A Fair Expectation for Coach Dooley.

You 9 and 10 win people are just ****ing stupid..guess they'll run an internet wire to anybody with 25 dollars..too bad
Going into year 3 and returning what this team is returning, it's much more reasonable to expect 9 wins than 6.

if we win 7 and show improvement on both sides of the ball.i think dooley keeps his job.that means,playing the whole game tight in our hardest games.theres no such thing as a moral victory but close games with our biggest rivals would help dooley.

I just puked a little bit in my mouth.

You 9 and 10 win people are just ****ing stupid..guess they'll run an internet wire to anybody with 25 dollars..too bad

If you don't think we can win 9 games with this schedule, then you've already given up on UT football and probably on life as well. You should probably stop posting.

Reactions: 3 people
I remember how long it took to get this program back on track after Bill Battle left. It's easy to pick games in April. What matters is where we are in December.

Great idea.

So we'll all come back in December and talk about how many wins we'll have. That will be a real interesting thread.

Reactions: 1 person
(1) You're kidding...right? I hope so. With what CDD started with at ground zero I don't think there is another coach in the nation that would come out of year two any better off.

(2) I'd like to see 10 or more wins myself but we have to be realistic considering the relative program age. He needs at least one more year even if the team only wins 7 or 8.

(3)
If you're really tired of it all, go support another team and coach.

(1)
Yeah, I doubt any coach in the nation could have game-planned to beat the mighty Wildcats of Kentucky.

(2)
Right, he needs to get one more year to prove that he is in fact a horrendous coach. 7 wins? Are you making a joke?

(3)
If you are willing to accept perpetual mediocrity for my alma mater -- which is historically a top ten football program in the country -- then I would urge you to go support another team and coach. A team doesn't rise back to prominence unless the fanbase demands it. I have no interest in supporting a football program that isn't constantly striving for excellence.

I'm sorry that you're okay with UT being a poor man's Clemson. I'm not. So go root for Clemson. I want my program to kick ass and take names.

Reactions: 6 people
9 wins or else. As far as I am concerned Dooley is at .500 minus 3 games that he lost, not the team.

LSU 2010
UNC 2010
UK 2011

Other than that he has not won a game or lost a game that was not expected. You could almost make him -4 with the debacle with UAB in 2010 barely winning in overtime against a much lesser opponent.

We knew in the UK game that he had lost this team on the field but after the GPA exposure I think he lost the team completely. Then you have to wonder about almost a whole staff of assistants scrambling like rats in a burning barn.

After this season the administration is going to have to make some tough decisions about the future of UT football. Are we going to spend some money and get a quality coach or will we be satisfied being the Ole Miss of the East?

(1)
Yeah, I doubt any coach in the nation could have game-planned to beat the mighty Wildcats of Kentucky.

(2)
Right, he needs to get one more year to prove that he is in fact a horrendous coach. 7 wins? Are you making a joke?

(3)
If you are willing to accept perpetual mediocrity for my alma mater -- which is historically a top ten football program in the country -- then I would urge you to go support another team and coach. A team doesn't rise back to prominence unless the fanbase demands it. I have no interest in supporting a football program that isn't constantly striving for excellence.

I'm sorry that you're okay with UT being a poor man's Clemson. I'm not. So go root for Clemson. I want my program to kick ass and take names.

AMEN brother!!!!!!!!!!!

(1)

(2)

(3)

If I could like this more than once I would. Best post in VN history.

But the team had injuries and no depth and Bray had a temperature of 104 and a broken thumb. You can't tell me that the best thing to do would have been to a. recognize Bray was really sick, and b. start Worley instead who would have won us that game? That is coaching malpractice to not recognize a player with 104 temp and replace him for that game.

Nothing I saw last year would have made me believe that either simms or worley would have done any better.

I don't think there is this big lack of talent that some seem to think. We don't have the depth we need, but I absolutely think we have enough talent that failing to beat any of Florida, Georgia, and South Carolina would be a poor coaching job.

Reactions: 1 person
I'll be disappointed if we dont finish in the top 25. However, I could see having a nine win season and not cracking it.

I'd rather set my expectations on what the team does, not on what some idjit coaches/journalists/computers think.

But yea, im expecting a top 25 finish.

btw we're gonna smack SC silly. Those guys are going back to where they belong, the bottom of the heap.

(1)
Kiffin had an "all star" staff and managed 7 wins with a more talented and experienced roster. Due to the 3 consecutive recruiting class busts, the last two years were going to be tough no matter who the coach was. Game plan? Game plans count for what if you do not have players who execute? Game planning for your talented QB to hit open WR's then having him not do it is somehow a failure of the gameplan?

(2)
If you are making the claim that the results with what he's had to work with his first two years proves him a "horrendous coach" then you ARE a joke.

(3)
If you are willing to accept perpetual mediocrity for my alma mater -- which is historically a top ten football program in the country -- then I would urge you to go support another team and coach. A team doesn't rise back to prominence unless the fanbase demands it.
Back to the fallacy of limited alternatives I see. Accepting that moving a program from where it was to championship form within the rules will take more than 2 years IS NOT acceptance of perpetual mediocrity.
I have no interest in supporting a football program that isn't constantly striving for excellence.
Dooley may fail. He may not be capable. But he is certainly "striving" to win. Those of us who are rational and realistic also desire excellence... we just don't believe it comes just because. It requires building... and in the case of UT... alot of building.

I want my program to kick ass and take names.

All of us do. Some of us just realize that doesn't happen because you stomp your feet and pitch a tantrum. It happens because you support the BUILDING of the program and yes expect improvement within a REASONABLE span of time.

Reactions: 2 people
I don't think there is this big lack of talent that some seem to think. We don't have the depth we need, but I absolutely think we have enough talent that failing to beat any of Florida, Georgia, and South Carolina would be a poor coaching job.

Disagree on UGA. They're loaded. I think UT should beat UF though the net talent is pretty similar. UT is more talented than USCe.

We will know after this season if Dooley can coach or if his plan has worked or is going to work.

with the lack of talent, 8 wins this year would be OK.

UT has the talent to win 9+. IMO, if Dooley is "the guy" they will.

I think 8 or even 7 wins probably gets him another year. But if he has 7 wins, he better pull off a miracle in '13.

(1)

(2)

(3)

Eloquent as always. This is the attitude it takes to take the prom queen home instead of settling for a 2 bagger at closing time. Glad there are still UT fans out there that aren't willing to let our rivals deliver perpetual kicks to our groins and continue to thank them for it.

This attitude brings a tear to my eye for 2 reasons: 1. I am reminded of the way a UT fan's attititude should be and 2. I am saddened that there are those out there that embrace the recent past or marginal improvement as acceptable.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back