Anyone here live in Florida?

Don't mean to be negative about FL. I do miss the surf fishing. I do miss all the people I worked with.

I have priced condos in Mexico Beach, that $$$$ is now unattainable for me.

If you want to be there, that is the first step of enjoying any place, IMO.

You need to buy a place in Mexico beach, with a guest house :)

I'll be moving to Orlando or Ocoee Florida this summer and was wondering if anyone has some advice and some insight on what its like living in the area? I'm assuming living in Ocoee would be cheaper than in Orlando? Ocoee is like 15 minutes away.

I moved to Ocoee from MetroWest four years ago...absolutely love it.

Straight shot on the 408 East to downtown, close to the Turnpike, and rarely do you have to deal with I-4.

Why are you specifically looking at Ocoee? Is your job in that area?

I moved to Ocoee from MetroWest four years ago...absolutely love it.

Straight shot on the 408 East to downtown, close to the Turnpike, and rarely do you have to deal with I-4.

Why are you specifically looking at Ocoee? Is your job in that area?

I'll be working at the Sysco in Ocoee. I'm considering apartments and houses so any advice on apartment complexes or subdivisions would be great!

I'll be working at the Sysco in Ocoee. I'm considering apartments and houses so any advice on apartment complexes or subdivisions would be great!

Gotcha...Sysco is at the corner of Story Road and Maguire. Not too many apartment complexes in that area.

There's some very nice apartment complexes further south on Maguire, but you're getting closer to Windermere, so rent can be pricey.

Good news is if you were to look for a house/apartment closer to downtown, your commute would be in the opposite direction of normal rush hour traffic.

I figured living in Ocoee would be cheaper than Orlando

It depends on the neighborhood really.

I like Ocoee because it's close to everything without being in the middle of everything. There are really nice parts of Orlando right next to some not so nice parts of town.

Not to get too personal, but what's your target budget for rent/mortgage?

Anywhere between 1500$-2000$ a month is doable between me and my girlfriend

If it's just the two of you, I'd check out homes/apartment complexes near SR 50 (Colonial Dr) and Maguire Rd, or Winter Garden near Daniels Rd near 429 over by the Winter Garden Village shopping center.

Other than the humidity, love bugs, mosquitos, alligators in your pool, venomous snakes, terrible drivers, hurricanes, and old people that smell like moth balls Florida is great!

Welcome to the state :)

If it's just the two of you, I'd check out homes/apartment complexes near SR 50 (Colonial Dr) and Maguire Rd, or Winter Garden near Daniels Rd near 429 over by the Winter Garden Village shopping center.

Thanks for the tips! I've got her on it now. Know much about park place at Maguire and key isle at Windermere?

Other than the humidity, love bugs, mosquitos, alligators in your pool, venomous snakes, terrible drivers, hurricanes, and old people that smell like moth balls Florida is great!

Welcome to the state :)

See man, I've been sitting here showing this thread to my wife and trying to talk her into it, and you mention hurricanes! Thanks a lot! Ha

I'll be moving to Orlando or Ocoee Florida this summer and was wondering if anyone has some advice and some insight on what its like living in the area? I'm assuming living in Ocoee would be cheaper than in Orlando? Ocoee is like 15 minutes away.

You'll need your wife beaters, a four wheel drive truck and be in good standing with the klan.. Good luck

Reactions: 1 person
I lived in Tampa for four years and really loved the winters, the nightlife/restaurants, and the proximity to the beach. Summers are long and unbearable at times.

Orlando is one of my least favorite cities. The traffic is atrocious, it is overrun by tourists, it's hot and humid for about 9 months a year, and it's way too far from the beach for a day trip. Two positives: tons of great golf and plenty of great dining options.

Thanks for the tips! I've got her on it now. Know much about park place at Maguire and key isle at Windermere?

Both are nice properties, relatively new.

There's also some newer townhomes in that area, can't think of the subdivision.

Last edited:
See man, I've been sitting here showing this thread to my wife and trying to talk her into it, and you mention hurricanes! Thanks a lot! Ha

Haha hurricanes aren't a big deal unless you live within like 5 miles of the coast. I can't even remember the last time we had a hurricane scare. Not a big deal at all

Haha hurricanes aren't a big deal unless you live within like 5 miles of the coast. I can't even remember the last time we had a hurricane scare. Not a big deal at all

I would agree, but my wife thinks storm if tge clouds are gray. She's terrified.

Try to stay outside of Orlando. There worried about hurricanes and I almost got swept off on the top of Monteagle mountain at x-mas. Never seen that much water at once down here!

Thanks everyone for the tips! LW keep your eye on this thread I'll definitely have more questions much appreciated!

No problem.

As far as all the hurricane nonsense, Central Florida is far enough inland that by the time a big storm gets there, it's a tropical depression.

And you really haven't lived until you've attended your first official Florida hurricane party. :)

We have been traveling to the PCB area every year, twice a year for as long as I can remember. I love the beach. But PCB was becoming so overcrowded that it was almost impossible to even get out to do anything.
So 3 years ago we found a little piece of heaven Between Laguna and Santa Rosa Beach. Absolutely love it there. The beaches are crowd free. The wife and I have actually talked about moving to that area.

VN Store

Back