today need to be taught how to dribble the ball, not make behind the back no look passes.

Certainly, there are great players who became great coaches, but that's not universally true. I'll bet non players or mediocre players on average, make better coaches than skilled athletes. First, their interest is in coaching, not playing. Look at Scott Rueck, Billy Beane of Moneyball fame, even Geno. None were great athletes.

I guess what I'm saying is great athletes have a leg up when it comes to getting coaching jobs. But their skill is not what makes a great coach.

Gordon could turn out to be good for the program. But, I don't see much to indicate she will succeed. The last thing the LVs needed was to hire the Head Coaches friend as assistant. That's what PaT did in recommending Holly.

I would have gone with a young, smart, person who is a student of coaching, an offense wiz kid, a disciplinarian. What Holly hired is more of the same, a member of a failing club. But that's apparently ok, she's a LVFL.

you mean like CPS Besti ?

yea I went there :)

I guess CBG has a good resume ? I do hope she is the missing part of the puzzle and lights a fire under the mighty Lady Vols of Tennessee

as all ways Go Lady Vols :clapping:

She might be good, but in my opinion, people with great personal skill and accomplishment often don't have the ability to transfer their skills to others. Their success usually comes easy to them and they can't understand why others can't do the same thing. Whereas the failures are more intent on seeing what needs to be done to be a better player, and are empathetic toward those who are struggling.

Players today need to be taught how to dribble the ball, not make behind the back no look passes.

Certainly, there are great players who became great coaches, but that's not universally true. I'll bet non players or mediocre players on average, make better coaches than skilled athletes. First, their interest is in coaching, not playing. Look at Scott Rueck, Billy Beane of Moneyball fame, even Geno. None were great athletes.

I guess what I'm saying is great athletes have a leg up when it comes to getting coaching jobs. But their skill is not what makes a great coach.

Gordon could turn out to be good for the program. But, I don't see much to indicate she will succeed. The last thing the LVs needed was to hire the Head Coaches friend as assistant. That's what PaT did in recommending Holly.

I would have gone with a young, smart, person who is a student of coaching, an offense wiz kid, a disciplinarian. What Holly hired is more of the same, a member of a failing club. But that's apparently ok, she's a LVFL.

Well CHW will have to live/die by her decisions so I guess we are glad you aren't her. Honestly I have been able to stomach most of posts. Whether she is young or not how do you know she isn't a student of coaching, hasn't been around good coaches, or a disciplinarian? Sounds like your just spouting off on something you know nothing about. Whether it works out or not we won't know til it happens so why don't you just sit back and watch what happens.

Reactions: 8 people
She might be good, but in my opinion, people with great personal skill and accomplishment often don't have the ability to transfer their skills to others.

I get where you're coming from at the top, but you're sounding kind of pessimistic towards the end lol. You say you would've gone with someone 'young, smart, person who is a student of coaching, an offense wiz kid, a disciplinarian.' But other than young, who's to say Coach Gordon isn't smart, a person who is a student of coaching, an offensive wiz or a disciplinarian? She's been a student of the game for many years, she's a good recruiter and I feel she will be the disciplinarian this team has lacked. Im not gonna claim that she is the answer just because of her accolades, but I'm optimistic that she will help the Lady Vols succeed and return to the top where we belong.

Well CHW will have to live/die by her decisions so I guess we are glad you aren't her. Honestly I have been able to stomach most of posts. Whether she is young or not how do you know she isn't a student of coaching, hasn't been around good coaches, or a disciplinarian? Sounds like your just spouting off on something you know nothing about. Whether it works out or not we won't know til it happens so why don't you just sit back and watch what happens.

Lol. Looks like you beat me too it. :loco::whistling:

I don't think that Gordon will bring an arsenal of schemes and systems and no "tricks up her sleeve". Although she can be intense, I don't see her necessarily as a disciplinarian. After all she assisted someone smaller and younger than herself at Wichita St.

I think what Gordon can bring is knowledge of the game and a voice from the past which can inspire a better work ethic, better team chemistry, and a better sense of pride in this program. I think those elements can be vital additions to this team. Will that be enough to bring back supremacy? No. IMO the head coach must get better at the schemes, gain better control of the team, and lose some sentimentality over small victories. Both have to avoid becoming entranced in the mystique of Lady Vol lore and think memories and past glories are going to come in and shape this team and mold these players.

VN Store

Back