Atlanta Braves II

Status
Not open for further replies.
McLouth will make around $10.5M next year unless hos contact is bought out this off-season. In other words, he won't be back.
Unless they can get an MLB-ready CF in return, Schaefer won't be traded.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Barring a miracle, I don't think Schaefer will be that guy next year, we are probably going to have to find someone else.

Barring a miracle, I don't think Schaefer will be that guy next year, we are probably going to have to find someone else.

You are probably right, but it's a money issue. Unless we get a Colby Rasmus type in return, Schaefer will be given every chance to be the every day CF.

Schaefer will never be an everyday CF in the bigs. That position is really a hole in the system that needs to be addressed.

That was a nice win today. Fredi has been a real disaster in game though, hopefully that will change as he gets more comfortable with his players and their abilities.

Schaefer will never be an everyday CF in the bigs. That position is really a hole in the system that needs to be addressed.

That was a nice win today. Fredi has been a real disaster in game though, hopefully that will change as he gets more comfortable with his players and their abilities.
Yes.

If Nate becomes a serviceable big leaguer again, does Wren try and move Schaefer?
For what? A few bats and some Big League Chew? Between the injuries, the drug suspension and the lack of production he's got very little value right now.

For what? A few bats and some Big League Chew? Between the injuries, the drug suspension and the lack of production he's got very little value right now.

good call. wren probably been trying to get someone to take him for a long time.

The thing about a trade is that two teams have to agree to a deal. You can't just call up the trade fairy and make a deal to unload a guy that has sucked. If you could, Kenshin Kawakami wouldn't be making $5 million to pitch in AA this year.

Through August last year, Kawakami was ~85 percent as good as Derek Lowe, other than run support. If you're a GM and you need pitching and you can talk Wren into a deal where the Braves eat most of his salary, that seems like an easy trade. Can't believe Wren hasn't made a deal for him yet.

Through August last year, Kawakami was ~85 percent as good as Derek Lowe, other than run support. If you're a GM and you need pitching and you can talk Wren into a deal where the Braves eat most of his salary, that seems like an easy trade. Can't believe Wren hasn't made a deal for him yet.

^ There's why.
The organization does not have very deep pockets. Unless they are able to get a pretty decent CF in return, there is absolutely no way the Braves will get rid of KK and eat very much of his salary; even if that means he toils away in AA as a very expensive insurance policy for injury to the rotation. Expect the latter, as '~85% as good as DL' was good for an inflated ERA and a very poor record (whatever the run support).

^ There's why.
The organization does not have very deep pockets. Unless they are able to get a pretty decent CF in return, there is absolutely no way the Braves will get rid of KK and eat very much of his salary; even if that means he toils away in AA as a very expensive insurance policy for injury to the rotation. Expect the latter, as '~85% as good as DL' was good for an inflated ERA and a very poor record (whatever the run support).

How does having deep pockets have anything to do with whether or not the Braves trade Kawakami away? They've already eaten 100 percent of his salary. It's a sunk cost. The only question is whether they can make a trade that allows them to spit back out some percentage of it, plus pick up a spare player in the bargain. If they can't trade him, they have to pay it all. He's so far out of the Braves' plans that he's not even insurance anymore. The only way he sees the field in Atlanta again is if the entire starting rotation is out drinking one night and gets in a bad car wreck.

I'm certainly not arguing that he was any good at all last year, but if you're a team which is desperate for pitching, it would be worth taking a flier on Kawakami for 10 percent of his salary and a low-level prospect. And literally anything Wren could get for him would be more valuable than what the Braves will have by keeping him.

Wren has handled Kawakami as though he were trying to destroy every bit of his trade value on purpose. It's weird.

How does having deep pockets have anything to do with whether or not the Braves trade Kawakami away? They've already eaten 100 percent of his salary. It's a sunk cost. The only question is whether they can make a trade that allows them to spit back out some percentage of it, plus pick up a spare player in the bargain. If they can't trade him, they have to pay it all. He's so far out of the Braves' plans that he's not even insurance anymore. The only way he sees the field in Atlanta again is if the entire starting rotation is out drinking one night and gets in a bad car wreck.

I'm certainly not arguing that he was any good at all last year, but if you're a team which is desperate for pitching, it would be worth taking a flier on Kawakami for 10 percent of his salary and a low-level prospect. And literally anything Wren could get for him would be more valuable than what the Braves will have by keeping him.

Wren has handled Kawakami as though he were trying to destroy every bit of his trade value on purpose. It's weird.

I see your point, and agree that it is a sunk cost, but I think Wren will want someone to either pick up all of his contract or get a solid, MLB-ready CF or bullpen arm. No team will do that. The Yankees would usually be the most logical fit, but they have too many back-of-the-rotation arms both in the show and at the AAA level. Other teams want to get something for nothing, and I just don't see anyone offering enough for Wren to pull the trigger.

I'm very disappointed in the whole Kawakami experiment, from the rediculous contract, to KK's performance, to Wren's botched attempts to trade him. One big cluster...you know the rest.

If Wren's holding out for any kind of a solid player in return for Kawakami, then he's the one who's hoping to get something for nothing. The Braves have completely napalmed Kawakami's trade value in a way that I've never seen them do with any other player; they've made it absolutely clear that they consider him to be worthless. It's like taking a sledgehammer to your old car, smashing all the windows out and giant dents in the body, and then driving it right to a car dealer to ask what they'll give you in trade.

At this point I guess Wren is just going to wait and hope that a couple of teams' #5 starters will get hurt and somebody will get desperate.

If Wren's holding out for any kind of a solid player in return for Kawakami, then he's the one who's hoping to get something for nothing. The Braves have completely napalmed Kawakami's trade value in a way that I've never seen them do with any other player; they've made it absolutely clear that they consider him to be worthless. It's like taking a sledgehammer to your old car, smashing all the windows out and giant dents in the body, and then driving it right to a car dealer to ask what they'll give you in trade.

At this point I guess Wren is just going to wait and hope that a couple of teams' #5 starters will get hurt and somebody will get desperate.

weren't they hoping he would go back to Japan at some point?

weren't they hoping he would go back to Japan at some point?

Yes. The best result for the Braves, and doubtless a big reason why they treated him so poorly and underlined so thoroughly that they think he sucks, would have been if he got frustrated and agreed to a trade back to Japan, because there were reportedly a couple of Japanese teams who would have been willing to pick up a sizable chunk of his salary. Kawakami wouldn't agree to it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back