Atlanta Braves II

Status
Not open for further replies.
This wasn't Martinez's fault. This was a terribly managed game. It started with Fredi taking EOF out for no reason at all in favor of Linebrink. His second mistake was not pinch hitting for Martinez in the 13th with Hudson or Jurrjens, who are excellent bunters. And then bringing back Martinez for another inning after the disaster of the top half was terrible as well. All the while the Braves lose another extra inning road game in which their best reliever never pitched. #frediball

This wasn't Martinez's fault. This was a terribly managed game. It started with Fredi taking EOF out for no reason at all in favor of Linebrink. His second mistake was not pinch hitting for Martinez in the 13th with Hudson or Jurrjens, who are excellent bunters. And then bringing back Martinez for another inning after the disaster of the top half was terrible as well. All the while the Braves lose another extra inning road game in which their best reliever never pitched. #frediball

So, the real question is is Fredi just having growing pains with his new team or is this a sign of a bigger problem?

Bringing Linebrink in to face Hundley was a standard lefty/righty switch. Hundley bats righthanded, so you bring a righty in to face him. And it's standard operating procedure for managers to hang on to their closer in extra innings on the road as long as possible in hopes of using him for the save. I'm not saying I like either of those moves at all, but both of them were standard, by-the-book boilerplate managerial decisions. Cox made those same moves all the time.

I have a question for you guys.

How much, if any, consideration should there have been to have McCann bunt after the Chipper double in the 11th? I realize he one of you best hitters and in the 4 hole however he was facing a lefty so I am curious what you guys think. McCann seems to handle the bat well but I honestly have no idea if he can bunt...

McCann has laid down bunts before. He likes ****in with teams when that put the shift on him. Have seen him do it many times with the first pitch he sees. Think he gets a big kick out of it.

I have a question for you guys.

How much, if any, consideration should there have been to have McCann bunt after the Chipper double in the 11th? I realize he one of you best hitters and in the 4 hole however he was facing a lefty so I am curious what you guys think. McCann seems to handle the bat well but I honestly have no idea if he can bunt...

With McCann up, you've got three chances to drive the runner in from third with a hit -- and McCann is easily your best chance to get that hit. Even if McCann puts down a bunt successfully, then now you've got the runner at third with one out, and the Padres get to pick between pitching to a guy who strikes out 150 times a year, or putting him on to set up a double-play and going lefty-lefty against the rookie. So I don't love the situation even if McCann gets the bunt down -- and I don't care how well he handles the bat in practice, with only 9 SHs in 3000 PAs, getting the bunt down is nowhere near a sure thing. I would have let him swing away too.

Bringing Linebrink in to face Hundley was a standard lefty/righty switch. Hundley bats righthanded, so you bring a righty in to face him. And it's standard operating procedure for managers to hang on to their closer in extra innings on the road as long as possible in hopes of using him for the save. I'm not saying I like either of those moves at all, but both of them were standard, by-the-book boilerplate managerial decisions. Cox made those same moves all the time.

Hundley has a lower career OPS vs. Lefties than righties and EOF has been fine vs righties in his career, hell he had just just struck Headley out. Not to mention O'Flaherty is just a much better major league pitcher than Linebrink.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back