Atlanta Braves II

Status
Not open for further replies.
7IP, 4H, 1BB. 10K. That's what I'm talking about. If Hanson still has any chance of being a top-shelf pitcher, he needs to start throwing lines like that up on a regular basis.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

7IP, 4H, 1BB. 10K. That's what I'm talking about. If Hanson still has any chance of being a top-shelf pitcher, he needs to start throwing lines like that up on a regular basis.
That was a great performance, even if it was against a mediocre team.

How's this for a train wreck? Fans heckle . . . rather than ignore it, a coach responds with off color remarks probably commensurate with the hecklers . . . some guy overhears it and retains Gloria Friggin Allred. :wacko:

Braves pitching coach accused of hurling gay slurs | ajc.com

I wasn't there, but knowing Roger McDowell there's just no way he was serious when he "walked toward the fan with a bat in a menacing manner and asked how much his teeth were worth".

Last edited:
That was a great performance, even if it was against a mediocre team.

One walk to ten strikeouts is a man's performance against anybody. Runs can be flukey, hits can be flukey, but there's nothing flukey at all about 1BB/10K. Hanson may make a believer of me yet.

People should quit being so damn sensitive. I seriously doubt that that is the full story.

Story is supposedly something like this: three guys are heckling McDowell during BP before the game. McDowell gives them some crap back, asks them if they are a "homo couple" or something like that. Guy is in the stands nearby with his two nine-year old girls, yells at McDowell to shut it because there are kids nearby. Supposedly McDowell yells back something along the lines of, "Kids shouldn't go to the fscking ballpark" and -- again, supposedly -- makes threatening gesture with a bat and says something about knocking the guy's teeth in. Crowd boos McDowell, guy gets pissed, files complaint, lawyers up.

If there are any witnesses nearby who corroborate the general chain of events, then McDowell's gone.

. . . and a certain guy whose been biding his time doing morning drive sports talk will start salivating.

If McDowell is fired (which I think will happen, remember, some people still hate Atlanta for the John Rocker fiasco), then either Tom Glavine or Leo Mazzone will be named interim pitching coach for the year, or they call someone up from the minors.

If McDowell is fired (which I think will happen, remember, some people still hate Atlanta for the John Rocker fiasco), then either Tom Glavine or Leo Mazzone will be named interim pitching coach for the year, or they call someone up from the minors.
I doubt Glavine wants to work that hard. Mazzone on the other hand would leave in the middle of the morning show and be at Turner Field in about 10 minutes.

I doubt Glavine wants to work that hard. Mazzone on the other hand would leave in the middle of the morning show and be at Turner Field in about 10 minutes.

How old is Leo? It's only been three years since he was fired, and he is a baseball lifer. Why you think he wants it that bad?

If this guy's story even sort of holds up, then it won't be the anti-gay comments that get McDowell fired; that would just earn him a nice long suspension. What will get him fired is yelling the thing about kids not belonging at the ballpark. If the Braves don't fire him then Selig will.

If I spent over a hundred bucks to take my family to the ballpark, and one of the coaches screamed at and threatened me in front of my kids, I'd probably make as big and nasty and public a stink about it as I could too in order to get the MFer fired.

Really nice finish to the road trip to get to .500. Now to start consistently winning some series.

How old is Leo? It's only been three years since he was fired, and he is a baseball lifer. Why you think he wants it that bad?
If you listen to him for any length of time it's obvious he wants back in and that he knows he screwed up leaving the Braves organization chasing a boyhood dream.

I don't know whether to hope this news is true or false. It would be nice to see Leo rockin on the bench again, but I do give CRM some credit for good work.

If you listen to him for any length of time it's obvious he wants back in and that he knows he screwed up leaving the Braves organization chasing a boyhood dream.

You think he can be successful again?

If this guy's story even sort of holds up, then it won't be the anti-gay comments that get McDowell fired; that would just earn him a nice long suspension. What will get him fired is yelling the thing about kids not belonging at the ballpark. If the Braves don't fire him then Selig will.

If I spent over a hundred bucks to take my family to the ballpark, and one of the coaches screamed at and threatened me in front of my kids, I'd probably make as big and nasty and public a stink about it as I could too in order to get the MFer fired.

Bingo.

There was a time in Leo's career when serious columns were written about him asking whether it would be possible for a pitching coach to get in the Hall of Fame. Remember that?

Even then, though, everybody sort of wondered what kind of a job he would do if he didn't have a rotation full of Hall of Famers. And what happened is he went to Baltimore and showed us.

There was a time in Leo's career when serious columns were written about him asking whether it would be possible for a pitching coach to get in the Hall of Fame. Remember that?

Even then, though, everybody sort of wondered what kind of a job he would do if he didn't have a rotation full of Hall of Famers. And what happened is he went to Baltimore and showed us.

To be fair though, Baltimore isn't the best situation. I mean, they do kind of suck.

To be fair though, Baltimore isn't the best situation. I mean, they do kind of suck.

No question. But Mazzone's reputation before the Baltimore gig was as a miracle worker. And then he put himself into a situation where actual miracles sort of needed to be worked, and shockingly it didn't happen. Once you took the HOFers out of the rotation and John Schuerholz out of the talent-acquisition process, there wasn't a whole lot left under Mazzone's dress.

I think he'd be fine if he came back; he's a good pitching coach. But it's funny to think back about all the credit he got 10-15 years ago.

No question. But Mazzone's reputation before the Baltimore gig was as a miracle worker. And then he put himself into a situation where actual miracles sort of needed to be worked, and shockingly it didn't happen. Once you took the HOFers out of the rotation and John Schuerholz out of the talent-acquisition process, there wasn't a whole lot left under Mazzone's dress.

I think he'd be fine if he came back; he's a good pitching coach. But it's funny to think back about all the credit he got 10-15 years ago.

That is true. I think he would do well here. Our rotation now is nothing to shake a stick at. Not comparable to the 90's rotation but the talent is certainly there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back