A telling quote from CBJ

I havent watched Richmond's vids ans since I dont live around Memphis I've never seen him play. Will he really help next year or is everbody just hoping he can come in and help immediately.

I missed the scheme that allows you to win with an awful o-line.

There are definitely some problems with the offensive coaching staff but people think there is some magic play book or scheme that take the O line completely out of the picture and that is simply not true. No coordinator can compensate for our youth and lack of talent on the line.

There are definitely some problems with the offensive coaching staff but people think there is some magic play book or scheme that take the O line completely out of the picture and that is simply not true. No coordinator can compensate for our youth and lack of talent on the line.

No, they think there are plays that minimize the effect of that weakness. And they're right.

We have 26 commitments. I've been saying all along we need at least 6 or 7 lineman and a couple of them need to be JUCO's. Tired of seeing how we got another commitment from a 5 ft 8 170 pound athlete. We've got enough of those already!!! Make room for some big men. Why do we have such a hard time getting big men? Frustrated!
Fulmer struggled recruit tackles towards the end of his tenure. Tennessee doesn't seem to produce a lot of SEC caliber linemen and for whatever reason it seems like other programs do pretty good at coming in state and taking them. That's why signing Tiny was such a big deal. I don't know why we don't grow 'em big in Tennessee. Maybe with the flood of transplants coming to Nashville we'll get some favorable stock in out gene pool over the next couple of decades.

No, they think there are plays that minimize the effect of that weakness. And they're right.

Yeah, they're called screens, draws, reverses, and quick routes which is all that we are able to run. Any play that takes longer than 2 seconds to develop are completely thrown out of the playbook. That eliminates so many options in the passing game, coupled with our inability to run the ball doesn't leave much else to run.

"I am a realist, the only way to fix this is through recruiting"

That tells me this offensive line has hit the wall, they simply aren't talented enough to truly compete and will not be, what that also tells me is o-line will not be a strength next year either and with a less experienced QB we may continue to struggle. We HAVE to pickup guys like Richmond who can compete immediately.

Yeah, I am sure we changed his mind:)

I think the main gripe is that it's obvious our OL is not progressing with the zone blocking scheme and many people believe we'd be better off telling our guys to just put a hat on a hat. We might get pushed back but at least we'd see Worley get an extra couple of seconds before the pocket collapses and that might make a difference. Or we can just keep doing the same thing that obviously doesn't work.

That tells me this offensive line has hit the wall, they simply aren't talented enough to truly compete and will not be, what that also tells me is o-line will not be a strength next year either and with a less experienced QB we may continue to struggle. We HAVE to pickup guys like Richmond who can compete immediately.

It tells me that under no circumstance will CBJ ever be critical of coaching. Ever.

Reactions: 1 person
Amen, brother.

This crap is how we got where we are now! I have coached football, not at this level but none the less! When you are out manned up front there is very little you can do to move the ball. You do realize we gave up 7 sacks and rushed for no yards... Go ahead call a play that works when 3 of the 5 linemen are getting beat on every play. CBJ did not do that to our team...he inherited that! Maybe a few JUCO kids can help but for every juco we get we have to have a freshmen to go with him or we are here again in 3 years. The real skilled positions are the kids who play with their hand on the ground and thats a FACT! i have coached oline and dline for years. Its more than just lining up and blocking my friend! Technique and learned skills over time make good linemen! If we had just sophs or some jrs who had been around regardless of overall strength we would be much better. Add in the grind of SEC play with a few injuries. D coaches knowing and having film on what we do good and bad is catching up with us. GO VOLS!

This quote tells me he has basically told all the seniors and some juniors, go f*$k yourselves, I have given up on you. As much as I may agree we are hurting bad talent wise, you don't release a quote like this and throw your players underneath the bus. That is what Butch just did. Hope these kids don't quit on him now.

Playing 22 freshmen.....3 on the O-Line to boot, is a very certain way to get your a$$ kicked......a lot. It is what it is folks. Next year will be much better.

This quote tells me he has basically told all the seniors and some juniors, go f*$k yourselves, I have given up on you. As much as I may agree we are hurting bad talent wise, you don't release a quote like this and throw your players underneath the bus. That is what Butch just did. Hope these kids don't quit on him now.

He was talking about the o line...what senior and jrs! Thats the problem! They are not in our program! Dools took no linemen one year and very few the next! If those kids where there we would not be having this discussion!

Playing 22 freshmen.....3 on the O-Line to boot, is a very certain way to get your a$$ kicked......a lot. It is what it is folks. Next year will be much better.

Play scheme ain't helping either. Lack of talent magnifies bad play calling. Good talent hides bad play calling.

Play scheme ain't helping either. Lack of talent magnifies bad play calling. Good talent hides bad play calling.

I saw a post talking about putting a hat on a hat.... watch the game and look how many times we got beat hat on hat sat night. The play call has little to do with our success or failure! What play would you call when they rush 4 and drop 8...a run...we have and got no where because we are getting beat hat on hat. The positive yard plays we are getting is when they rush and Worley gets enough time to get the ball away...not very often. Which puts us in 3rd 8 3rd 10 FACT!

I saw a post talking about putting a hat on a hat.... watch the game and look how many times we got beat hat on hat sat night. The play call has little to do with our success or failure! What play would you call when they rush 4 and drop 8...a run...we have and got no where because we are getting beat hat on hat. The positive yard plays we are getting is when they rush and Worley gets enough time to get the ball away...not very often. Which puts us in 3rd 8 3rd 10 FACT!

Our delayed running game is working well with this OL. And playing to our pass blocking strength will be key going forward.

It also tells me he is not willing to change schemes to accomodate for some of the talent deficiencies. This is where I have a major problem with the direction this team is headed this season and future seasons. A staff must know how to make adjustments. To date I have not seen any.

This. CBJ can recruit, but this isn't Cincinnati where you're the five hundred pound gorilla and can have better talent than everyone else in your conference. The best you can hope for in the SEC is parity even if you're a top 5 recruiting class. You have to be able to scheme as well, and on offense after a year and a half, we have not shown that we can do that.

What's even scarier is that he does not seem to acknowledge the elephant in the room, it's not just the players but the coaching that is the problem on O.

I'm family friends with the parents of a top OL recruit (HS not Juco). They said that two different SEC schools had used Blair's lack of development as a knock on attending UT. (I don't know what exactly they said, but were apparently saying along the lines of "Blair should have been able to walk in and play at any school with quality coaching before moving on to the NFL).

I'm sure this is very common in recruiting, I just thought it was interesting to hear what other coaches were using against us at the moment.

I'm family friends with the parents of a top OL recruit (HS not Juco). They said that two different SEC schools had used Blair's lack of development as a knock on attending UT. (I don't know what exactly they said, but were apparently saying along the lines of "Blair should have been able to walk in and play at any school with quality coaching before moving on to the NFL).

I'm sure this is very common in recruiting, I just thought it was interesting to hear what other coaches were using against us at the moment.

Those techniques are as old as recruiting. Bet we would be shocked to hear what our staff says about other programs to recruits.

Those techniques are as old as recruiting. Bet we would be shocked to hear what our staff says about other programs to recruits.

I'm sure you are right, and to be fair the kid wasn't likely to attend UT anyway because of connections elsewhere. I just thought it was interesting.

Anyone who thinks the oline will be a strength next year is deluded. Sadly, next year looks to be another year watering the bamboo bricks or something.

This is true but I was astounded at the number of posters that said pre-season that this OLine, while not as talented as last year's would be better because they didn't have the egos or expectations of years past. It's amazing how some posters have such little grasp of reality.

That's nothing but a pitiful excuse from Butch. Other coaches have gotten better turn around results with supposedly poor talent. Case in point, look at Hugh Freeze. Also, in the case of our OL, look at Kiffin's 1 year here, he had two walk-ons starting yet we had an OL coach that coached them up.

It's starting to look like Butch is just an excuse maker, instead of taking responsibility to fix the poor offensive coaching problem.
Butch says the same ole crap, each & every week. We are getting damn tired of hearing the "used car salesman" pitch. Piss or get off the pot, Butchie. Keanu Reeves, Jr. couldn't QB for Pellisippi College. Bayankian is at best a mid-level HS coordinator. Damn, we suck....

I'm sure you are right, and to be fair the kid wasn't likely to attend UT anyway because of connections elsewhere. I just thought it was interesting.

It is interesting. I would love to be a fly on the wall at some of these top 5 in the nation recruit's homes.

VN Store

Back