Best high school player/team/game you've ever seen...

Central and Oak Ridge in the 1991 state semi finals. Central had Todd Helton and Oak Ridge had Shawn Summers and Richard Howard. It went back and forth the entire game. Oak Ridge won in overtime as they blocked Centrals game tying extra point attempt. Oak Ridge beat down someone the following week to win the state championship. Central and Oak Ridge where clearly the 2 best teams in the state that year.

Reactions: 3 people
Watched Southwest Dekalb 1995 state championship run. The QB was Quincy Carter and they lost one game. To Douglas High and a running back named Jamal Lewis.

Wish I could have seen the matchup between Creekside and Westlake High. The QB's were Eric Berry and Cam Newton

I saw the Valdosta-SW DeKalb game in the dome in what I am thinking was 94. That is probably the best game I ever saw.

If you are from GA and love HS football this site is awesome.
Georgia High School Football Historians Association. Recording the History of Georgia Football. GHSFHA.com

Reactions: 1 person
The only dominant HS player I've seen in person was Gerald Riggs Jr. at Red Bank back in 2000-2002. At the time, he was probably the best football player to come out of East TN since Reggie White and seemed like a lock to be a stud at UT and in the NFL. He was so dominant that everyone in East TN knew his name, regardless of where they went to school or even if they followed high school football.

Randall Cobb at Alcoa. He was a man among boys. Pretty sure thy scored 100 or very close his senior year in the playoffs.

I wrestled 189 in high school, which back then was the last weight before heavyweight. We were at McMinn County and I had a forfeit, so I just had to go out to the mat to get my hand raised. When I got there, their heavyweight, Shazzan Bradley, ran out and shook my hand and was ready to go . . .

I let the referee know the deal, and after I was walking off the mat I passed our heavyweight coming on and with a grin uttered "He's all yours, buddy."

Reactions: 2 people
Haha my Oakland team full of nobodys went to Jefferson County and beat the number one team in the nation.

Corey Fleming at Stratford with Joe Campbell was the toughest duo we faced.

Dwayne Dotson (Hendersonville) was probably the best player I remember playing against.

JJ was fun to watch for 2 years.

I'm telling y'all right now, Jacoby Stevens is one if the best HS players I've ever seen.

Unfortunately I agree

Albert Davis is the best player I have ever seen in HS from Alcoa.
Central vs Oak Ridge with Todd Helton at QB in the playoffs in the 90s was the best HS game I ever saw.

I watched Jalen Hurd (Beech High School) vs Jalen Reeves-Maybin (Clarksville Northeast) go back and forth all night long in a state playoff game, that was a classic in 12. Hurd may be the most dominate player Ive seen in HS since I saw Reggie White, (79) ..

In the 2012 TSSAA Class 5A Championship game, Jalen also ran for the most rushing yards in a state final (394) and touchdowns in a state final (7) to cap off a junior season in which he set a new single-season rushing yards (3,357) record. Rather impressive. See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2Z2Gd3ZL90.

Last edited:
I was at the Tennessee High 1972 game against Unicoi County when the beat us something like 17-6. We had Steve Scott of Wayne Scott Farms family who went on to play for Virginia Tech. What I want to know is what happen to Bristol's running back Skeeter Heath. I can't remember where he went to school. He was a beast! Also our Unicoi County produced Clark Duncan who was a vol. he had an interception in the Notre Dame game when we routed the Irish in the late 70's. Go Big O!!

Boobie Miles used to get drunk and throw the football around with us at the park, in fact I distinctly recall playing flag football with Boobie on Juneteenth when I was a kid. That counts right?

Chad Jackson the 5 star WR from Hoover. He was the best player. Only WR that got loose on us all year(we played Jayson Swain too). Dude was a playmaker period with the ball and clutch.

Guy named Titus Ryan(played CFL and returned a kick or two for Dallas). He was the best athlete I've seen on the HS level. Was a true 4.2 athlete. We punted to him and kicked the ball opposite our coverage. He literally cruised 70 yards running it back.

Donte Stallworth and Onterrio Smith for Grant HS Sacramento in 98-99. Incredible duo and surprising post BCS 'ship connection to the Vols. One balled out, and one that should have set records for us.

Also, went to the game they played against Lance Briggs of Elk Grove that year. Dominant HS linebacker

Used to live in New Orleans. Watched a tall kid play QB for Isadore Newman HS. His older brother was a wide receiver, and they were like mental telepathy out there, breaking off routes, changing plays at the line. Heard their coach at practice just turn his back after a play and mutter to a Times-Picayune reporter, "I have no idea what that play was when it left the huddle."

What was that kid's name...?

Reactions: 2 people
From the Basketball side those Memphis Melrose teams during the 70's were outstanding.

My freshman year at alcoa jaron toney ran for a state-record 50 touchdowns with 2,358 yards..7 peat champions 😉

I was at the Tennessee High 1972 game against Unicoi County when the beat us something like 17-6. We had Steve Scott of Wayne Scott Farms family who went on to play for Virginia Tech. What I want to know is what happen to Bristol's running back Skeeter Heath. I can't remember where he went to school. He was a beast! Also our Unicoi County produced Clark Duncan who was a vol. he had an interception in the Notre Dame game when we routed the Irish in the late 70's. Go Big O!!

George Heath went to Virginia Tech as well.

Best running back I ever saw in person was Patrick Willis at Central high school in Bruceton, TN (a tiny town in west TN). Yes running back. He was a man among boys. All eleven defenders knew he was getting the ball. As soon as the ball was snapped it looked as if both teams were huddled together. Patrick would proceed up the middle straight through the other team.

1991 state semifinals Oak Ridge Wildcats vs Knoxville Central and Todd Helton! Helluva game! Oak Ridge won 42-41 or something like that!

VN Store

Back