Best high school player/team/game you've ever seen...

Brandon Warren at the 2005 Alcoa team. So much talent on that team. They beat a team 96-7 that year. Warren was a force at defensive end my high school team dropped back to pass 11 times and was sacked 6 of them by either Warren or Ray Sykes who had had a offer from the Vols. If we didn't get sacked it was picked off by Kyrus lanxter who played at Ketuckey or by a young Randall Cobb. The qb on that team went and played at Utc along with the mlb. The running back had offers from the vols and few others but didn't have the grades. Had a corner back who was committed to Tennessee but got busted for drugs. They were crazy talented the beat a team in the state championship by 49 points.

Reactions: 2 people
Last night my high school, Wilson Central, played Franklin in the 2nd round of the playoffs. We played Franklin earlier in the season and the put a smack down on us. We came into the game all fired up. We went up 21-0 to start the 4th quarter. They rallied back and scored the tying touchdown with 0:27 left. They went for the two point conversion and we intercepted it to end the game.

I never watched a lot of HS but Jay Graham played at my school and he was a grown as man as a jr. His track speed made the defenders of other teams look like they were playing in quick sand. He wasn't afraid to crush them either. It was like watching a video game.

Haven't watched many high school football games.

Best guy I ever played with or against was Dan Moore. We played together at O'Fallon, IL and he was an absolute beast. Played MLB/FB in high school, went to JUCO, then eventually winded up being a starting DT at Wisconsin.

There was a player(RB/LB) that went to my alma mater(East Ridge, Tn) and broke the state record for most rushing yards in a season. He played a few years before ne when Reggie, the RB from Redbank that ycommitted to Tennessee. When East Ridge and Redbank played that by year, they completely destroyed the turf. lol East ridge kame out on top buy both players shower what they by an do. The east ridge RB eventually committed to Arizona state for a short time.

My high school won 15 straight state championships and was regularly ranked in the top 20. Best player I saw was when De La Salle came to town and Maurice Jones Drew ran all over us.

There's one game that I remember watching when MYVLT game of the week was first getting started on Friday nights, with Todd Kelly and Packer calling the games. I want to say it was the 06 or 07, game between Catholic @ Fulton, watching Harrison Smith and Dennis Rogan exchanging blows for their teams in a back and forth battle all night. Them two single handily kept their teams in the game. If I remember right, the Falcons ended up with the W.

John Henderson at Pearl Cohn was unstoppable and the best I ever saw in high school.
Eric Westmoreland destroys my alma mater, Portland, in the clinic bowl
Then Cedric Wilson was a one man wrecking crew against them.

Scotty Whitt from Clinton in the early 90s. It seemed like he scored every time he touched the ball.

I played for Sullivan North and in my frosh year I got to play in the summer scrimmage against Betsy and a big SR monster named Jason Witten hammered me on a play, knocking my helmet off! When I came to, my coach was holding Witten by the face mask going crazy on him cause I was a frosh and half his size. I loved it, it's part of the game and Mr. Witten is one of my all time favorites!

GO VOLS!!!!!!!

I played against Peter Warrick at Bradenton Southeast. He returned 3 kicks for touchdowns.

I also got Alex Rodriguez to ground out to my shortstop when we played Miami Westminster Christian at the Sarasota Classic. Baseball I know.

Saw Paul poslyszny in pa state title game. Played against lorenzo styles of ohio state/falcons/rams. Marlin Jackson graduated from my high school...he intercepted Brady to get colts in the super bowl. Played with his brother who was actually better but couldn't stay out of trouble. My sister graduated with Mike archie...Penn state/oilers.

Also lavarr Arrington and Brandon short played hoops together at the hoyle tournament at my high school.

And forgot about shady mccoy. When i lived in Harrisburg, i worked part time at YMCA. He was a member. Tried to get him to go to vols once he got hurt. Mommy wanted him in state. He was a beast at bishop mcdevitt. Saw him a few times.

I'Tavius Mathers was a beast saw him score 4 times and get over 200 yds and sat the entire second half.

Mid 1960's I was lucky to watch a speedy tail back in historic Cramton Bowl. He played for the Sidney Lanier Poets. He later became a world class track star and an All-American at the the University of Tennessee. His name was Richmond Flowers, Jr. Also, watched Stan Trott, as in the Scott-to-Trott fame, and Terry Beasley at Robert E. Lee who later was Pat Sullivan's star receiver at Auburn.

Reactions: 2 people
I watched Jalen Hurd (Beech High School) vs Jalen Reeves-Maybin (Clarksville Northeast) go back and forth all night long in a state playoff game, that was a classic in 12. Hurd may be the most dominate player Ive seen in HS since I saw Reggie White, (79) ..

This was the game I was going post. JRM had about 400 yards of offense that game, and They put Hurd back in at safety and he tackled JRM on the 2 pt conversion to tie or win(can't remember) with seconds left in the game...

Last edited:
1972 National Champions, Bristol Tennessee High School. Back to back State Champions 1971 and 1972

Ditto - they won the Title game 39-6 in '71 and 52-0 in '72 if I remember correctly, with exceptional athletes all over the place. David Bibee at QB (played at UT), Gil Kyle at TB, George Heath at FB, Greg Jones at TE and LB (really good LB at UT), excellent place kicker, many others. Greg Jones made the prettiest tackle you will ever see against Virginia High, believe the RB was Cato Lee - and a photographer caught it absolutely perfectly. John Cropp was the HC, Tommy Hundley was the OC and we ran the veer. It was a real aligning of the stars, once in a lifetime collection of great players and coaches. Coaches all left for college gigs - hard times ensued.

VN Store

Back