Austin Nichols to leave memphis

Memphis would have lost in a court case. They clearly stated the reason they were blocking him and the reason was invalid. They wouldn't have had a leg to stand on due to their own mistake. Basic law 101. THATS how it works!

Unfortunately, the NCAA isn't a legal system or court. As he stated very correctly, that's not how this works.

Reactions: 1 person
If he is going to stay one year and then go PRO, why not UT....I get Kentucky and Duke

@GaryParrishCBS: The other four schools I mentioned earlier that Austin Nichols will not be released to are Tennessee, Providence, Iowa and Virginia.

@GaryParrishCBS: According to @TheCAJasonSmith, Memphis is in a future tournament with Iowa, Providence and Virginia. So that’s the explanation there.

@GaryParrishCBS: What’s hilarious is Memphis denied Tennessee as a possible “future” opponent. But Memphis has also said it won’t schedule Tennessee.

@GaryParrishCBS: True story: Memphis initially sent Tennessee an email saying it can’t contact Austin Nichols because UT is a future opponent. Naturally …

@GaryParrishCBS: … UT responded by saying, “Um, no we’re not.” So Memphis sent another email saying UT is now simply on a “restricted” list. Just because.

lol what a joke that program is.

Reactions: 2 people
If he is going to stay one year and then go PRO, why not UT....I get Kentucky and Duke

He's not a guaranteed lottery pick, hell he's not even a sure fire first round pick as of today. He's got all the talent and skills to be though with another good year. The Memphis team he could have been on this season will probably be better than the UT team next season. Point being that Nichols is leaving to put himself in the best position possible to succeed and get drafted. So why go to UT when you can go to Duke, Kentucky, North Carolina and the like?

He's not a guaranteed lottery pick, hell he's not even a sure fire first round pick as of today. He's got all the talent and skills to be though with another good year. The Memphis team he could have been on this season will probably be better than the UT team next season. Point being that Nichols is leaving to put himself in the best position possible to succeed and get drafted. So why go to UT when you can go to Duke, Kentucky, North Carolina and the like?

One thing that he should consider is what those guys roster will be like in 2 years. For example if Kentucky and Duke keep recruiting lights out he might not even have a chance to start.

Even if he weren't restricted, I fail to see the incentive to come here if he really is getting interest from the blue chips. Not trying to be a Debbie, but this talk of him paying his way to play here is beyond ridiculous.

Even if he weren't restricted, I fail to see the incentive to come here if he really is getting interest from the blue chips. Not trying to be a Debbie, but this talk of him paying his way to play here is beyond ridiculous.

Did he not get a fair amount of interest from the blue chips before he chose Memphis?

Did he not get a fair amount of interest from the blue chips before he chose Memphis?

Yes, but I'm going off the assumption that distance is not a factor now like it was out of HS. Of course, I could be completely wrong. I still stand by my comment about the idea of him paying tuition.

Yes, but I'm going off the assumption that distance is not a factor now like it was out of HS. Of course, I could be completely wrong. I still stand by my comment about the idea of him paying tuition.

I agree with your paying tuition comment, but the other part of your original statement I cannot. I think if we had not been blocked we would have been a major player in his decision. Still may be but a very long shot.

I have little to no sympathy for him.
He could have been a star already at UT.
He liked the Vols during his recruitment but chose
Memphis - as his dad liked at the time.

Best of luck to the young man.

I have little to no sympathy for him.
He could have been a star already at UT.
He liked the Vols during his recruitment but chose
Memphis - as his dad liked at the time.

Best of luck to the young man.

Doubt he's looking for sympathy, but good thing you never made a mistake as an 18 yr old.

Last edited:
One thing that he should consider is what those guys roster will be like in 2 years. For example if Kentucky and Duke keep recruiting lights out he might not even have a chance to start.

I stand by my statement I've made a few times that he would have started at Duke this season. Winslow would have slid over to the 3, his more natural position, and Nichols would be ahead of Amile Jefferson on the depth chart. Your point is still very valid though, I don't envision him going somewhere that he's not going to start. Those situations are going to be few and far between though. He'll be redshirt Junior and I don't think the 2016 class is really deep with talented bigs. Nichols is a 4, but can play the 5 if needed, especially with a redshirt year to get stronger.

Doubt he looking for it, but good thing you never made a mistake as an 18 yr old.

No. It's more of him following the advice most Memphis athletes get from their coaches in Memphis about going to school in Knoxville.

It's not all his fault.
That said, Tennessee will be fine.

You think the Memphis team would be better? Who is left? I think the UT team would be pretty good with him added to it next year. Definitely the following year as Memphis gets worse (if he stayed another year). Plus we all know he would have a better coach here.

I stand by my statement I've made a few times that he would have started at Duke this season. Winslow would have slid over to the 3, his more natural position, and Nichols would be ahead of Amile Jefferson on the depth chart. Your point is still very valid though, I don't envision him going somewhere that he's not going to start. Those situations are going to be few and far between though. He'll be redshirt Junior and I don't think the 2016 class is really deep with talented bigs. Nichols is a 4, but can play the 5 if needed, especially with a redshirt year to get stronger.

That would have been a good lineup but Duke took off when they went with a 3 guard attack and used Winslow as a stretch 4. With two bigs who were pretty much paint type guys it would have slowed them down. We just have a disagreement over strategy but that's our personal preferences.

college is ridiculous in the states.

In the states? You from Europe?

They managed to send his twin sister to UT somehow.

I don't expect him to come here but I believe he could if he wanted. I only bring it up because he wanted to be here at one time.

Here's what Hatfield who covers hoops for Basilio said on his blog....

"Nichols may not be as dependent on a release by Memphis as other players are in similar situations. If forced, the Nichols family would likely be able to foot the bill at the school of Austin's choice. That gives him options that aren't available to players from less comfortable socioeconomic. My guess is that they have already made this point to Memphis officials."

VN Store

Back