Alex Grinch out at USC and that might start a DC carrousel if Heupel is looking to replace Banks.

Less we forget that after Pruitt was fired, over 30 players transferred out - many of them defensive players - and that 2021 recruiting class collapsed. Not only did the defense not have star power when Banks took over but there was also no depth. As their recruits are brought in and developed, the defense has rapidly improved year-over-year with the D-Line being the strength of the team. There are still very real talent and depth gaps stemming from the transfer exodus and recruiting class collapse but the player development has been great. Banks has done a tremendous job considering what he had to work with. If there is a change at DC, its because Banks accepted a HC job. Even if that were to happen, I am not completely sure that they hire an external candidate as DC. I think they would take strong look at Brian Jean-Mary first.

Reactions: FollowTheLeader
Why did anyone at USC think that Riley was bringing defense? When has ever done that?

You hired an offensive mind that sacrifices his defense for offense. Always has done that, always will. Doesn't matter who he hires for the DC, he only wants offense.

Bet this was not his choice.
Gonna be funny when Riley bolts from that job in a couple years.... He spurred LSU because he didn't want to be in the SEC and bolted OU once it was clear they would be moving to the SEC and now he's going to be moving to the Big Ten..... I easily see him making jump to NFL soon.

Gonna be funny when Riley bolts from that job in a couple years.... He spurred LSU because he didn't want to be in the SEC and bolted OU once it was clear they would be moving to the SEC and now he's going to be moving to the Big Ten..... I easily see him making jump to NFL soon.
I wouldn't be surprised to see Davis hire him at the Raiders.

I will say this about Banks. If I am wrong please correct me. But I think I heard that the 3 defensive TDs we scored against UCONN was the first time in school history that that’s been done. If that’s true, that’s big time impressive.

Reactions: FollowTheLeader
With Alex Grinch getting canned at USC, it opens up a DC position at a high profile school. They've got money and are headed to the B1G, so it'll be a reasonably desired job.

Lincoln Riley needs a strong, "splash" DC hire because USC is not living up to the hype, especially with their defense. I'll bet he's calling some "there's no way they'd leave...." coordinators and might land one.

For us, Grinch isn't someone we'd want, IMO, but as things start to shuffle to fill the USC job and if Heupel is looking to upgrade/make a change, a lot of resumes are probably getting polished up.
Why would we want to replace Banks? We are number 1 rush defense I. The SEC!

He’s doing an outstanding job!

I’m curious to know by all the EXPERTS on VN what the definition of great defense looks like? I mean it has to be as good as all the experts on our offense!

This is what I think so many fail to understand about Banks:

Being a DC under Heup isn't exactly an appealing position. If you're not good at what you do, it could be a career ruiner. Our offense is designed to score quick, which puts the defense in a tough position. Our DC is always going to have an uphill battle.

Banks was a very very very good hire with that in mind. And to retain him, and to see what he's done, is exceptional.

I hate the soft zone as much as anyone else, but at the end of the day, it's rarely the defense that causes us to lose when we do (with a few notable exceptions of course)
Did you watch ANY games this year.....

The chances of Banks getting fired after how the defense has improved is probably sitting close to if not directly on 0%.

Banks has shown if he has talent, he can get the defense to perform. Just gotta keep building up the roster.

I dunno man. Aside from from d line ( CRG group) this defense is depressing.

VN Store

Back