4th quarter play calling!

Let me ask u this fellow posters.....do you think any of the four "playoff coaches" would've called the 4th quarter the way Butch and Co. did????? I rest my case.

Oregon did in the fourth quarter, just so happened that FSU was so done they were still getting gashed on clock plays.

Oregon did in the fourth quarter, just so happened that FSU was so done they were still getting gashed on clock plays.

This Oregon let up but FSU had quit so still gave up big plays and did nothing on offensive. Iowa didn't stop playing so they got a couple of cheap ones late.

I'm sure the fans at the game are satisfied, it just seems that some of the ones sitting at home can't be.

Yeah it appears the da's didn't pay attention to us playing freshman and seniors who don't get to play. But yeah let the sit at home op complain for the fans who are still there in the 4th quarter not getting their money's worth. Off season already here.

Looking at the Hawkeye boards they were mad at the 4th quarter play calling too. They said once we started just running the ball it was like we were "patting them on the head and saying good try" lol

I saw that too. Pretty funny.

Dumb thread imo. I respect CBJ for allowing has many members of his team get a few snaps as possible in the bowl game. These guys have worked hard all year, they deserved the opportunity to get some playing time. The outcome of the game was settled, let them play.

Reactions: 2 people
How back and sit back and enjoy the team that I love compete and be allowed to fight their a$$ off from start to finish... because they've earned that opportunity. Players want to play/compete...not go into a shell for an entire quarter.

This is by far the most idiotic thread I had ever came across on here. We killed them and let off the gas as we should have at that point. It's called sportsmanship and I'm glad our staff has it.

Reactions: 1 person
Dumb thread imo. I respect CBJ for allowing has many members of his team get a few snaps as possible in the bowl game. These guys have worked hard all year, they deserved the opportunity to get some playing time. The outcome of the game was settled, let them play.

You're exactly right.....they have earned the right to play. The problem was offensively the 2nd teamers were not allowed to "PLAY"!!!!! They were totally handcuffed!!! I'm not saying try to run up the score...just let the kids play. Three running plays up the middle each series is not allowing them to play.

I get the whole "work on the clock" mindset...but to just completely "tank it" ????? I'm not saying try to hang 60 on an opponent...but these kids work too hard to be completely handcuffed offensively the entire 4th qtr. not to mention putting Dobbs at unnecessary risk ...ex. running him three times in a row from the 10 yard line. The fans who traveled also deserve more for there time and money. Very frustrating and concerning.

What's wrong with letting the 2nd and 3rd string play and have some fun. They work just as hard and deserve the playing time. It wasn't too long ago there were complaints about not blowing teams out so that they could develop the others. SMH!

I agree the play calling had no purpose other than burning time. They did put Dobbs in jeopardy of getting hurt with runs designed to get little or no yards. This is not to trash the staff only to state what I and others saw. I saw Hurd get hurt, Pearson limping and Barnett going to the locker room. If Dobbs would have gotten smashed when Peterman,Lane,Summerhill and Berry were available, many of you piling on the original poster would have turned on the staff just like you always do. If the shoe fit...wear it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
I get the whole "work on the clock" mindset...but to just completely "tank it" ????? I'm not saying try to hang 60 on an opponent...but these kids work too hard to be completely handcuffed offensively the entire 4th qtr. not to mention putting Dobbs at unnecessary risk ...ex. running him three times in a row from the 10 yard line. The fans who traveled also deserve more for there time and money. Very frustrating and concerning.

I agree 100%! Dobbs did not need to be running the ball that late in the 4th.

I will also add that Iowa's last TD was unacceptable. We were celebrating and let them have it.

Aside from that, It's great to be a Tennessee Vol today!

I been following Volnation for several years and of all the stupid posts I have read over the years this has to be the most ignorant. We just beat the S### out of Iowa and you want to cry about how the fans deserved more and running up the score in a game that was over by halftime. Dude you should be happy we won like everyone else and quit complaining about things that don't even matter now. I think everyone that went to the game got their moneys worth. Why you ask? Because we won and won big. So shut up and enjoy the beating we put on Iowa and quit your whining..

I been following Volnation for several years and of all the stupid posts I have read over the years this has to be the most ignorant. We just beat the S### out of Iowa and you want to cry about how the fans deserved more and running up the score in a game that was over by halftime. Dude you should be happy we won like everyone else and quit complaining about things that don't even matter now. I think everyone that went to the game got their moneys worth. Why you ask? Because we won and won big. So shut up and enjoy the beating we put on Iowa and quit your whining..

U shut up...and don't worry about my view points and opinions. I've been around the game a long time. I'm thrilled with the win and the first 3 qtrs were very solid. The 4th qtr simply should've been handled differently. Have a great day!

I've been critical of play calling in the past..... But this is damn ridiculous, I don't think they could have called a better game.

Was the same staff making these calls because it sure didn't look like it. They actually seemed competent with a plan.

I also think the 2nd stringers who have worked hard deserve to get on the field:corso::corso::corso::corso::corso::corso::corso::corso::corso::corso::corso::corso::corso::corso::corso::corso::run::run::run::run::run::run::run::run::run::run::run::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::finger3::finger3::finger3::finger3::finger3::shaking2::shaking2::shaking2::shaking2::shaking2::shaking2::shaking2::shaking2::shaking2::shaking2:

Hey genius...Hurd wasn't in because he got dinged up.

I was fully aware that he was banged and it added to my point. Thanks for pointing out what I hoped you'd obviously get. Apparently your too dumb to realize it. You don't play the future of this team in a blow out or go all out, because you want to run up the score…it would be like putting in a seriously hurt player just so you can win, risking the players career for personal gain, A normal person would hate to get them hurt. They kept him out regardless of injury because it was practically decided and wasn't risk him getting seriously hurt. He was "banged" up but probably not seriously, there wasn't any reason to put him in and run the risk of getting him hurt even more because we were already way up.

The play calling was conservative for obvious reasons that seem to go over your head as most have pointed out here.

Last edited:
I was fully aware that he was banged and it added to my point. Thanks for pointing out what I hoped you'd obviously get. Apparently your too dumb to realize it. You don't play the future of this team in a blow out or go all out, because you want to run up the score…it would be like putting in a seriously hurt player just so you can win, risking the players career for personal gain, A normal person would hate to get them hurt. They kept him out regardless of injury because it was practically decided and wasn't risk him getting seriously hurt. He was "banged" up but probably not seriously, there wasn't any reason to put him in and run the risk of getting him hurt even more because we were already way up.

The play calling was conservative for obvious reasons that seem to go over your head as most have pointed out here.
You're obviously too "dumb" or "lazy" to have read my countless posts on this thread stating not "running up the score"...but simply letting the kids "play"....that means letting WHOEVER was in the game (1st or preferably 2nd teamers) do more than run three and outs right up the middle. It means using a "little" creativity and simply try to convert 1st downs to at least BURN MORE clock...not necessarily score more points!............GENIUS !

VN Store

Back