Best high school player/team/game you've ever seen...

Best I ever played against was Eric Westmoreland at Marion County in the mid 90's they were really good, he was a great RB for them. He was pretty darn good LB for us too.

I watched Ugo Amadi go for almost 500 total yards last year on Fr Ryan and that was impressive.

Eric Westmoreland at Marion, Gerald Riggs from Red Bank, Patrick Turner from Goodpasture, Sam Pickett and Eddie Moore from S.Pitt

Eric Westmoreland at Marion, Gerald Riggs from Red Bank, Patrick Turner from Goodpasture, Sam Pickett and Eddie Moore from S.Pitt

I wish Sam Pickett would have done something else instead of what actually happened. This kid was an amazing ball player. Would have been a nice rb or slot wr. Speed was amazing!!!

I believe it was 1990 or 91, Knox Central and Oak Ridge.
Todd Helton, Kippy Bayless, Durago Lewis for Central among others.
Shawn Summers, and others, can't think of names right now.
I think there were 2 from Central and 3 from Oak Ridge that signed with UT.
That's not counting the other players that went on to play elsewhere.
I wish Kippy Bayless would have went to UT, he was 2 time OVC player of the year but supposedly to slow to play in the SEC.

Anyway that was one of the best games I've ever seen. Oak Ridge won 42 to 41 in 3 OT's, Central missed the extra point to send it to another OT.
OR went on to win the State the next week 35 to 0...

When I was in high school we played Jackson Central Merry in 94, they had a player named Al Wilson and my gosh was he awesome to watch...BTW we got spanked

Yep. I saw Al play a few times at JCM (I played football for Jackson High before it consolidated with Merry High to become JCM). He played on the offensive side of the ball as well, mainly at RB, but if I remember correctly he also played QB one season as well, but he rushed for over 1000 yds in 3 different seasons. But you always knew he was destined for the defensive side of the ball. He was a natural headhunter.

I was talking to a friend of mine today and he reminded me of our high school days. One thing that I remember so vividly was a football game I saw in 1992 between the Bettendorf (Iowa) Bulldogs and the Iowa City (Iowa) Little Hawks. Tavian Banks was the all everything running back/kick & punt returner for Bettendorf and Tim Dwight played the same role for Iowa City, both went on to be standouts at Iowa and have NFL careers. Bettendorf won 31-28 behind Banks' 245 rushing yards and 3 touchdowns while Dwight scored all four touchdowns for Iowa City. It was the most amazing heavyweight type fight I've ever seen.

Which brings me to my question. What's the most impressive game, single player or team you've ever witnessed?

Center Scott Wells at Brentwood Academy, played on the Hill, got a Super Bowl ring starting for the Green Bay Packers.

Played with Chris White and Dale Jones at Bradley in the early 80s....But--the best pure football player back then was neither of them....it was a guy named Wes Rakestraw....

Saw Tommy Taylor from Chattanooga City...who went to play at UCLA...and Jeff Womac from Warren County...

Best HS game I ever saw was Bradley's 3 OT State Championship over Jackson Central Merry way back in 1976....

Al Bundy, 4 touchdowns in a single game to lead Polk High to the city championship. 1966, I believe it was. Hell of a fullback.

Reactions: 1 person
Knox Central vs. Morristown West back in the early 1990s. Todd Helton was QB for Central, and Little Man Stewart was RB for West. It went back-and-forth until the 4th quarter, when Central finally pulled away, 50-26.

I was there also, it was a good game.
Central also had Kippy Bayless, one heck of a running back. :hi:

Took my little league team to a local high school team 2 seasons back. It was either Cartersville, or Cedartown that Nick Chubb was playing on his senior year. All I was thinking, is, I wish he was going to UT.

Saw Heath Shuler, Shawn Bryson, and Carl Pickens in HS. All were great.

A guy a little older than Pickens from the same HS may have been better than any of them- Tony Colbert. He wasn't a good student though and took an opportunity with the Cubs in the minor leagues. He washed out and moved back to Murphy.

Best players, Deangelo Williams and Cortez Kennedy. Best team would be Gus Malzahn's Springdale Arkansas team that had about 8 d1 players.

VN Store

Back