Alex Grinch out at USC and that might start a DC carrousel if Heupel is looking to replace Banks.

Not so much at risk as opportunities exist for Banks and UT.

Do you agree the vacant USC DC job is going to attract attention from good DCs? Like Banks?

As with Golesh, Heupel has to be ready to replace guys and I think Banks will get a look from Riley because of his B1G experience and his talent.

Not at all. Especially going to the Big Ten. USC will be in world of hurt trying to keep their offensive system while trying recruit big defense type players for Big Ten play.

Banks is not leaving Tennessee for a worse job considering the conference USC is joining. The constant wear and tear of road games will take seasons for them to get accustomed to.

Heupel would commit malpractice by letting Banks leave without an offer on the table to keep him. Especially considering Banks has improved the defense every year here so far.

Not at all. Especially going to the Big Ten. USC will be in world of hurt trying to keep their offensive system while trying recruit big defense type players for Big Ten play.

Banks is not leaving Tennessee for a worse job considering the conference USC is joining. The constant wear and tear of road games will take seasons for them to get accustomed to.

Heupel would commit malpractice by letting Banks leave without an offer on the table to keep him. Especially considering Banks has improved the defense every year here so far.
That's fair but the shake up of DCs because of a major program losing a DC making nearly $2M can't help but draw attention from guys like Banks. He's very familiar with the B1G and what it takes to recruit and win there.

Past that, it just starts "job jumping" because it's a high level assistant position. I don't think there's a lot of programs that could tempt Banks (that don't play on Sunday) but it depends on hard Riley goes who will jump into that job and what it will leave open.

With Alex Grinch getting canned at USC, it opens up a DC position at a high profile school. They've got money and are headed to the B1G, so it'll be a reasonably desired job.

Lincoln Riley needs a strong, "splash" DC hire because USC is not living up to the hype, especially with their defense. I'll bet he's calling some "there's no way they'd leave...." coordinators and might land one.

For us, Grinch isn't someone we'd want, IMO, but as things start to shuffle to fill the USC job and if Heupel is looking to upgrade/make a change, a lot of resumes are probably getting polished up.

With Alex Grinch getting canned at USC, it opens up a DC position at a high profile school. They've got money and are headed to the B1G, so it'll be a reasonably desired job.

Lincoln Riley needs a strong, "splash" DC hire because USC is not living up to the hype, especially with their defense. I'll bet he's calling some "there's no way they'd leave...." coordinators and might land one.

For us, Grinch isn't someone we'd want, IMO, but as things start to shuffle to fill the USC job and if Heupel is looking to upgrade/make a change, a lot of resumes are probably getting polished up.
Good lord

Reactions: FollowTheLeader
Seriously though...I would take Derek Mason as a DC any day, every day, all day.

In his defense though, the play by play color guy wasn't doing him any favors on the broadcast Saturday...LMAO
Mason was Shaw's DC at Stanford when they were running roughshod over the rest of the PAC10 for a few years not so long ago.

Grinch isn't good imo, but he is the scapegoat in this situation. The defense is slow and small. Dbs suck. Bot much you can do with that combination. Whoever the next guy is will largely be relying on the guys Grinch recruited to lead the way. Riley just isn't a good head man and it's my thought that he has always been over inflated

The chances of Banks getting fired after how the defense has improved is probably sitting close to if not directly on 0%.

Banks has shown if he has talent, he can get the defense to perform. Just gotta keep building up the roster.
Agree, useless post to start things off. This doesn’t need to be another Jancek firing. Recognize you have it pretty good and stay the course

I bet Coach Hype is super pizzed that our run defense is #1 in the SEC and our pass defense has moved from the 60s nationally in the NCAA last season to the 30s this season. Despite losing our no1 cover corner, the much maligned Hadden halfway through the season (his picks were pivotal)

Banks has done a great job for us, and still is not playing with a full deck of players like he will have in another year or 2. When this 23 and 24 class get rolling we are gonna be really good as the secondary players improve and catch up to the Dline and LineBackers. Guys like Gibson will be starting at corner with great safeties betweem em. GO VOLS

You want to replace a Coach who's unit has gotten better every year ? Why the ***c not, makes perfect sense.
Okay. I'll admit it.

I googled "profanities that end in c"... "French profanities that end in c"..."4 letter words that end in c"...

Click "Like" if you did, too.

So, I realize you guys are enjoying dragging me on this but here's the short list, apparently, for who will replace Grinch at USC.

I think Leonhard is the front runner.

Do you guys think all of these folks are BETTER than Banks? And if they're not, why wouldn't Riley talk to Banks about the job?

Reactions: tbh
Mason was Shaw's DC at Stanford when they were running roughshod over the rest of the PAC10 for a few years not so long ago.
Wasn't he Harbaughs DC too...or was that Shaw and all Stanford did.was bump everyone up the chain.when Jimmy Cheat left?

So, I realize you guys are enjoying dragging me on this but here's the short list, apparently, for who will replace Grinch at USC.

Do you guys think all of these folks are BETTER than Banks? And if they're not, why wouldn't Riley talk to Banks about the job?

Agreed. Off that list, Leonhard is front runner and then likely Muschamp.

Unless Lynn sees the proverbial wall and bolts UCLA before they show Kelly the door.

USC would be crazy not to at least put out feelers to Banks and any other DC they're remotely interested in. Going off the list (which is conjecture at this point anyhow), I agree that Leonhard seems like his current situation and past experience may make for a fit at USC...but I can't help but think it could be entertaining if Ogre/Muschamp heads west.

Reactions: SayUWantAreVOLution
Just wanted to say, Lincoln Riley is as overrated as any coach in America. Had tons of talent at every place he's been and never won squat.
I wouldn’t be surprised if he jumped to the NFL soon. The longer he stays a head coach in college the longer he goes without winning a college playoff game. Jimbo might win the SEC before Lincoln gets back in the playoffs…

The chances of Banks getting fired after how the defense has improved is probably sitting close to if not directly on 0%.

Banks has shown if he has talent, he can get the defense to perform. Just gotta keep building up the roster.
Yeah they looked fantastic against the mighty UF, and even better against Bama.

Agreed. Off that list, Leonhard is front runner and then likely Muschamp.

Unless Lynn sees the proverbial wall and bolts UCLA before they show Kelly the door.
My thought is Leonhard is the obvious "right now" choice and also the best choice for us in the "shuffle." There's not a position to replace there because he's an analyst.

Muschamp is only co-DC at GA but there's been rumors that Schumann is looking at the NFL, so Kirby might try to go poaching on us.

I've seen Zach Arnett mentioned (I don't think he's on this list) and though it might not be during this year, but if he jumps at the end of the year, Banks might be in the conversation at MS State for the HC.

Banks is a Michigan kid. He's not a UM alum but if Minter left the soon to be fully involved dumpster fire in Michigan, Banks might be drawn to go home. He came to TN. Banks is not afraid of a dumpster fire and rebuild.

I think Lynn should get out of UCLA but he won't and even if he did go to USC, Banks would be an idiot to take that job.

I'm okay with being dragged about this but I'm not convinced like everyone else that Banks won't go anywhere except the NFL or a head coach job. Not everyone has HC aspirations.

Reactions: tbh

VN Store

Back