A Fair Expectation for Coach Dooley.

Expecting Excellence from a group of Freshmen and Sophomores in the SEC the past 2 yrs. = Unreasonable Expectations.

Want in one hand and crap in the other one and see which one fills up first.

Your hopes and dreams have been dashed the past few years... I understand. This season you should ''expect'' a much better team... May even get a bit of excellence drizzled in there for a change. And it will be due to the fact that we finally have some ''Horses'' .... Not because JayVol demanded excellence. Its about your bedtime son... Go get washed up.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

[Mocking.....slow.......clap]

Never took home the prom queen, huh?

I give Dooley credit in recruiting. Not a bad job at all. I agree we still need to do even better to get back to winning championships.

Good post all around, my friend.

He has recruited pretty well. He sold starting spots and being able to walk right in to the 2 deep right away and that open the door to some good talent.

Now he has to prove he can develop players, and win at a high level to make the jump from good recruiting to great recruiting. If he doesn't accomplish 1 or both of the above he's gonna have a hard time every reaching the level expected here.

He has recruited pretty well. He sold starting spots and being able to walk right in to the 2 deep right away and that open the door to some good talent.

Now he has to prove he can develop players, and win at a high level to make the jump from good recruiting to great recruiting. If he doesn't accomplish 1 or both of the above he's gonna have a hard time every reaching the level expected here.

You are a gentleman and a scholar.

My opinion.

Bama will field a better team than UT. We have enough players now and playing at home this game should not be a runaway in the 2nd half as it was last year.

UGA will field a better team but not to the extent of Bama. Playing on the road I expect this game to be similar to the Bama game in score.

USCe will field a slightly better team (assuming Lattimore is back full strength) If we plan well and adjust during the game well this is a game we can win.

UF and UT are pretty equal in talent across the board. UF is better in some places, UT in others. Being at home, there is no reason UT can not win this game.

The USCe (and UGA to a lesser degree) game is the chance to out plan and out play a slightly better team on the road and would be a very solid win.

The rest, IMO UT fields a better team and should win.

NCST and UF will tell you where this team is going. Its gonna be the first steps in one of two directions. Hopefully its the right way.

Reactions: 1 person
My opinion.

Bama will field a better team than UT. We have enough players now and playing at home this game should not be a runaway in the 2nd half as it was last year.

UGA will field a better team but not to the extent of Bama. Playing on the road I expect this game to be similar to the Bama game in score.

USCe will field a slightly better team (assuming Lattimore is back full strength) If we plan well and adjust during the game well this is a game we can win.

UF and UT are pretty equal in talent across the board. UF is better in some places, UT in others. Being at home, there is no reason UT can not win this game.

The USCe (and UGA to a lesser degree) game is the chance to out plan and out play a slightly better team on the road and would be a very solid win.

The rest, IMO UT fields a better team and should win.

NCST and UF will tell you where this team is going. Its gonna be the first steps in one of two directions. Hopefully its the right way.

Completely agree. Solid post

Im being serious. We will get 4 wins for sure and there are 1 maybe 2 maybes. We finish 4 wins in my opinion. CDD fired after NCST blows us out in ATL 44-6 and UF blows us out at home 53-3.

Im being stupid. We will get 4 wins for sure and there are 1 maybe 2 maybes. We finish 4 wins in my opinion. CDD fired after NCST blows us out in ATL 44-6 and UF blows us out at home 53-3.

FYP, no way that we get four wins or that NC State "blows" us out in Atlanta. You obviously don't know anything about them if you think they will

I wonder if Alabama fans were sitting around in 2006 talking about patience, stability, and other garbage. And that's with Shula actually dealing with severe NCAA issues and having a 10 win season, too.

Even the Bammers gave Shula into his 4th year to rebuild.

I think we can bottom line all of this by saying that Dooley has to show significant improvement to justify getting a 4th year. We don't know if that is 7, 8, or 9 wins, but one thing is for sure, another showing like last year, and he will be gone, whether its fair or not.

Here is what I have thought all along in regards to Dooley and I think most Vols fans would agree.
2010- I expected 4 to 6 wins and that is what we got. (Probably should have been better honestly, LSU, UNC) I was optimistic about Dooley after the season.

2011- I thought 6 to 8 was gonna be attainable, but this team was poorly coached. That showed when our best player went down. He wasn't there to mask our deficiencies, therefore we looked like we hadn't even been through spring ball. Dooley has been losing me every since the UK game.

2012- I have though all along that this should be a 7 to 9 win season, perhaps more. The Kentucky loss and Dooley perhaps not being able to coach is not gonna change my expectations for the Vols. Significant improvement has to be shown in order to keep him on as our coach.

I think we can bottom line all of this by saying that Dooley has to show significant improvement to justify getting a 4th year. We don't know if that is 7, 8, or 9 wins, but one thing is for sure, another showing like last year, and he will be gone, whether its fair or not.

Here is what I have thought all along in regards to Dooley and I think most Vols fans would agree.
2010- I expected 4 to 6 wins and that is what we got. (Probably should have been better honestly, LSU, UNC) I was optimistic about Dooley after the season.

2011- I thought 6 to 8 was gonna be attainable, but this team was poorly coached. That showed when our best player went down. He wasn't there to mask our deficiencies, therefore we looked like we hadn't even been through spring ball. Dooley has been losing me every since the UK game.

2012- I have though all along that this should be a 7 to 9 win season, perhaps more. The Kentucky loss and Dooley perhaps not being able to coach is not gonna change my expectations for the Vols. Significant improvement has to be shown in order to keep him on as our coach.

2010-I expected 6, and while I certainly wasn't sold on Dooley, I was optimistic given the two close losses we had. In 2010, it was much easier to sympathize with close games at half turning into blowouts.

2011- I certainly wasn't expecting big things, but I did want to see improvement in terms of the record and production on the field. I wanted to see Tennessee start competing throughout the games instead of for half the game. I wanted to see Dooley prove to me he could compete with the big boys. I wanted to see him win a game where he didn't have a talent advantage. I saw nothing.

While it's understandable that everyone has different opinions about what constitutes a 'fair' expectation, I think it's very important that people judge Dooley based on the expectations they had when he was hired. It's perfectly reasonable to temporarily lower expectations for a coach who inherits a bad situation. It's simply not acceptable to lower expectations because he fails to live up to the expectations you already had.

In other words, when we judge Dooley's overall coaching performance this season, we should consider the fact that he inherited a bad situation. However, we have to ask ourselves a simple question: Are we seeing the progress we would expect from a competent coach in his third season at the winningest program in college football over the 85 year period prior to his arrival?

While it's understandable that everyone has different opinions about what constitutes a 'fair' expectation, I think it's very important that people judge Dooley based on the expectations they had when he was hired. It's perfectly reasonable to temporarily lower expectations for a coach who inherits a bad situation. It's simply not acceptable to lower expectations because he fails to live up to the expectations you already had.

In other words, when we judge Dooley's overall coaching performance this season, we should consider the fact that he inherited a bad situation. However, we have to ask ourselves a simple question: Are we seeing the progress we would expect from a competent coach in his third season at the winningest program in college football over the 85 year period prior to his arrival?

IMO Dooley will be a competent coach because he can recruit. As of right now, I don't see him as a national championship coach, but it is still young in his career. The fanbase will and should accept 8,9,10 win seasons, but if that is Dooley's ceiling, he will need to go.

dooley will get at least 2 more years to rebuild, unless the team goes downhill big in 2012.

VN Store

Back