All Time NBA Players Thread - No Jordan vs. Lebron Debate Allowed

@zjcvols Redick agrees with you that eliminating defensive 3-seconds would make a significant difference.

And FTR, he said allowing hand-checking wouldn't make a difference.

Reactions: zjcvols
JJ's pod had a segment constructing a team with a player from every decade. I go:

50's = Wilt (maybe cheating? he only played 1959-60)
60's = Russell
70's = Jerry West
80's = Bird
90's = MJ
00's = Ray Allen
10's = Lebron
20's = Jokic

JJ's pod had a segment constructing a team with a player from every decade. I go:

50's = Wilt (maybe cheating? he only played 1959-60)
60's = Russell
70's = Jerry West
80's = Bird
90's = MJ
00's = Ray Allen
10's = Lebron
20's = Jokic

50’s- Russell
60’s- West
70’s- Kareem
80’s- Magic
90’s- Jordan
00’s- LeBron
10’s- Curry
20’s- Durant
30’s- Wemby

If I’m just building a team

West is so underrated man. I think out of all the 60’s guys if you pluck them from a Time Machine, gave them a year and asked them to play basketball in the 20’s he would thrive the best

I hated not using Duncan.

On Simmons/Russillo Sunday night chats, Russillo and Simmons spent two minutes talking about how unfair it is Duncan is already getting lost to history when he might be the most valuable true franchise player ever

Shaq is definitely the top 00's guy I take in a vacuum. I'd just much rather have Jokic on an all-star team. Ray Allen is probably my 10th pick in a vacuum, but I needed shooting.

Shaq is definitely the top 00's guy I take in a vacuum. I'd just much rather have Jokic on an all-star team. Ray Allen is probably my 10th pick in a vacuum, but I needed shooting.

Why not just take LeBron in the 00’s and Steph in 10’s?

And so the Steph/Ray Allen debate begins.

Steph is better than Ray Allen no question. It's just a matter of what's going on with the rest of the roster and who is available in Steph's decades. Allen does make the defense better and also punishes the other team more if they are small. Allen being your smallest guy would be nuts. He's getting dunks on back cuts from Jokic when Magic is guarding him and he's shooting over Cousy.

Because I don't really like that version of Lebron on an all-star team. Lebron had to learn to play with other stars, and that happened in 2010-11.

Oh, I wasn’t really thinking I had to have that year’s version. Just a guy from that decade.

On Simmons/Russillo Sunday night chats, Russillo and Simmons spent two minutes talking about how unfair it is Duncan is already getting lost to history when he might be the most valuable true franchise player ever
I think it's 100% because of his personality. He never did anything to draw attention to himself other than the fact that he was a really good basketball player. His teammate David Robinson is the same way (his career overlapping with Jordan's also probably has a lot to do with it). Both guys are incredibly underrated.

I think it's 100% because of his personality. He never did anything to draw attention to himself other than the fact that he was a really good basketball player. His teammate David Robinson is the same way (his career overlapping with Jordan's also probably has a lot to do with it). Both guys are incredibly underrated.

I would say under-celebrated, not underrated. Everybody who lived Duncan will remember it. It's not lost on us, and personally, I don't think it mattered that he didn't draw attention to himself. The problem is that no young people want to watch a Tim Duncan highlight reel. You will see more White Chocolate and Stromile Swift than you see Tim Duncan.

I do think Robinson is underrated as a talent. His career greatness is probably properly rated, but nobody is putting Robinson on the same tier as Hakeem and Shaq as a talent, but I do. He was a guy who could win the scoring title, score 70 in a game, and win DPOY. He could run like crazy and he had a huge physical presence. I think he's sort of the prototype for a super-team center, especially because he's not a selfish player.

Everybody puts Hakeem above him because Hakeem worked him in a high-profile series, and I have to acknowledge that...but what if Robinson had a sore back for those 2 weeks? We can't put it all on that, and for the rest of their careers head-to-head, Robinson actually won the rivalry. Counting stats were fairly close, but wins and efficiency favored Robinson by a good margin.

Alright, I think this is my all-prototype team. Style of play, talent, physical attributes fit the ideal mold of the position. The guy has to have played his position according to general unspoken standards for the position. He can't be a unicorn. Lebron is too much of a freak athletically and also played SF as a point-forward. He can't be on the team. Shaq is a unicorn, so it can't be him.

Jason Kidd
Michael Jordan
Kawhi Leonard
Chris Webber
David Robinson

Garnett was almost my PF, but I decided he was a unicorn. It pains me to put Webber on there, but I think his all-around skill and his physical attributes are what everybody wants out of a traditional PF and he could've thrived in the 70's or now. The hardest choice was Leonard over Grant Hill.

Mashburn was on Russillo and I really enjoyed him. Saw he was with JJ so I listen to that too. So good again...until he addressed analytics. More or less, he was saying "I don't need analytics to tell me what shot to take. That's just IQ." Mash is one of the first guys I think of when I'm discussing players who needed analytical guidance. 44% from 2p for his career. 34.5% from 3p and shot fewer than 4 attempts per game. Turning long 2's into 3's could have made him into the guy at Miami, not 3rd option.

I did appreciate that he is complimentary of the modern game.

On Simmons' pod, he and Russillo discussed 2024 projected all-NBA guys vs 2004's team. Then Simmons rattled off 60 names until he got to Dejounte Murray. He came up with 60 names in the NBA right now that could make 2004 all-NBA. I had to map it out to see it in order to process:

1710174297139.png

Edit: I think Ming was HOF

Last edited:

VN Store

Back