Atlanta Braves II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only if he gives a hometown discount. Braves will not overpay for a catcher going into the second half of his career... and I don't blame them on that one. Freeman, Heyward, Beachy, Minor, Hansen, Venters, Kimbrel need locking up. It is a numbers game especially with Liberty Media

You have a lot more confidence than I do that the Braves will make the coldly rational baseball move. Chipper will be gone, leaving McCann as the last remaining longterm familiar face. Given his willingness to sign the longterm deal last time, I don't expect McCann to care much about extracting every last dollar possible, so I think he'll want to get a long-term deal done. I'll be very surprised if they don't work something out.

And probably this offseason. McCann could theoretically be a free agent as soon as next year -- after 2012, he's got a club option for $12m for 2013, and that's it. I expect his agent will be pushing hard to go ahead and extend that a few years so that McCann doesn't have it hanging over his head next year.

There's no question that the smartest way to play this for a team on a budget is to pick up McCann's option year for 2013, let Ross walk, promote Bethancourt and let him be the backup for a year, then give Brian a gold watch and wish him well. I don't expect it to play out like that.

Speaking of Andruw Jones,

It is a shame that there is no evidence of his outstanding, over-the-shoulder, both feet in the wall, spider-like basket catch.

One of the greatest catches I've ever seen.

I ponied up for the full subscription last year when they added MLB.tv support for the Apple TV, and it's great. Being able to watch not only on the the phone/iPad but also on my big TV put it over the top.

The only annoyance is MLB's draconian blackout policy. If I'm away from the house and want to watch the Braves, I have to use my Slingbox instead of the MLB app because all local TV broadcasts are blocked. It should be a no-brainer for anyone who roots for a team out of the market they live in, though.

There are ways around the blackouts. The most simple, imo, is to use Tor.

https://www.torproject.org/

This will allow you to change your gateway, as seen by the MLB servers, to be from tens of thousands potential locations. With a single click after connecting to the Tor collective you can change your public IP. It is very simple to use.

I do warn, though, however. I would never use a proxy such as Tor for any sort of personal banking, checking email, or anything of that sort. Even though it may be encrypted, it still doesn't mean that it is 100% secure. But it is very useful in getting situations as you mentioned above.

There's no question that the smartest way to play this for a team on a budget is to pick up McCann's option year for 2013, let Ross walk, promote Bethancourt and let him be the backup for a year, then give Brian a gold watch and wish him well. I don't expect it to play out like that.

Maybe Mac drops a few pounds and can make a move to left in a few years?

edit: i know it will never happen

It is a shame that there is no evidence of his outstanding, over-the-shoulder, both feet in the wall, spider-like basket catch.

I remember it well. That and the Otis Nixon wall climbing catch are my two favorite ever.

My favorite memory of Andruw Jones: I think it was his last year in Atlanta (long after he got fat). He hit a HR, and was about to step on 1st Base, shuffled his feet, tripped, and fell flat on his face. I distinctly remember Chipper and Terry P in the dugout losing their minds laughing so hard. I have tried and tried to find this clip, but have never been able to. If anyone could find it, I would be forever endebted to you.

My favorite memory of Andruw Jones: I think it was his last year in Atlanta (long after he got fat). He hit a HR, and was about to step on 1st Base, shuffled his feet, tripped, and fell flat on his face. I distinctly remember Chipper and Terry P in the dugout losing their minds laughing so hard. I have tried and tried to find this clip, but have never been able to. If anyone could find it, I would be forever endebted to you.

I remember that because it looked lik TP was going to have a seizure.

There are ways around the blackouts. The most simple, imo, is to use Tor.

https://www.torproject.org/

This will allow you to change your gateway, as seen by the MLB servers, to be from tens of thousands potential locations. With a single click after connecting to the Tor collective you can change your public IP. It is very simple to use.

I do warn, though, however. I would never use a proxy such as Tor for any sort of personal banking, checking email, or anything of that sort. Even though it may be encrypted, it still doesn't mean that it is 100% secure. But it is very useful in getting situations as you mentioned above.

I actually subscribe to a full-on VPN service, as I occasionally like to do a little torrenting and, for various reasons, torrenting over Tor is not a good idea. And, unlike Tor, it's compatible with an (unjailbroken) iPad/iPhone. The Slingbox is so easy that I hadn't actually thought about using it to fake my location for the MLB app, although obviously it would be easy enough. Good point.

One of my favorites is when B Mac hit that triple and face planted/slide into third. Chipper lost it on that one too.

Wait, wait, wait. Let's hold up a damn minute.

When the hell was Bob Gibson a pitching coach, and how come I didn't know about this?

Wait, wait, wait. Let's hold up a damn minute.

When the hell was Bob Gibson a pitching coach, and how come I didn't know about this?

When Ted Turner fired Bobby Cox after the 81 season, he hired Joe Torre who brought in Gibson with him as Pitching Coach. Pretty sure he was in ATL for Torre's entire tenure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back