Alex Grinch out at USC and that might start a DC carrousel if Heupel is looking to replace Banks.

SayUWantAreVOLution

With Alex Grinch getting canned at USC, it opens up a DC position at a high profile school. They've got money and are headed to the B1G, so it'll be a reasonably desired job.

Lincoln Riley needs a strong, "splash" DC hire because USC is not living up to the hype, especially with their defense. I'll bet he's calling some "there's no way they'd leave...." coordinators and might land one.

For us, Grinch isn't someone we'd want, IMO, but as things start to shuffle to fill the USC job and if Heupel is looking to upgrade/make a change, a lot of resumes are probably getting polished up.

With Alex Grinch getting canned at USC, it opens up a DC position at a high profile school. They've got money and are headed to the B1G, so it'll be a reasonably desired job.

Lincoln Riley needs a strong, "splash" DC hire because USC is not living up to the hype, especially with their defense. I'll bet he's calling some "there's no way they'd leave...." coordinators and might land one.

For us, Grinch isn't someone we'd want, IMO, but as things start to shuffle to fill the USC job and if Heupel is looking to upgrade/make a change, a lot of resumes are probably getting polished up.
bruh

The chances of Banks getting fired after how the defense has improved is probably sitting close to if not directly on 0%.

Banks has shown if he has talent, he can get the defense to perform. Just gotta keep building up the roster.
Not necessarily fired, but Banks may be polishing his resume too. He might get an offer or look around himself if things start to percolate.

Schumann at GA supposedly interviewed for an NFL spot and Riley might come at him with a bucket of money. Kevin Steele at Bama jumped from LSU to Auburn for money and he might get a call.

If somebody jumps, the whole pile may start to shuffle.

This is what I think so many fail to understand about Banks:

Being a DC under Heup isn't exactly an appealing position. If you're not good at what you do, it could be a career ruiner. Our offense is designed to score quick, which puts the defense in a tough position. Our DC is always going to have an uphill battle.

Banks was a very very very good hire with that in mind. And to retain him, and to see what he's done, is exceptional.

I hate the soft zone as much as anyone else, but at the end of the day, it's rarely the defense that causes us to lose when we do (with a few notable exceptions of course)

This is what I think so many fail to understand about Banks:

Being a DC under Heup isn't exactly an appealing position. If you're not good at what you do, it could be a career ruiner. Our offense is designed to score quick, which puts the defense in a tough position. Our DC is always going to have an uphill battle.

Banks was a very very very good hire with that in mind. And to retain him, and to see what he's done, is exceptional.

I hate the soft zone as much as anyone else, but at the end of the day, it's rarely the defense that causes us to lose when we do (with a few notable exceptions of course)
Tim Banks is up there with Casey Clausen on a list of under-appreciated Vols. The amount of vitriol he continues to get, even after victories, boggles my mind.

A quick search shows that there are currently no Defensive Coordinators making $2mil a year. Banks makes $1.4mil before any bonuses. I don't see him leaving Knoxville for an incremental raise or a lateral move. Besides, he has put in so much hard work to get the Vols D to where they are today, I just don't see him leaving to start over when he's so close to breaking through as one of the premier DCs and possibly a HC in the near future.

Maybe USC can offer $2mil or more, but I doubt they would for Banks. Could be wrong.

This is tiresome.

A quick search shows that there are currently no Defensive Coordinators making $2mil a year. Banks makes $1.4mil before any bonuses. I don't see him leaving Knoxville for an incremental raise or a lateral move. Besides, he has put in so much hard work to get the Vols D to where they are today, I just don't see him leaving to start over when he's so close to breaking through as one of the premier DCs and possibly a HC in the near future.

Maybe USC can offer $2mil or more, but I doubt they would for Banks. Could be wrong.
Grinch made $1.8, I think. Granted CA sucks enough that $1.5 (next year for Banks) is much much better.

My point is: SOMEBODY reasonably good is going to want the USC job. Banks is in the higher end of DCs. Once things start to shuffle, there's going be some moves made by folks who already have a good job.

Reactions: Smokey19rt
Grinch made $1.8, I think. Granted CA sucks enough that $1.5 (next year for Banks) is much much better.

My point is: SOMEBODY reasonably good is going to want the USC job. Banks is in the higher end of DCs. Once things start to shuffle, there's going be some moves made by folks who already have a good job.
I agree that the coaching carousel will create a void. I just don't see Banks leaving for a lateral move or what would equate to a six figure raise, especially in a contract year.

Banks' contract is up in 2024, so if the Vols want him to stay, DW and Heup will reward him for his hard work and the VAST improvement by the D. That will essentially negate any raise he might get by leaving UT.

I would be willing to bet Banks could make north of $2mil with bonuses (SECCG/CFP appearance) in his new contract.

I agree that the coaching carousel will create a void. I just don't see Banks leaving for a lateral move or what would equate to a six figure raise, especially in a contract year.

Banks' contract is up in 2024, so if the Vols want him to stay, DW and Heup will reward him for his hard work and the VAST improvement by the D. That will essentially negate any raise he might get by leaving UT.

I would be willing to bet Banks could make north of $2mil with bonuses (SECCG/CFP appearance) in his new contract.
I think that's very possible, depending on how much the USC vacancy ups DC salaries. Riley might try to get someone from the NFL and some of these good DCs might be looking to move there as a career path, possibly even Banks.

I'm not being anti-Banks but the USC opening and their profile and money is the kind of opening that will get the attention of elite DCs and someone good and already making good money will take it and need to be replaced at their school.

Banks, because of his work at UT, is going to be in the conversation when good DC jobs open up whether we like it or not.

I think Banks is too prone to miscalculations in his game plans. That said, it is far more likely that he leaves for an HC or NFL job than terminated. His "averages" are good. It is the sporadic failures that make him frustrating.

That said, UT has a couple of CBs that look to have more talent than any of the veterans. Just need some seasoning. Great cover guys make DCs look like geniuses.

VN Store

Back