Anyone here live in Florida?

I've heard a lot about hurricane parties. I'd like to experience one but at the same time I hope it never happens!

Lol, if you only knew LW.

Folks have a place in NSB. been going for 12 years, Pops his whole life, and his grandparents. Its a badass beach town. close enough to do Orlando, far enough away to fish, and has small town college feel for fun time

I'm in West Palm Beach, and my inlaws are in Deland, which is halfway between Orlando and Daytona. Central Florida gets some winter, so that is nice. It's also more humid in orlando than the coasts. I think you'll be fine- florida get's a bad rap, but you'll always be able to fly out of town cheap :)

I'm in West Palm Beach, and my inlaws are in Deland, which is halfway between Orlando and Daytona. Central Florida gets some winter, so that is nice. It's also more humid in orlando than the coasts. I think you'll be fine- florida get's a bad rap, but you'll always be able to fly out of town cheap :)

Lucky bastard. WPB is one of my favorite places to visit. Love it over there

I can't wait to move to the sunshine state. My girlfriend wants a job at Disney

A colleague's daughter just got a permanent Disney job and loves it. She started as an intern while in school. Here's the professional intern site:

Disney Professional Internships Home | Jobs and Careers

Interns work crazy long hours but that way, they can see who the workers are versus the whiners. Sounds like they treat the permanent employees very well.

She won't want to work more than a couple of years there. I work with a few who came from their IT dept

I can't wait to move to the sunshine state. My girlfriend wants a job at Disney

Given a choice between the two apartment complexes you're looking at, I think Park Place at Maguire is newer than Key Isle. Not sure how the amenities compare.

Both are well within your price range, and you're a straight shot on Maguire to Sysco...very easy 5-10 minute commute.

If your girlfriend is looking to work at Disney, she'll have about a 25 minute commute from Ocoee/Windermere, but she won't have to deal with I-4.

Reactions: 1 person
Looks like Lawrence has all the right info for your area. I live on the east side in Oviedo. Great area but commute would be a pain for you.

Given a choice between the two apartment complexes you're looking at, I think Park Place at Maguire is newer than Key Isle. Not sure how the amenities compare.

Both are well within your price range, and you're a straight shot on Maguire to Sysco...very easy 5-10 minute commute.

If your girlfriend is looking to work at Disney, she'll have about a 25 minute commute from Ocoee/Windermere, but she won't have to deal with I-4.
Appreciate the info! I'll be in town the 29th of this month and I'll be checking out maguire

The only thing I despise since living down here is the tolls I have to pay. I live in Coral Springs and the fastest way for me to Sunrise is the Sawgrass Expressway. I have to pay a little over $2 each day in tolls. That's just for work and not counting the other trips I take to various destinations.

The only thing I despise since living down here is the tolls I have to pay. I live in Coral Springs and the fastest way for me to Sunrise is the Sawgrass Expressway. I have to pay a little over $2 each day in tolls. That's just for work and not counting the other trips I take to various destinations.

Like the newer toll roads in Central Florida (417, 429 & 414), the Sawgrass is definitely worth the convenience.

I had an office in Sunrise years ago across from Sawgrass Mills Mall, and driving down from Orlando was a breeze on the Sawgrass Expressway. Kept me from having to deal with all the Turnpike traffic headed into Ft. Lauderdale and Miami.

Like the newer toll roads in Central Florida (417, 429 & 414), the Sawgrass is definitely worth the convenience.

I had an office in Sunrise years ago across from Sawgrass Mills Mall, and driving down from Orlando was a breeze on the Sawgrass Expressway. Kept me from having to deal with all the Turnpike traffic headed into Ft. Lauderdale and Miami.

Oh it's very convenient compared to my other options. I'm speaking in terms of coming from TN with 0 tolls and having to adjust to start paying for my travel to work everyday. Having to keep up with my Sunpass and what not, it's all just a hassle.

Having to keep up with my Sunpass and what not, it's all just a hassle.

Sunpass is a breeze. Auto deduct and drive on through

I'll take a well maintained, uncrowded road over an orange barrel lined TN highway any day

Sunpass is a breeze. Auto deduct and drive on through

I'll take a well maintained, uncrowded road over an orange barrel lined TN highway any day

Maybe it just takes getting use to. I think my biggest thing is knowing I'm spending upwards of a $100 a month to drive.

Dont live in Orlando. Ocoee is ok. Winter Garden is pretty decent. Clermont is nice but a drive to Orlando.

If you have the cash Windemere.

KEY!

Like..even after they finish "fixing" I-4 I'd avoid it like the plague.

Moved to Maitland Fl. (N of Orlando 10 miles)straight from Knoxville for work. Been here 33 years, had many opportunities to leave but could not. I do not mind the heat. If you are moving to Ocoee I would advise you to get a road bicycle, some of the best trails are in Winter Garden right next to Ocoee. Golf out that way in the summer is cheap !! 15-30 bucks for some really great courses for residents. One of the best areas of the State for recreation is Clermont-not that far for you- the National Triathlon training center is in Clermont and has GREAT trails there. Golf courses are everywhere.... If you have kids they will rarely wear long pants, shorts and T shirts mainly. So much to do here.
Good Luck !!!

Moved to Maitland Fl. (N of Orlando 10 miles)straight from Knoxville for work. Been here 33 years, had many opportunities to leave but could not. I do not mind the heat. If you are moving to Ocoee I would advise you to get a road bicycle, some of the best trails are in Winter Garden right next to Ocoee. Golf out that way in the summer is cheap !! 15-30 bucks for some really great courses for residents. One of the best areas of the State for recreation is Clermont-not that far for you- the National Triathlon training center is in Clermont and has GREAT trails there. Golf courses are everywhere.... If you have kids they will rarely wear long pants, shorts and T shirts mainly. So much to do here.
Good Luck !!!
Thanks so much for the info!!! I'm not for sure moving to Ocoee the plan is anywhere within a good distance of it and Orlando so I'm all ears to any other areas that may interest me

Thanks so much for the info!!! I'm not for sure moving to Ocoee the plan is anywhere within a good distance of it and Orlando so I'm all ears to any other areas that may interest me

You definitely have options given Sysco is in Ocoee. Your daily commute is off the beaten path, and that's good.

That said, I'd definitely focus on the west side of Orange County.

Here's my take (other VN Orlandoites feel free to chime in also):

Downtown Orlando
Pros: Your commute to Ocoee every day will be in the opposite direction of rush hour traffic; bars and nightlife galore for the younger crowd.
Cons: 408 is a toll road; your girlfriend's commute to Disney from downtown will be a daily nightmare (I-4 is the only option); downtown rent can be ridiculously high.

Kirkman Road/MetroWest Area
Pros: Near Mall of Millenia, Universal Studios and other attractions. Plenty of options on condos/townhomes/apartments. Younger crowd.
Cons: Near Universal Studios and other attractions (tourist traffic); Pine Hills element is creeping into MetroWest (crime)

Windermere/Ocoee
Pros: Low crime, close to major roads (408, Turnpike, 429); relatively newer and upscale apartments to choose from; VERY close to your job; no daily tolls on your commute to Sysco
Cons: Windermere is expensive relative to other areas (except downtown)

Winter Garden
See Windermere/Ocoee, but add another 5-10 minutes to your commute and a very nice, brand new shopping area.

Bay Hill Area (SW Orlando)
Pros: Near attractions and "Restaurant Row"; easy commute to Disney (without I-4) and about a 20 minute commute to Ocoee.
Cons: Retirees and soccer moms galore; a little further away from major highways

Hunters Creek is close to Disney (further SW Orlando), but getting to and from Ocoee every day will be a chore. English to Spanish translation app is required in certain areas.

Apopka is another possibility, it's north of Ocoee, but a straight shot on the 429. It's a bit more rural if that's your style.

Reactions: 2 people
You definitely have options given Sysco is in Ocoee. Your daily commute is off the beaten path, and that's good.

That said, I'd definitely focus on the west side of Orange County.

Here's my take (other VN Orlandoites feel free to chime in also):

Downtown Orlando
Pros: Your commute to Ocoee every day will be in the opposite direction of rush hour traffic; bars and nightlife galore for the younger crowd.
Cons: 408 is a toll road; your girlfriend's commute to Disney from downtown will be a daily nightmare (I-4 is the only option); downtown rent can be ridiculously high.

Kirkman Road/MetroWest Area
Pros: Near Mall of Millenia, Universal Studios and other attractions. Plenty of options on condos/townhomes/apartments. Younger crowd.
Cons: Near Universal Studios and other attractions (tourist traffic); Pine Hills element is creeping into MetroWest (crime)

Windermere/Ocoee
Pros: Low crime, close to major roads (408, Turnpike, 429); relatively newer and upscale apartments to choose from; VERY close to your job; no daily tolls on your commute to Sysco
Cons: Windermere is expensive relative to other areas (except downtown)

Winter Garden
See Windermere/Ocoee, but add another 5-10 minutes to your commute and a very nice, brand new shopping area.

Bay Hill Area (SW Orlando)
Pros: Near attractions and "Restaurant Row"; easy commute to Disney (without I-4) and about a 20 minute commute to Ocoee.
Cons: Retirees and soccer moms galore; a little further away from major highways

Hunters Creek is close to Disney (further SW Orlando), but getting to and from Ocoee every day will be a chore. English to Spanish translation app is required in certain areas.

Apopka is another possibility, it's north of Ocoee, but a straight shot on the 429. It's a bit more rural if that's your style.
Thank you so,much this helped a ton! I think we're leaning towards Windermere everything we have heard and researched has sounded really good about it

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back