Austin Nichols to leave memphis

Pass on this kid. Poor defensively and obviously has some maturing to do.

You don't pass on his talent, but he may not even consider UT. He is skilled and probably would get better coaching somewhere else.

He also apparently enjoys things off the court, and I have no issue with that. A person needs to be happy.

Reactions: 1 person
I have zero idea what actually led to this (other than the rumors everyone else has heard) but no matter the reason, Josh Pastner has absolutely destroyed the Memphis program. And for that I salute him. :clap:

Reactions: 6 people
You don't pass on his talent, but he may not even consider UT. He is skilled and probably would get better coaching somewhere else.

He also apparently enjoys things off the court, and I have no issue with that. A person needs to be happy.

I think your last paragraph may play into Tennessee's favor a bit, although he may not eventually end up here. He seems to enjoy college and the college life, and he has a sister and a lot of friends here that would assist in that, I'm sure.

Rumors are flying here in Memphis. One in particular is pretty interesting. I can't validate it in any way, I'm not a insider, but I'm hearing that a fan (not sure if a booster or not), who has a lot of money and has ties to Virginia, is trying to get Nichols to transfer to Virginia. He is a Memphis fan, so the rumor is that he is trying to get Pastner fired. As I said, I can't validate this in any way, just passing along a rumor.

The Tennessee basketball program is in no shape to play the role of stubborn and vengeful. If he wants to come here, we should help him pack.
This is the attitude I don't get with basketball around here.. I agree with ya Chris..

Rumors are flying here in Memphis. One in particular is pretty interesting. I can't validate it in any way, I'm not a insider, but I'm hearing that a fan (not sure if a booster or not), who has a lot of money and has ties to Virginia, is trying to get Nichols to transfer to Virginia. He is a Memphis fan, so the rumor is that he is trying to get Pastner fired. As I said, I can't validate this in any way, just passing along a rumor.

Pastner needs to go, also why would Staudamire leave Arizona then come back to Memphis who is struggling and Zona is on top now.. Watch for Damon to become temp coach soon..I'm jus guessing here..

He left because he and his girlfriend broke up, and his girlfriend so happens to be a cheerleader for Memphis. He said staying was too had and apparently went through a lot emotionally with the break up. This one isn't on Pastner, just an unfortunate series of events.

He left because he and his girlfriend broke up, and his girlfriend so happens to be a cheerleader for Memphis. He said staying was too had and apparently went through a lot emotionally with the break up. This one isn't on Pastner, just an unfortunate series of events.

There is some truth to this, but not the only factor. Right now the theory is Nichols is transferring because of a combination of several factors: Dad was never fully on board with Memphis, all his fellow recruits in 13 class transferred, it would be easier to be an All-American at certain other schools, bad year last year and overall instability in the program, watching Duke win knowing he could have been a huge part of that team, watching Virginia do well and get a one seed knowing he could have been a huge part of that team, and also a very bad breakup with a Memphis cheerleader who he would have to see at every single home game. It has been said he had a meeting with Pastner as recently as 3 weeks ago saying he was 100% on board, and that the breakup might have put him in a bad place mentally and may have been the straw that broke the camel's back. However he isn't transferring just because of a girl, but because of a number of factors listed above.

For a Big he is not defensively sound. I have watched him for 2 seasons in Memphis. There are times when he is passive defensively. Perhaps better coaching can improve this.

There is some truth to this, but not the only factor. Right now the theory is Nichols is transferring because of a combination of several factors: Dad was never fully on board with Memphis, all his fellow recruits in 13 class transferred, it would be easier to be an All-American at certain other schools, bad year last year and overall instability in the program, watching Duke win knowing he could have been a huge part of that team, watching Virginia do well and get a one seed knowing he could have been a huge part of that team, and also a very bad breakup with a Memphis cheerleader who he would have to see at every single home game. It has been said he had a meeting with Pastner as recently as 3 weeks ago saying he was 100% on board, and that the breakup might have put him in a bad place mentally and may have been the straw that broke the camel's back. However he isn't transferring just because of a girl, but because of a number of factors listed above.

This is all correct.... And still lots of blame to go on Pastner. If Pastner wasn't failing so badly he would probably stay. It's the the combo, but he would hardly leave a good place just over a girl.

For a Big he is not defensively sound. I have watched him for 2 seasons in Memphis. There are times when he is passive defensively. Perhaps better coaching can improve this.

Nichols was garbage defensively his first year, but was 3rd in the country last year for blocks per game, and was second in voting for AAC defensive player of the year. I think you watched a lot of his first year and none of his second, because he turned into a really, really good defender.

Last edited:

Well he was one of the nations top shot blockers, so he's doing something right defensively.

He is skilled offensively, and he got better defensively last year even with the coaching he got. Jahlil Okafor was not great defensively and went #3. I am not saying he is as good right now, but Nichols has the skill to be a solid contributor.

The basketball arena at Virginia is named after a person from Memphis who went there and donated alot of money. Although this guy is younger, he went to the same school and high school as Fred Smith, CEO of FedEx, who also had a son go to Virginia. The son was involved in an altercation in Virginia that was widely publicized and ended up being charged.

While this may not matter, there are clear Virginia Cavs- Memphis connections.

Certainly believe he will get better if he gets with the right coach. The question is whether Barnes is the guy he wants to come play for and will Pastner release him.

Where would he get better coaching at? Is Barnes not considered a top notch coach? Maybe not the elite of the elite, but very well respected coach nonetheless. He has coached several high draft choice big men too.

@GaryParrishCBS: Conditions on Austin Nichols' release per source: No AAC school. Nobody on Memphis schedule. And four to-be-determined schools.

@GaryParrishCBS: My guess is the to-be-determined schools will be schools Nichols officially visited out of HS or schools Memphis believes might've tampered.

@GaryParrishCBS: The other four schools I mentioned earlier that Austin Nichols will not be released to are Tennessee, Providence, Iowa and Virginia.

@GaryParrishCBS: According to @TheCAJasonSmith, Memphis is in a future tournament with Iowa, Providence and Virginia. So that’s the explanation there.

@GaryParrishCBS: What’s hilarious is Memphis denied Tennessee as a possible “future” opponent. But Memphis has also said it won’t schedule Tennessee.

@GaryParrishCBS: True story: Memphis initially sent Tennessee an email saying it can’t contact Austin Nichols because UT is a future opponent. Naturally …

@GaryParrishCBS: … UT responded by saying, “Um, no we’re not.” So Memphis sent another email saying UT is now simply on a “restricted” list. Just because.

@GaryParrishCBS: The other four schools I mentioned earlier that Austin Nichols will not be released to are Tennessee, Providence, Iowa and Virginia.

@GaryParrishCBS: According to @TheCAJasonSmith, Memphis is in a future tournament with Iowa, Providence and Virginia. So that’s the explanation there.

@GaryParrishCBS: What’s hilarious is Memphis denied Tennessee as a possible “future” opponent. But Memphis has also said it won’t schedule Tennessee.

@GaryParrishCBS: True story: Memphis initially sent Tennessee an email saying it can’t contact Austin Nichols because UT is a future opponent. Naturally …

@GaryParrishCBS: … UT responded by saying, “Um, no we’re not.” So Memphis sent another email saying UT is now simply on a “restricted” list. Just because.

Tried to tell y'all.

VN Store

Back