Breaking News: U.S. & Canada Reach Trade Agreement

One of my aluminum suppliers stopped in today and took me to lunch. He had a corporate guy with him. We discussed the tariffs and how they were affecting the industry. I mentioned that the one Canadian supplier had remained competitive and he informed me that the tariffs on Aluminum were only on the Asians markets. Oddly enough he was in favor of the tariffs. Mentioned that the US has been getting screwed for a long time. Said it might hurt up front but would be beneficial in the long run. He added that an old smelting plant in OH was reopening as a direct result of the tariffs. Said it was creating 150 new jobs. Hasn't been operating in 20 or 30 years. Just thought I'd share.
In before Huff yells "anecdotal."

If it turns out to be personally beneficial to him or to his benefactors, what will be your response in light of his oft-repeated drain the swamp campaign platform?
What it was after no repeal of ACA.

"Pffft. Yeah right, you bloviating bag of barf. (Towards trump. Not you). Looks like the swamp wasnt as drain ready as you thought."

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
One of my aluminum suppliers stopped in today and took me to lunch. He had a corporate guy with him. We discussed the tariffs and how they were affecting the industry. I mentioned that the one Canadian supplier had remained competitive and he informed me that the tariffs on Aluminum were only on the Asians markets. Oddly enough he was in favor of the tariffs. Mentioned that the US has been getting screwed for a long time. Said it might hurt up front but would be beneficial in the long run. He added that an old smelting plant in OH was reopening as a direct result of the tariffs. Said it was creating 150 new jobs. Hasn't been operating in 20 or 30 years. Just thought I'd share.
We have a smelter close to where i live. In mt pleasant, tn.
Ive never seen the plant busier.

Reactions: InVOLuntary
Not a bad analogy.

I wish we could ask the Democrats that invented it and championed liberalism why he thought a program that would make people dependent on the government instead of the churches , communities , families and friends and themselves , was such a good damn deal , but we can’t .

I wish we could ask the Democrats that invented it and championed liberalism why he thought a program that would make people dependent on the government instead of the churches , communities , families and friends and themselves , was such a good damn deal , but we can’t .
Wasn't designed that way. Was perverted. Was intended to be a leg up, when one fell on hard times, with the goal of getting back on one's feet and off the government dime.

Reactions: zeppelin128
Wasn't designed that way. Was perverted. Was intended to be a leg up, when one fell on hard times, with the goal of getting back on one's feet and off the government dime.

Anything given for free on a regular bases makes people dependent . Doesn’t matter what the good or service . Even work ( overtime hours ) . That’s why Government sucks at running things , they were never designed to run anything efficiently but we keep screaming for more government run programs and swearing ...this time , this time will be the time they get it right and we become the government run utopia of our dreams . SMH

Anything given for free on a regular bases makes people dependent . Doesn’t matter what the good or service . Even work ( overtime hours ) . That’s why Government sucks at running things , they were never designed to run anything efficiently but we keep screaming for more government run programs and swearing ...this time , this time will be the time they get it right and we become the government run utopia of our dreams . SMH
Exactly.

It all but destroyed my families business so It wasn’t good for “Us”.

I'm sorry for you troubles, but politics shouldn't be about what's best for you, it should be about what's best for everyone. Or said another way, politics are always so ****ed up because it's a spoils system. @Big Gucci Sosa has a family business going down because of the steel and aluminum tariffs against China, so that puts you at an impasse with him. How do we decide when protectionism favors you over him? That's why it's gotta be about what's best for everyone?

I'm sorry for you troubles, but politics shouldn't be about what's best for you, it should be about what's best for everyone. Or said another way, politics are always so ****ed up because it's a spoils system. @Big Gucci Sosa has a family business going down because of the steel and aluminum tariffs against China, so that puts you at an impasse with him. How do we decide when protectionism favors you over him? That's why it's gotta be about what's best for everyone?

Whats best for everyone (the US) is when the US wins and the rest of the world loses. I don't don't give a crap about China, Russia or Great Britain. I care about the USA and only the USA, screw the rest of the world.

They basically agreed to continue all the major parts of the agreement without using the words “NAFTA” or “free trade”. Nothing major changed.

We have talked about this on here before. It is just a re-branding of basically the same deal so Trump can claim some sort of political victory to his base who won't take the time to see what is actually in the deal. That is what matters to him (boasting of victory) - not the actual substance.

We have talked about this on here before. It is just a re-branding of basically the same deal so Trump can claim some sort of political victory to his base who won't take the time to see what is actually in the deal. That is what matters to him (boasting of victory) - not the actual substance.

You guys like that word “ Basically “ don’t you ?

Whats best for everyone (the US) is when the US wins and the rest of the world loses. I don't don't give a crap about China, Russia or Great Britain. I care about the USA and only the USA, screw the rest of the world.

You couldn't be more wrong there. It's not a zero sum game.

VN Store

Back