Alex Grinch out at USC and that might start a DC carrousel if Heupel is looking to replace Banks.

Banks is fine, we need more talent in the secondary. Can you imagine how good our pass rush would be with lockdown corners???

Who do people say he's a better coach than, if he's overrated? He's lost 15 games in 6+ seasons. That's pretty good, but nobody thinks he's better than any of the top coaches in the game.

He won the Big 12 4 times in 5 years at OU and made the CFP 3 times. His downfall always, always, has been the defense.
With the money he has been paid he is almost as overrated as Harbaugh.

That's fair but the shake up of DCs because of a major program losing a DC making nearly $2M can't help but draw attention from guys like Banks. He's very familiar with the B1G and what it takes to recruit and win there.

Past that, it just starts "job jumping" because it's a high level assistant position. I don't think there's a lot of programs that could tempt Banks (that don't play on Sunday) but it depends on hard Riley goes who will jump into that job and what it will leave open.

There is no amount of money that USC can offer that Tennessee can’t match. So Banks would be deciding to leave for a lesser job and essentially less pay when you bring taxes into it. All while being highly regarded and very much approved of by the fans.

Reactions: FollowTheLeader
Grinch made $1.8, I think. Granted CA sucks enough that $1.5 (next year for Banks) is much much better.

My point is: SOMEBODY reasonably good is going to want the USC job. Banks is in the higher end of DCs. Once things start to shuffle, there's going be some moves made by folks who already have a good job.
Smh. I would be VERY surprised if Banks left for anywhere else at this point.

In my estimation, there's 5 people on this board who want Banks gone. Personally, I think he's an excellent DC. Our defense gets better every year. Replacing him shouldn't even be on Heupel's radar.
And the caliber of Defensive RECRUITS we are bringing in under Banks is something to be darn well ecstatic about. I trust Heupel when he promises that we will be playing ELITE defense at Tennessee

This is how I know people saying Banks needs to go have no idea about defensive football.. goodness

With Alex Grinch getting canned at USC, it opens up a DC position at a high profile school. They've got money and are headed to the B1G, so it'll be a reasonably desired job.

Lincoln Riley needs a strong, "splash" DC hire because USC is not living up to the hype, especially with their defense. I'll bet he's calling some "there's no way they'd leave...." coordinators and might land one.

For us, Grinch isn't someone we'd want, IMO, but as things start to shuffle to fill the USC job and if Heupel is looking to upgrade/make a change, a lot of resumes are probably getting polished up.
Why would Heupel want to get rid of Banks. Banks is not going anywhere.

I bet Coach Hype is super pizzed that our run defense is #1 in the SEC and our pass defense has moved from the 60s nationally in the NCAA last season to the 30s this season. Despite losing our no1 cover corner, the much maligned Hadden halfway through the season (his picks were pivotal)

Banks has done a great job for us, and still is not playing with a full deck of players like he will have in another year or 2. When this 23 and 24 class get rolling we are gonna be really good as the secondary players improve and catch up to the Dline and LineBackers. Guys like Gibson will be starting at corner with great safeties betweem em. GO VOLS

Indeed.

Tenn D Stats.jpeg

With Alex Grinch getting canned at USC, it opens up a DC position at a high profile school. They've got money and are headed to the B1G, so it'll be a reasonably desired job.

Lincoln Riley needs a strong, "splash" DC hire because USC is not living up to the hype, especially with their defense. I'll bet he's calling some "there's no way they'd leave...." coordinators and might land one.

For us, Grinch isn't someone we'd want, IMO, but as things start to shuffle to fill the USC job and if Heupel is looking to upgrade/make a change, a lot of resumes are probably getting polished up.
Why would Heupel want to replace Banks? Banks is doing a fantastic job!

1. Banks is leaving for a head coaching job and he can be selective when he gets ready. 2. Why do people even bring this up? A. Because they are morons

Reactions: FollowTheLeader
This is what I think so many fail to understand about Banks:

Being a DC under Heup isn't exactly an appealing position. If you're not good at what you do, it could be a career ruiner. Our offense is designed to score quick, which puts the defense in a tough position. Our DC is always going to have an uphill battle.

Banks was a very very very good hire with that in mind. And to retain him, and to see what he's done, is exceptional.

I hate the soft zone as much as anyone else, but at the end of the day, it's rarely the defense that causes us to lose when we do (with a few notable exceptions of course)
This is what I think so many fail to understand about Banks:

Being a DC under Heup isn't exactly an appealing position. If you're not good at what you do, it could be a career ruiner. Our offense is designed to score quick, which puts the defense in a tough position. Our DC is always going to have an uphill battle.

Banks was a very very very good hire with that in mind. And to retain him, and to see what he's done, is exceptional.

I hate the soft zone as much as anyone else, but at the end of the day, it's rarely the defense that causes us to lose when we do (with a few notable exceptions of course)
He's slowly getting his pieces. He's an All -SEC safety away from having that final piece , imo. He's good on the front 7 and Hadden has shown his value to this defense. GJL can be that guy, add an elite playmaker on the back end and look out. Imagine having someone like Eric Berry floating around in this zone system. There are plays to be made from the strong and weak side safety in the passing game.

The chances of Banks getting fired after how the defense has improved is probably sitting close to if not directly on 0%.

Banks has shown if he has talent, he can get the defense to perform. Just gotta keep building up the roster.
Agree with this 100%. The defense has improved at every position. As lousy as Martinez has been, we've still seen some improvement with Kamal Hadden. Martinez still needs to go in my opinion but the rest of the D has shown steady improvement all year. We're currently sitting at 21st in the country in total defense ahead of bama (24) and behind Texas A&M (15) and UGA (11), as far as SEC defenses go.

Why did anyone at USC think that Riley was bringing defense? When has ever done that?

You hired an offensive mind that sacrifices his defense for offense. Always has done that, always will. Doesn't matter who he hires for the DC, he only wants offense.

Bet this was not his choice.

VN Store

Back