A telling quote from CBJ

JC guys are hit and miss, and I think CBJ may be worried that even more experience is not going to help some of these guys get better. So, next year -- we've got these same guys and probably playing a frosh at QB. I think we're looking at 2016 to start winning again. It could be another long season next year.
Bo Wallace is a JUCO guy who took a while to find his maturity; looks like Freeze knew what to do with him to plug a hole needed to move Ole Miss needle off mediocre setting.

Not going to fix it quick recruiting high school kids. Gonna have to go after some JUCO guys to get immediate improvement, then suppliment with high schoolers.
the JUCOguys won't make us top notch instantly, but honestly, our d is so good that even a modest bump on offense skill would have won us 3 of our 4 loses.

Last edited:
If I were him I would fill all remaining slots in this class with juco O lineman. Not sure why Blair is on the bench, but we need guys that can compete and play right away.

There are only two o linemen from juco that are playing at top d 1 schools right now. Juco isn't the answer

Anyone who thinks the oline will be a strength next year is deluded. Sadly, next year looks to be another year watering the bamboo bricks or something.

Our tackles look like they could start for some lower level D3 schools. Just saying if we have to resort to putting a kid in with a torn ACL, because he's the best option. It's not pretty.

We have a consensus 4* JUCO on the OL.

He's just on the bench.

Is is scouting or coaching that is the problem? Given the fact that FSU, Auburn and TAMU all wanted him, I'll assume it's the latter.

There were a few higher rated Juco OL that aren't playing either. The thing with Juco OL is they don't play against top tier tallent and they have to come in and learn new schemes which is difficult for Juco guys.

People hating on Butch or don't like him are lost and don't understand football
"Everyone wants the prize, no one wants the process" CBJ this my friends is the process, playing 22 freshman

That's nothing but a pitiful excuse from Butch. Other coaches have gotten better turn around results with supposedly poor talent. Case in point, look at Hugh Freeze. Also, in the case of our OL, look at Kiffin's 1 year here, he had two walk-ons starting yet we had an OL coach that coached them up.

It's starting to look like Butch is just an excuse maker, instead of taking responsibility to fix the poor offensive coaching problem.

Pretty sure I've heard some of the so called VN realists use it. Season is barely half over, I got a lot more optimism.

We have 26 commitments. I've been saying all along we need at least 6 or 7 lineman and a couple of them need to be JUCO's. Tired of seeing how we got another commitment from a 5 ft 8 170 pound athlete. We've got enough of those already!!! Make room for some big men. Why do we have such a hard time getting big men? Frustrated!

Guys we have a talent gap up front. Like CBJ says the offensive line is a developmental position. It's not a coincidence that the teams that have beat us have veteran front 7's. The exception is UGA. I do not care if your ideal 18 year old freshman is a 5* or a 6* four years in a weight program, the game slowing down, and experience wins every time. Also Dobbs isn't inexperienced. There's just no need killing our future QB this year while developing this o-line

I've been pretty well convinces that the Offensive staff is not good enough to coach in this league. Defensive staff is fine. Even though Butch is a hard worker I don't think he can make the changes needed in the offensive side of the staff. They have been with him too long. That is a weakness in his long term success. AS far as I am concerned, making excuses for the offensive performance is not acceptable. Football is not rocket science and making the process to improvement too complicated is just a lack of coaching talent.

That's cause 75% of the offensive staff has spent considerable time in the SEC before coming to UT and Stripling made a career in the Big 10. The offensive staff is predominantly made up of coaches with little more than MAC experience.

"I am a realist, the only way to fix this is through recruiting"

That tells me this offensive line has hit the wall, they simply aren't talented enough to truly compete and will not be, what that also tells me is o-line will not be a strength next year either and with a less experienced QB we may continue to struggle. We HAVE to pickup guys like Richmond who can compete immediately.

No doubt that there is a talent issue for this team and they have to recruit better players.

The problem is that other SEC programs aren't going to stop recruiting for themselves and allow Jones and company time to catch up.

It's painfully apparent by now that the offensive staff isn't going to be able to do anything to help catch up from a scheme standpoint either.

Reactions: 2 people
It also tells me he is not willing to change schemes to accomodate for some of the talent deficiencies. This is where I have a major problem with the direction this team is headed this season and future seasons. A staff must know how to make adjustments. To date I have not seen any.

I missed the scheme that allows you to win with an awful o-line.

So you're saying Ole Miss has poor talent? :crazy:

No. I'm saying they had poor talent when Freeze took over yet it didn't stop him from getting better results in his 1st two years than Butch is getting. Plus Ole Miss has been playing in the tougher SEC west.

The bottom line is that Butch has not shown us much at all on the field in 2 years aside from an upset of USC last year. (Close losses don't count). He's got to start showing more results and an ability to get players to improve and overachieve.

Some peeps don't understand this and if you keep saying that they still don't..

Also funny after posted this.. Collingsworth said talking bout SF OLine "when they're coming from all directions it's nothing you can do."

It just makes sense..

I can find 5 easily Vandy Kentucky (loss by more than us to a worse LSU team) and I think I can see South Carolina as 6

Also funny after posted this.. Collingsworth said talking bout SF OLine "when they're coming from all directions it's nothing you can do."

It just makes sense..

I'm with you but Worley threw 2 picks without oline assistance. Then we had a special teams turnover. Ole Miss D was the spark our Oline was the fuel and Worley was a nice gust of wind.

Reactions: 1 person
Anyone who thinks the oline will be a strength next year is deluded. Sadly, next year looks to be another year watering the bamboo bricks or something.

You have stated your claim. Now back it up with proof coach.

Provide evidence that this OL cannot improve.

We have 26 commitments. I've been saying all along we need at least 6 or 7 lineman and a couple of them need to be JUCO's. Tired of seeing how we got another commitment from a 5 ft 8 170 pound athlete. We've got enough of those already!!! Make room for some big men. Why do we have such a hard time getting big men? Frustrated!

Tell it!

If I were him I would fill all remaining slots in this class with juco O lineman. Not sure why Blair is on the bench, but we need guys that can compete and play right away.

Hate to break this to you and all of VN but just because a guy is good in Juco doesn't mean he can play for crap in the SEC. Blair obviously was not ready if he couldn't break in with the 1's with this group!

:thud:

Tennesseeduke

VN Store

Back