Breaking News: U.S. & Canada Reach Trade Agreement

What do you mean there hasn't been disruption to the market? We've been paying extra $ for lumber for like 18 months now, for starters.
All building materials are priced higher in my area because of the insane demand. Not just lumber.

If Trump is such a genius businessman, why are we changing from an easy-to-remember and catchy acronym NAFTA to a clunky and forgettable initialism USMCA. That's marketing 101, bro.
I'm surprised he didn't put his name on it.

All building materials are priced higher in my area because of the insane demand. Not just lumber.

That happens when people build and when hurricanes and tornados go through .

Honestly can't believe he's getting Canada to move on dairy. That's pretty huge.

My guess is it had something to do with that Ace up his sleeve , 25% on every auto built outside of the US . Canada couldn’t survive that if the big three move back across the line to Detroit .

If Trump is such a genius businessman, why are we changing from an easy-to-remember and catchy acronym NAFTA to a clunky and forgettable initialism USMCA. That's marketing 101, bro.

65lI.gif

What do you mean there hasn't been disruption to the market? We've been paying extra $ for lumber for like 18 months now, for starters.

how much more? what's the total market disruption? An ROI on the new deal covering the market disruption might be a year or two but presuming the benefits last as long as NAFTA was in place it's a small price to pay.

There are ways to analyze the impact but vague statements like it may not be worth the market disruption (I won't even bother the "fuss" statement) just don't get us anywhere.

What's new in the US, Canada and Mexico trade deal? - CNN Politics

First one that came up on my news feeds .
The link broke

how much more? what's the total market disruption? An ROI on the new deal covering the market disruption might be a year or two but presuming the benefits last as long as NAFTA was in place it's a small price to pay.

There are ways to analyze the impact but vague statements like it may not be worth the market disruption (I won't even bother the "fuss" statement) just don't get us anywhere.

Now that we're quibbling about how much of an impact the lumber-tariff aspect of NAFTA negotiations disrupted the economy, we've established there has been market disruption, and that was my point.

We don't know how much.

What benefits to USMCA do you speak of?

This, my friends, is called preframing.

Why do you say that?

My guess is that a lot of Republicans, even in Congress, have had the same thought today.

Why talk about means to bypass Congress if you don't already have reason to worry about that?

Why do you say that?

My guess is that a lot of Republicans, even in Congress, have had the same thought today.

Why talk about means to bypass Congress if you don't already have reason to worry about that?
Because i know your style. Also, because i believe 99% of politicians are corrupt and self serving.

Because i know your style. Also, because i believe 99% of politicians are corrupt and self serving.

Of course they are, but Trump and his supporters are constantly selling us on the notion that everything Trump does is for the benefit of the nation's economy, on the whole, not to benefit he or any benefactors. Drain the swamp, and all that.

Of course they are, but Trump and his supporters are constantly selling us on the notion that everything Trump does is for the benefit of the nation's economy, on the whole, not to benefit he or any benefactors. Drain the swamp, and all that.
And?
Do Dem supporters act any differently? Of course not.

You and "trump supporters" are the same side of a dysfunctional coin.

Reactions: Vol_Doc and hog88
And?
Do Dem supporters act any differently? Of course not.

You and "trump supporters" are the same side of a dysfunctional coin.

I agree that both sides do it. Its a byproduct of being in power -- to pay off the people that got you there.

The difference is that Trump ran on a platform of being an outsider, of not owing people. Head down, do what is best for the country, not himself or friends.

I sincerely hope that is the case with these deals. That it is not to help out individuals or groups of individuals within the US, especially if it is at the exepnse of others.

I agree that both sides do it. Its a byproduct of being in power -- to pay off the people that got you there.

The difference is that Trump ran on a platform of being an outsider, of not owing people. Head down, do what is best for the country, not himself or friends.

I sincerely hope that is the case with these deals. That it is not to help out individuals or groups of individuals within the US, especially if it is at the exepnse of others.
Sorry. I dont believe for a moment you are this naive or hopeful Trump did something "good". Your claws will come out when Trump's spoils are exactly like every other politician's...including Democrats.

Sorry. I dont believe for a moment you are this naive or hopeful Trump did something "good". Your claws will come out when Trump's spoils are exactly like every other politician's...including Democrats.

If it turns out to be personally beneficial to him or to his benefactors, what will be your response in light of his oft-repeated drain the swamp campaign platform?

Don't know whether this is a good or bad deal for the US, will wait to see the details.

I do worry that Trump is hiding behind his broad mantras of claiming past deals were bad to help out friends or benefactors of his through this new deal. Or that he will personally be enriched.

I am more concerned than I otherwise would be when he is already talking about going around Congress to approve it, if need be. That makes me wonder if there isn't some component to it which is going to be a problem.

But let's wait and see the details. Hopefully its all for the good of the economy and doesn't play favorites for Trump.
with how hard Congress is partisaning over a Supreme Court Justice (what SHOULD be the most un-partisan thing in DC) I would imagine Congress will buck even if it is as bigly for the economy as Trump thinks it is.

One of my aluminum suppliers stopped in today and took me to lunch. He had a corporate guy with him. We discussed the tariffs and how they were affecting the industry. I mentioned that the one Canadian supplier had remained competitive and he informed me that the tariffs on Aluminum were only on the Asians markets. Oddly enough he was in favor of the tariffs. Mentioned that the US has been getting screwed for a long time. Said it might hurt up front but would be beneficial in the long run. He added that an old smelting plant in OH was reopening as a direct result of the tariffs. Said it was creating 150 new jobs. Hasn't been operating in 20 or 30 years. Just thought I'd share.

In the past two years we have run out of concrete (fricking concrete) and fiber cement panels, as far as materials. Like you couldn't order it, there was none, none. We've also run out of laborers here in the ATL. most big contractors are saying they would take on more work but they can't find the guys to hammer and cut, plenty of experience supers and the like, just no laborers. Had developers back out projects for the same reason, high costs from demand, and worry from the crash on over extending.

demand is stupid high right now. had a couple mnfrs tell us they have filled more orders in a month than they did during the recession.

One of my aluminum suppliers stopped in today and took me to lunch. He had a corporate guy with him. We discussed the tariffs and how they were affecting the industry. I mentioned that the one Canadian supplier had remained competitive and he informed me that the tariffs on Aluminum were only on the Asians markets. Oddly enough he was in favor of the tariffs. Mentioned that the US has been getting screwed for a long time. Said it might hurt up front but would be beneficial in the long run. He added that an old smelting plant in OH was reopening as a direct result of the tariffs. Said it was creating 150 new jobs. Hasn't been operating in 20 or 30 years. Just thought I'd share.

Impossible! Huff said they could only do damage!

In the past two years we have run out of concrete (fricking concrete) and fiber cement panels, as far as materials. Like you couldn't order it, there was none, none. We've also run out of laborers here in the ATL. most big contractors are saying they would take on more work but they can't find the guys to hammer and cut, plenty of experience supers and the like, just no laborers. Had developers back out projects for the same reason, high costs from demand, and worry from the crash on over extending.

demand is stupid high right now. had a couple mnfrs tell us they have filled more orders in a month than they did during the recession.

We are about to see inflation numbers jump as a result of the boom. Wages along with materials are going up due to demand.

Reactions: McDad

VN Store

Back