Best high school player/team/game you've ever seen...

In 1990, mike archie played against a pretty good Johnstown Bishop McDevitt team. Not legendary, but a pretty competitive squad. 12 carries, 320+ yards, 7TDs. Run out of bounds 3 times. So at the end of the day, they could only bring him to the ground twice.

Played against Lakeland hs in Florida in 07 they had 10 guys sign D1 pouncey twins chris Rainey Ahmad black John brown

Albert Davis - Alcoa 1966

Crazy how people will say other names before him..he still has records that aren't broken my grandad saw him play..he went to hall high school and said when Davis was in eighth grade he was already a man amongst boys

Drew Weatherford played at land o lakes hs and started at FSU over Xavier Lee who was supposed to be the best QB in the country coming out of hs but Drew was just smooth back there and watched him lead his team on many 4th quarter comebacks and many blowouts

Best player- John Henderson & Jermaine Copeland
Best game- State Semi. Stafford Nashville vs. Lincoln County.
Best I game against- Goode brother / Alabama - Kerry Chris & Pierre.

Chad Clifton and Justin Harrell had better careers but George Kidd was the most dominant HS player I remember watching. RB in HS converted to LB at UT.

John Henderson's high school stats while routinely double and triple teamed were:
As a senior, he was in on 150 tackles with 32 sacks and caught 45 passes for 560 yards and 11 touchdowns at tight end ... All-State as a junior, he had 145 tackles, including 15 sacks and 11 for lost yardage, while coming up with 37 catches for 470 yards and nine touchdowns at tight end (from UTsports)

Reactions: 2 people
Gordon Bell - RB - Troy (OH) H.S. in the early 1970's. Dude was unstoppable. Went on to play at U. of Michigan.

Troy H.S. was a powerhouse back then.

If someone from Troy fumbled in a game, they were required to carry a football everywhere they went for the next week. If they were seen without the football, whether at school or not, there was extra "work" to do at practice for that person. I'm sure in today's world that would not work as the coaches would be targeted as being bullies.

My freshman year we played against Eddie Moore. At the jamboree he won the longest throw, longest punt, and was the fastest player there. He ran all over us later in year when we played them too and you knew he was getting the ball it just didn't matter. He was pretty good at UT too. The hit he put on that Florida kid after Rex Grossman under handed the ball to the wr is one of my favorite plays of all time.

#33. James K. Polk High standout, Al Bundy. Scored 4 TDs in one game against Andrew Johnson High at the high school city championship in 1966. I wasn't there but I heard about it.

Reactions: 4 people
Best game I ever saw was 1991 4th round playoff game. Shaun Summers and Oak Ridge vs Todd Helton and Central. 42-41 Oak Ridge win on a blocked PAT in overtime. Summers is still to this day the best high school football player I've ever seen.

My dad officiated football and basketball games in West Tennessee when Ed "Too Tall" Jones played at Jackson Central-Merry and football games when Johnnie Jones played at Munford. He thought those were two of the best he had seen. The best player I've ever seen was Travis Stephens from Clarksville Northeast when he ran for 350 yards against my Henry County Patriots.

Crazy how people will say other names before him..he still has records that aren't broken my grandad saw him play..he went to hall high school and said when Davis was in eighth grade he was already a man amongst boys

Broke plenty of bones as well.

Just read the story of Albert Davis and watched his HS highlights...man that guy ran with grace...

He would've been the 1st black player to wear a Tennessee football uniform if he hadn't been denied admission (someone claimed he let someone else take the test for him).

Here is with Doug Dickey (presumably when he signed his LOI) before his scholarship was pulled;

Davis1.jpg

I've seen a lot of really good teams in GA. The most dominant was Washington County that have Terrence Edwards and Takeo Spikes. They just crushed people.

This is me growing up in FL, the Muck to be exact. I've seen Anquan Boldin (Pahokee), Edgerrin James Immokalee), Javarris James (EJ's younger cousin, Immokalee), Reidel Anthony and Fred Taylor (too young to know who they were until they hit college, Glades Central), Antone Smith (Pahokee), Eric Green (Clewiston, my hometown) played at VT and for the AZ Cardinals, Anthony Midget (Clewiston) played at VT and current DB coach for the Texans.

I was beyond spoiled as a child when it came to HS football. Any game between Clewiston, Glades Central or Pahokee was going to be a track meet with D-1 talent on both sidelines and both sides of the ball.

#33. James K. Polk High standout, Al Bundy. Scored 4 TDs in one game against Andrew Johnson High at the high school city championship in 1966. I wasn't there but I heard about it.

I wasn't there either, but people who were will swear up and down that on the fourth touchdown, Bundy was actually stuffed at the goal line by "Spare Tire" Dixon, who was the spitting image of Bubba Smith.

Chad Clifton and Justin Harrell had better careers but George Kidd was the most dominant HS player I remember watching. RB in HS converted to LB at UT.

I played on the same team with George. He was definitely dominant and fun to watch especially from the sidelines where I spent most of my time.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back